Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that quarters a shorter, teague really needs to abandon this 'show up at quarter time' tactic.

Martin, cripps, doc, weitering, SPS, Levi were exceptional. Solid from JSOS, Gov, Jones (after a first quarter hiding), murphy, newnes, fisher.

Only disappointments were Dow and Setterfield. Honestly get SPS into the midfield and put willo in defence and drop dow.

To me dow looks full of doubt every time he touches it. He needs an extended stint in the VFL which can't happen now so i'm not sure what to do, but he's pretty clearly the weak link in the team right now.

The big issue and the insanity of this year is there’s no VFL to send Dow or Setterfield to. It also means that players like LOB have next to no match practice.

Of course, it could all be moot in five days when the joint shuts down or one of the players contracts Covid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fantastic debut by Martin.

Not just his goals, but ones he set up too.

And I think he'll be even more valuable once Harry and Charlie are back. He'll have marking targets to hit and he's very good at kicking to advantage.

Martin, Eddie, McKay & Charlie is such a dangerous forward line with skill and X-factor.
Supported by the likes of Cunners, Gov, JSOS & Levi...that's an A grade forward line if they can string some games together.

If only we could actually get them all on the park at the same time...

I suppose another issue is that, after the start we had, we're going to take the following 60-70 minutes; "We gave it our best shot, they're the reigning premiers", etc.

Problem is, if you're going to play finals and win them, you have to beat the best, whether they're switched on or off. If we can't do it now, when are we gonna?

I suppose we will improve as the season goes ahead. Some teams will slip, others will rise. I would like us to ascend the ladder and make finals, but I want it to come not from Cripps/Docherty/Martin, but from SPS/Dow/Walsh/O'Brien.

Yeah, nice not to get pummelled, but we were swatted away anytime Richmond felt the need. Hurt to lose the one guy we needed above all others early.

Outside of Martin being found money I'm not sure we've answered any questions in the off season. Same aimless, reactive play.

Need to find some footballers. Charlie is one, still think Williamson is one, I hope Stocker is one, and LOB is still a chance.

Loved that we fought it out, first half putrid second half a lot better, basic turnovers and poor decision making killing us again... Like our preseason games our structure and positioning in most parts of the ground allowed them way too much easy uncontested ball particularly around the stoppages tonight which was extremely poor... Weitering Cripps Martin JSos Jones Casboult Docherty Fisher led the way all night... DeKoning O’Brien Williamson hopefully are seriously considered next week..

after what i saw being dished up in the first qtr that was a pretty good result. the green maggots just made it so hard in the first.
when we finally got the rub of the green and cripps cut loose we were a completely different side. Such a pity for Krooz. But he always ends up
in these positions poor fella. Hope its not major. If we had him out there for the entire game definitely could've been a different result.
Levi what a champ. Super effort. Does the jumper proud. SPS? This bloke. Such a vital piece of the puzzle.

J. Martin?......
Take a bow my friend...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not Too Bad
Wonder though how many Fuel tickets,we spent..while Tiges jogged it in lifting just enough

Blues were sparked by rough Handling of Murphy 2nd term.. Cost tigers,we dished them a hard contest after that

Dow still lost,at AFL......northern pls...FFS
I guess our list might still be that bad

Coaching is better though

For sure

As a team, we have to work so much harder than the opposition because of how bad our skills are.

Also, tonight showed why many of us were hoping we could snag an a-grade midfielder in last years trade period, we still need good enough help for Cripps in the midfield.

I called his last effort diabolical - got called out and rightly so - must have put in quite an effort to have exactly zero legs at the end there........stirling.......
The behind the goals footage showed Weiters was a long way off the ball. Did show we need a fast small defender. CP could be the man

Caz was great apart from a couple of clearances he failed to compete which cost goals - though one free was a ridiculous advantage as everyone looked to see who the free was going to. To compete as well as he did against 2 ruckmen was admirable. Losing MK detroyed our stucture.

Martin showed everything we wanted.

Silvagni competed well given he is undersized for the role he was asked forand was stiff 2 marks 15 out got taken off him.

Too many of our clearances were hack kicks where as their clearances were streaming to goal. Curnow had a shocker

McGovern could have had a great game if he didn't drop every mark he flew for.

Dow, Cunningham ( couple of goals helps his case), Newman, Gibbons, Setterfield all need to train well or their out

Overall a little flattering as I got the impression Tigers put the cue in the rack after quarter time

Perhaps he's putting too much faith in the ability of some of the assistants?
He's the person ultimately who will be held responsible for it all. If he is, and his faith is misapplied, perhaps things will change over the course of the season. Maybe he takes more onto himself, if only for a single year while the club gets its act together.

Noticed the hesitation too. Someone suggested he has been overcoached. Might be something in it. Last year he played on instinct
Opposition put a lot more time into him and unfortunately his composure isn’t quite there yet, really butchered the ball even at times when not under pressure, however it is Rd1 and even Murph was struggling with his decision making tonight but both will be better for the proper run.

Martin, Doc, Crippa and Weiters were awesome. Best thing about tonight was Doc's return, followed by J Martin Blue debut.
Feel really bad for the big tractor, hopefully not too long on the sideline.
Newnes was ok I thought a bit of mongrel, didn't notice too many shanks and kicked a nice goal.
I reckon Fisher was ok, likewise SPS who will be better for the run.
Need a lot more from Newman (maybe hampered), Gibbons, Dow, Setters and Cunners who drifts into the game from time to time....
Would like to see Philp debut next week thought he showed something in the preseason.
Overall, it could have been way worse.

Next week:
Out: Newman, Kreuzer, Dow
In: Williamson, TDK/Pitonnet, Philp,

Go Blues

David Teague needs to sort out some attitudes in this team.
You cannot gift oppositions big starts.
This has been going on for some time and must stop.
What gives these blokes the right to turn up with anything less than a ferocious, ready to play attitude.
Time to take responsibility NOW !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back