Game Day Freo v Essendon Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

If we can play consistently to the standard we set in that last quarter, there's a lot to like.

Take out our soft start and Townsend's rails ride from Fisher and the result looks significantly different.

Sturt is going to be something very special; although watch the AFL give the rising star nom to generic vic club draftee #4.

Freo need to start the game at the first bounce, not the start of the fourth quarter.

By the way, was Townsend sighted in the second half ?.

Weird game, played poorly for 3 quarters, got an absolute reaming from the umps, but nearly won.

Considering this season will go in the bin soon, nothing to be too upset with. Especially watching Lobb dominate, and Sturt stamp himself as an AFL player.

Hopefully we ease the more skilful players like Sturt, Young and Henry in to eventually replace the WAFL triers over the remaining games and the team will have a lot more class.
Totally agree.

Add Mundy, Young, Serong, Henry, Pearce and Wilson in next 3-4 weeks. Plus Hamling, Hill and Acres mid season.

First game back - rusty, rusty, rusty ...thats normal.

New coach + new system = lack of cohesion. ...that's normal.

Umps go in dry ....thats depressingly normal.

Fyfe fights like hell but gets mugged all game for no frees ....that's also normal. 😬😬😬

A fremantle forward kicks three on debut.... that's not normal... matter of fact its downright bizarre, but delightful.

I wanted the win, given the comeback and the umpire- reaming, but we didnt deserve it, given the way we played.

Despite my dissapointment, I'd call that game a positive.

Might be getting ahead of myself but Sturt has so many obvious AFL traits that he really could become anything and you'd doubt he's a bust from here.

Real real exciting

He moves like an AFL player, whatever that means but when he runs he just looks like he belongs. Add in the fact he can clearly kick, yeah he is going to be a gun.

Overall, fun game. Not upset with the result in the slightest and once we have Young, Henry and Serong in the team we will look a lot better. Banfield is just not an AFL player no matter where he plays.

Might be getting ahead of myself but Sturt has so many obvious AFL traits that he really could become anything and you'd doubt he's a bust from here.

Real real exciting

He has a positive influence whenever he's around the ball, it's rare to find players like that. There's a lot of untapped potential with him. I could even see him build his body and become a midfielder, but I like the Stephenson comparison JLo used for where he is in his development at the moment due to his speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He moves like an AFL player, whatever that means but when he runs he just looks like he belongs. Add in the fact he can clearly kick, yeah he is going to be a gun.

Overall, fun game. Not upset with the result in the slightest and once we have Young, Henry and Serong in the team we will look a lot better. Banfield is just not an AFL player no matter where he plays.
Speed, can grab, very good disposal, smarts in the contest and most ******* importantly in our team, composure and confidence.

Most 1st game players or low IQ players (cough Darcy, cough Tabs) stress themselves out and give away a free in that contest with Hurley - he played it perfectly, twas so ******* impressive

The elephant in the room, so to speak, is Darcy. If only we had 2 Lobbs!!

Darcy can give a cut out, but he’s just not mobile enough for today’s game & he was up against the least mobile ruckman the game has ever seen.

Speed, can grab, very good disposal, smarts in the contest and most ******* importantly in our team, composure and confidence.

Most 1st game players or low IQ players (cough Darcy, cough Tabs) stress themselves out and give away a free in that contest with Hurley - he played it perfectly, twas so ******* impressive

Haha the Sonny spray on Tabs, genuinely made me lol as I was doing the exact same thing. Dumbest footballer by a mile, he just doesn't get the fact he doesn't need to go for every mark. He is a space killer and doesn't come anywhere near in making up for that with his good stuff.

our midfield depth isnt there

mundys guidance will help

Would honestly prefer them to persist with the kids no matter the w/l record. This isn't the season to be relying on Mundy as a mid. Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong when he plays and Tucker. They are the future and shouldn't be pushed out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back