Dark Side of the Ring/Tales from the Territories (On SBS)

Remove this Banner Ad

While season one featured six episodes, season two will be ten episodes with nine subjects meaning one will be two hours instead of their customary one. Some of the topics confirmed include:
  • Herb Abrams, founder of the UWF

That one will be awesome. The Abrams UWF is a terrific story on so many levels. It was a trainwreck of a promotion (there had already been two incredibly successful promotions called UWF), Abrams himself was hilarious (his famous call of "Let's hear it for the Jews!" on one of their PPVs was off the charts wrong) and his ultimate fate will make for great viewing. If anyone doesn't know the story, don't spoil it by reading up on him.

Last edited:

While season one featured six episodes, season two will be ten episodes with nine subjects meaning one will be two hours instead of their customary one. Some of the topics confirmed include:

• The Chris Benoit story (expected to be the two hour focus)(
  • Brawl For All
  • The life and times of Dino Bravo
  • New Jack
  • Herb Abrams, founder of the UWF
  • The life and times of Owen Hart
Hopefully none of the crew were stabbed during the making of that particular episode. :eek:

Just found it on the TV Guide... It's back on SBS Viceland at 10:25 pm next Monday night March-30... So 4 days after the U.S screening.

My mum bought me a Chris Benoit lunchbox for Christmas the year after he killed his family. No idea where she got it from but she's a massive tight-arse so i suppose some supermarket was giving them away or something. I never opened it.

Serious offers accepted via PM.

I knew Eddie's death affected Benoit but man the first episode really put into perspective how bad it really was. That picture of Benoit at home outside was really awful to look at in particular.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was good but limited for a couple reasons. One, fitting it into a pre-existing TV series formula of 2 45-minute episodes with a forced happy ending. Two, everyone at WWE is (rightly) too terrified to talk about it.

Some day when Vince McMahon is gone and the wrestlers are too old to want to stay silent (bet William Regal has stuff to say) we'll get a great documentary feature about Chris Benoit. David Benoit will be deeper into adulthood and inevitably there'll be more early wrestler deaths to reference, which will add to the tale.

Last edited:
I have so many thoughts about this, despite the fact that I don't think it actually gave us any new information.

Which is probably my primary opinion. This was an important story to tell. But at the same time, it didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

- It kind of troubled me how much they intertwined Eddy into the story. To me, the suggestion that Benoit just couldn't cope with grief is kind of an excuse/justification. Which I don't believe is the case. The pertinent question is "would Benoit have done this if Eddy were still alive?" People will have different views on that, but I suspect that he probably still would have.

- It absolutely troubled me watching JR explain that WWE didn't know what had happened when they did that tribute show. I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember reading on the Monday (our time) unconfirmed reports that he was dead at about the time that he was due to appear on the PPV. I remembered reading more details on the Tuesday morning (before Raw). I already had a very strong feeling that Benoit had done this, and WWE went ahead with the tribute show (which I couldn't watch the whole way through, and I never did.)

- At the time I was already aware of CTE, and as a result of the Benoit tragedy I became even more aware. So watching this doco, I felt too much time was given to the roid rage theory. It almost feels like it was included just to talk about WWE's (admittedly shitty) "Wellness policy."

- I totally agree with Jericho when he said that Woman deserves to be in the WWE HOF. It's a shame that her surname at the time that she died will prevent that ever happening.

I didn't watch wrestling for nearly 5 years after this happened, and I still can't watch a Benoit match, because I thought - and still think - that wrestling did this to him (and because I think the evidence that he'd done this was clear before the tribute show and they went ahead with it anyway).

But I don't think it was roid rage or Eddy's death - I firmly believe that it was CTE that did this. And everything that's happened in sport since then, particularly in the NFL, backs this up.

An another note, has anyone come across the "Dark Side of the Ring - After Dark" think that they were promoting during the show? I've looked on YouTube and on "nefarious methods" and haven't come across anything.

- At the time I was already aware of CTE, and as a result of the Benoit tragedy I became even more aware. So watching this doco, I felt too much time was given to the roid rage theory. It almost feels like it was included just to talk about WWE's (admittedly shitty) "Wellness policy."

That was included because when the story was covered by mainstream media, all they could talk about is that roid rage made him do it.

- It absolutely troubled me watching JR explain that WWE didn't know what had happened when they did that tribute show. I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember reading on the Monday (our time) unconfirmed reports that he was dead at about the time that he was due to appear on the PPV. I remembered reading more details on the Tuesday morning (before Raw). I already had a very strong feeling that Benoit had done this, and WWE went ahead with the tribute show (which I couldn't watch the whole way through, and I never did.)

The murder-suicide details were coming out while Raw was on the air weren't they? I don't think I watched it either but seem to remember people mentioning the mood shifting in the wrestler interviews.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back