Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
NT Premier has urged anyone in the state who can afford it to order at least one takeaway a day to support local business.

It's great in theory, but we also can't get to gyms at the moment to work it off.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah we are keeping our kids home. My son would/will be fine, but my daughter has co-morbidities and it's just not worth the risk of him bringing something home. She was home most of last week with unrelated illness, but we decided lat night it was time to make the call.
Same here, it was after the weekends spike in both news and figures. It's just not worth it.
Am perfectly okay with looking silly after this for being over-cautious, but being safe...than being very sick or six foot under.
A lot of people out there seem disconnected from the media and news. There needs to be government TV and radio ads, I realise they don't want to cause mass panic, but they need some urgency to them!?
Meanwhile, no beers with the boys!!!

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
NT Premier has urged anyone in the state who can afford it to order at least one takeaway a day to support local business.

It's great in theory, but we also can't get to gyms at the moment to work it off.
Takeaway doesn’t necessarily mean unhealthy. We’ve got a juice van that sells nothing but freshly pressed juices sand smoothies and healthy food. It’s great.

Takeaway doesn’t necessarily mean unhealthy. We’ve got a juice van that sells nothing but freshly pressed juices sand smoothies and healthy food. It’s great.
While true there is other less healthy options out there that will struggle to stay open otherwise if they don't get business.
Some might say that's not a bad thing

You can exercise at home.

I gave my girls choice last and they choose to go to school. Perfectly fit and healthy so I have no issues with that. I expect the decision will be taking out of their/our hands shortly anyway.

I am at work today and was on train. Was literally empty seats everywhere.

My wife and I were talking about this last night. Our local pub has only been open for about a year. It's privately owned, and they have done a great job. They are obviously shut from today but have been doing pre-packed takeaway meals for the last few days so hopefully they can continue, so we can support them.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Roads were unusually packed for a Monday heading into Bibra Lake. Usually there's a Tuesday rush. Perhaps a fair chunk are heading to work to grab critical items so they can set up from home.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
My wife and I were talking about this last night. Our local pub has only been open for about a year. It's privately owned, and they have done a great job. They are obviously shut from today but have been doing pre-packed takeaway meals for the last few days so hopefully they can continue, so we can support them.

Yeah, we instituted a take away a week policy at home. Only bit of coronavirus news the kids reacted with "yay!"

Roads were unusually packed for a Monday heading into Bibra Lake. Usually there's a Tuesday rush. Perhaps a fair chunk are heading to work to grab critical items so they can set up from home.
Everyone is avoiding public transport too.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
I gave my girls choice last and they choose to go to school. Perfectly fit and healthy so I have no issues with that. I expect the decision will be taking out of their/our hands shortly anyway.

I am at work today and was on train. Was literally empty seats everywhere.
I know I joked about it the night before but I did decide to come home from work yesterday because my sniffles turned into a sore throat and a cough. I’m more than happy to tough it out and keep working but I’ve decided I’ll stay home until I’m 100% as I work with a lot of middle aged and older people; I’m the youngest person on my crew my a long way and most of the people I work with are my parents age (45-55).

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I honestly think he made the wrong call proceeding with round 1 but I don’t pretend for a moment that he hasn’t been under enormous pressure or that he made what he genuinely believed was the best decision

Not going to lie, I shed a tear listening to his press conference on the radio this afternoon. Football has been the bass guitar for my life for as long as I can remember. It was my bedrock. I was obsessed with it to the point I would drive 30kms to watch players train through a fence up until the day I was told by Simpson to stop (for those that ever wondered, the club does read this board)

Today, it was taken away and the fact I knew it was coming didn’t soften the blow one iota

For me, it was the moment the reality of what we’re facing hit home and believe me when I say my own personal situation means I was already acutely aware of the challenges ahead of me (and that has nothing to do with my perceived age)

The impacts, even setting aside the inevitable loss of life, are going to be significant and long lasting. Job losses will be unprecedented as will business collapses, big and small.

I do ubereats for a living. In the coming days I’ll walk into restaurants that won’t exist by the time this is over. My daughter works at one of them and as of tonight she has no more shifts. Hopefully they get through so she has something to go back to eventually

Government is faced with impossible choices - doing what needs to be done for public health reasons knowing that every measure taken to combat the virus spread digs an ever deepening hole for our economy to climb out of

The world will be different. Football in all likelihood will be different and I miss it already

That makes me sad

I know exactly what you mean Keys. When it comes to footy, there is nothing else in my life quite like it - each year I go to every single home game, think about it the entire week afterwards (and sometimes have it ruined) play and train at my ammos club, get on the piss with the boys relentlessly, and just dedicate a ridiculous amount of time to football. Because I need to talk it when I'm at home, I'm on BF everyday.

The only sport I am truly obsessed with is Australian rules football, and I'm completely certain it is the best in the world. Having all this cut out of my life is, well, hard to put into words. I ******* hate it. I have plenty of other interests, but when it comes down to it, this sport is part of the fabric of my life. I can't imagine each day without it, and that exactly what I have to do now.

I highly doubt that things will be fundamentally changed, however. If the Spanish flu, the Great Despression, WWI and WW2 didn't do that, then I'm not sure how this is any different. I mean, for God's sake, if a club like St Kilda doesn't go under because of those events 70 years ago, then I doubt Coronoavirus is gonna be the thing that cripples it completely. And you can expand that out for football; if WW2 didn't kill it, or change it fundamentally, than I doubt this will.

And you can take a step back and look at it in terms of society as a whole - since this will not destroy the fabric we have in place, since it won't make us change the established system or the ways in which we deal with things, then you can be 100% certain things will not be irrecoverably changed. I don't want to discount the fact this will kill people, because it will. That can never be brushed over or minimised, but the point I'm making is that what we call society will return to normal, probably in 2-3 months. That's only with harsh action, though.

I personally would be very happy if this changed society fundamentally. There are certain things that are modern day examples of atrocious evil - the US medical system, for example. Those will not change as a result of this, however. That's the worst thing about coronavirus - it seems like an end of the world scenario without any teeth. It's actually a massive inconvenience that won't change the status quo in the slightest. People will die from this, and we will carry on as though nothing happened when it sputters out. What should be learned from a situation like this will be ignored in favour of what's already there, as history tells us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back