Autopsy Round 1, 2020: Hawks defeat the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Hodge is fu**in legend. His influence far outweighs anything we have seen from Judd or G Ablett Junior. He is able to be organise and lead a football team like no other in the history of the game. His value far outweighs any other player in the game. Pick 1 Luke Hodge every fu**in time

Makes you wonder where GC would be now if they'd leveraged Hodge out of Hawthorn instead of GAJ out of Geelong.

TOB frustrates the crap out of me. I actually thought he looked ok in that 2nd ruck role but he is back to his "almost" days on todays form

Yup, the total package isn't enough if he can't take his marks. He's good enough to be very good when he leaves the iron gloves at home, but bog average when he can't clunk them.

So there were quite a few positives out of that game.
  1. Mitchell, Patton playing the game out.
  2. Frost playing a more than serviceable game down back
  3. Wingard showing what he can do. Jaegar and out midfield more than matching Brisbane
  4. Our versatility to throw players around (even though some on here might think of this as a negative) and they being valuable contributers, Gunners McEvoy, Smithy Burgoyne
  5. Hawthorn win
The two most standout things for me from the game and i know its only one game are
  1. Luke Hodge is fu**in legend. His influence far outweighs anything we have seen from Judd or G Ablett Junior. He is able to be organise and lead a football team like no other in the history of the game. His value far outweighs any other player in the game. Pick 1 Luke Hodge every fu**in time
  2. The second is captain Ben Stratton. Outstanding game on one of the games most elusive and quick players. His positioning and ability to intercept and put his body on the line went a long way in us winning the game.
Liked this especially in reference to Hodgie c.f. Judd & GAblett jnr. There will only be one Hodgie, the General!

Great win. Our structures looked solid and our small forwards were dangerous all game. Thought most players were impressive.

Morrison- Solid
Mitchell- Very good return. Didn’t miss a beat
Worps- Back to his 2019 form
Sicily- A few rusty kicks but one of our most influential
McEvoy- Play him in the ruck and fwd
Frost- Great first up effort. Excellent attack on the hall and mostly good with the ball
Silk- A class above
Jaeger- Disposal was dicey but tackled hard and got to good spots
Frawley- Solid
Smith- Provided good run all game
Cegs- Held his own in the ruck. Loved the tap to Bruest
Gunner- Solid
Wingard- Absolute class. Best on for mine.
Scully- Solid
Bruest- Took his chances which is all you want
Timmy- Almost game for most of the arvo
Stratts- Looked very solid and had the better of Cameron
Patton- Great to have a strong focal point. Good first effort
Shiels- Second best mid after Chad.
Poppy- Great pressure and good use of ball
Hendo- Solid
Ollie- Should've had 2-3. Good tackling efforts.

Everyone pissing and moaning about O'Brien's output when Patton's wasn't much better, honestly I thought they both played an important role. No mystery why our small/mid sized forwards had such a good output. Timmy's almost moments still break packs and let the ball spill down to the little guys.

Wingard is like a breath of fresh air the way he backs himself with ball in hand. That kind of spark can make the world of difference to the confidence of a team.

Clarko would be happy that our whole midfield contributed but Shiels in particular played a very good game.

Charlie Cameron seemed more worried about trying to make a point to Stratts than concentrating on the game.

TOB and Patton combo very promising. Lewis has his work cut out to dislodge the versatility of TOB and Patton just demands so much opposition attention. It would be interesting to see how or if the coaches believe we could fit all three into the team.

I love what Frost brings. Still seems odd with Big Boy down back but I guess time will tell.
Chad really wants to win a game of footy doesn’t he. So much determination. Add to this oodles of talent. How the feck did we manage to get him basically

Jeez Timmy is copping a beating here. He played well enough for mine (apart from that soccer airy). You can't have everyone be the star- Brisbane's defensive strength is their ability up high which is why we didn't have as much output from TOB and Patton. Both played their role well.
Morrison also seems to be copping heat which I don't understand- it's his first game in a new position and it appears he's under more direction to be kicking the pill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez Timmy is copping a beating here. He played well enough for mine (apart from that soccer airy). You can't have everyone be the star- Brisbane's defensive strength is their ability up high which is why we didn't have as much output from TOB and Patton. Both played their role well.
Morrison also seems to be copping heat which I don't understand- it's his first game in a new position and it appears he's under more direction to be kicking the pill.

obriens kick to chad was sublime. Talls don have to be near the goals in modern footy

Everyone pissing and moaning about O'Brien's output when Patton's wasn't much better, honestly I thought they both played an important role. No mystery why our small/mid sized forwards had such a good output. Timmy's almost moments still break packs and let the ball spill down to the little guys.

Difference is one of those two is obviously going to be a key pillar of our forward set-up moving forward. It was his first game for the club and spent most of the game with two KPD's babysitting him - one of them being one of the best KPD's in the game.

The other has had 5 good games at the back end of last year (and <10 in a career to date), and is a large part of the reason why our best forward is playing in the backline, and our best young KPF wasn't in the side.

Granted those 5 games were very promising, so he deserves his chance this season. But he cannot play like he did yesterday and keep his spot.

Difference is one of those two is obviously going to be a key pillar of our forward set-up moving forward. It was his first game for the club and spent most of the game with two KPD's babysitting him - one of them being one of the best KPD's in the game.

The other has had 5 good games at the back end of last year (and <10 in a career to date), and is a large part of the reason why our best forward is playing in the backline, and our best young KPF wasn't in the side.

Granted those 5 games were very promising, so he deserves his chance this season. But he cannot play like he did yesterday and keep his spot.

Darcy Gardiner was his opponent for the most part, and he's not exactly a terrible defender. He's probably amongst the worst match-ups for Tim in the league.

Since losing Hodge, Lewis, Roughy we are starting to get some tough buggers back.

Happy with the addition of Frost. He is a hard nut ..... good luck if you get in his way! Plays on the edge. And when Worpel wasn’t happy with Robinson at one stage he gave him a love tap bump that sent Robinson flying off his feet.

Players with a bit of mongrel, not taking a backward step approach has always been a key ingredient to our success.

Last edited:
Great point.

Our small forwards combined for their best output in probably 4 years.
It shouldn't be lost on anyone that this was largely due to Patton, Obrien continually competing and bringing the ball to ground.

By gee Patton is huge for us. played a great team game. He's more effective than Roughy over the past 2 years in the sense the he's just so strong in the contest. Absolute brute to get out of the way. Obrien was on the cusp of ripping it apart.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back