Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read Dangerfields comments about wanting more “certainty” from the AFL. What a self-centred ignorant meathead. In case you didnt realise Patrick - the whole world is dealing with a health and financial crisis.

Absolute moron.
I just saw Jack Riewoldt's comments, truth stings huh Jackie boy. The players can't demand to be paid in line with AFL revenue then cry about getting less when that revenue no longer exist, their coworkers have just been laid off yet they still want to keep their pay around 50+%

No-one has any idea how long this will run for. We're flattening the curve. We're not stopping the virus.

I'm hoping like everyone else that someone finds a miracle cure or that we're somehow special vs other countries on the same path. But hope is not a strategy

Our strategy has been to find and isolate it.
That's why we have a high number detected ( find ) , and a low number of serious cases.
There is evidence that we are doing this well, which makes me surprised at some of the criticism i'm seeing , to i'm guessing its just ordinary old political , "anything we do is wrong " bullshit.

I just saw Jack Riewoldt's comments, truth stings huh Jackie boy. The players can't demand to be paid in line with AFL revenue then cry about getting less when that revenue no longer exist, their coworkers have just been laid off yet they still want to keep their pay around 50+%
What did he say? Got an article or something where I can read their stupidity?

That's why we have a high number detected ( find ) , and a low number of serious cases.
There is evidence that we are doing this well, which makes me surprised at some of the criticism i'm seeing , to i'm guessing its just ordinary old political , "anything we do is wrong " bullshit.
Like I said earlier, we will get a lot worse when the flu starts doing the rounds. Comorbidity levels increase during winter

It is the ONLY THING we're doing well as a government, everything else is a joke.

At what point do we get out of lockdown though? Who says that we will not see a second spike the moment cases start to decline?

We’re dealing with a threat that we cannot see. I still agree that for the time being a total lockdown may be the way to go, but there may need to be a point where we start to see the damage we are causing to our economy and make a decision to return to life as normal.
Yes, if there are any cases in the community when the lockdown ends, we end up straight back here.

This is why the total shutdown some have said should have been done, wasnt. It would decimate the economy, and you couldn't keep it up long enough to clear the country of the disease, so the moment it ends, you end up back here again.

Some *head rocked up to a chemist and infected people when he knew he had the virus

Getting to the point they need to find someplace and physically lock these campaigners up for the 14 days to make them stay in

If you break quarantine * fines put the campaigners in jail

Do you want to see your club running around in 2021? cancelling your membership is one of the worst things you can do right now.

Depends on your individual situation. Won’t blame anyone who wants a refund this year. People are losing jobs that $500 odd a year may be handy in the short term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players are looking very ordinary with their demands, people are dying/losing jobs and they wont take a significant paycut.
They are young and precious. Most have had it good all of their life and have no coping mechanisms or experience with hardship whatsoever. Thats becoming really apparent through all of this.

Oh he will. He can only deflect for so long and people have long memories. The Americans won’t forget this pompous fools right wing approach at the start and his downright silly comments now. There is only so much bluster/rhetoric he can use. His days are numbered.

and he won’t give a s**t

‘everything tells me they have been underpaid..and the afl was spending the bonanza on drones and drone departments insisted of hedging for the future

"Politicians are being courted by scientists…scientists who want to be important to get money for their institutions. Scientists who just swim along in the mainstream and want their part of it […] And what is missing right now is a rational way of looking at things.

We should be asking questions like “How did you find out this virus was dangerous?”, “How was it before?”, “Didn’t we have the same thing last year?”, “Is it even something new?” That’s missing."

"there is a very good example that we all forget: the swine flu in 2009. That was a virus that reached the world from Mexico and until today there is no vaccination against it. But what? At that time there was no Facebook or there maybe was but it was still in its infancy. The coronavirus, in contrast, is a virus with public relations."

If we get it per capita as bad as Italy, its a few thousand dead.
But we are tracking much better.
So far hospitals keeping up with serious cases.

It is not going to kill us all.. take a chill pill.
You cannot compare with Italy. Italy took it lightly early on. When they were at the stage we are in, they had done little testing, so there 'infected' numbers were really low, and REALLY REALLY wrong. Then when it hit their hospitals, and they started testing really sick people, the numbers started to go up.

Lots of the positive cases died quickly, because they didn't get detected until they were seriously ill.

Australia is doing much more testing, and we are testing earlier. So our death rate looks much better than Italy's, and it almost certainly is to a degree.

So we are much further behind Italy than it looks from the numbers.

Some fu**head rocked up to a chemist and infected people when he knew he had the virus

Getting to the point they need to find someplace and physically lock these campaigners up for the 14 days to make them stay in

If you break quarantine fu** fines put the campaigners in jail

‘if infected people don’t have support to get supplies, the community should quarantine them

so what happens they get fined or jailed? That's not quarantine either

Some fu**head rocked up to a chemist and infected people when he knew he had the virus

Source?

A few days ago in Springvale two workers who knew they had the virus, went back to work. Not even reported on the news.

If we get it per capita as bad as Italy, its a few thousand dead.
But we are tracking much better.
So far hospitals keeping up with serious cases.

It is not going to kill us all.. take a chill pill.
Italy has 'stabilised' for the past 3 days at ~5,000 new cases and ~600 deaths every day.

So let's do a retrospective on Italy's numbers over 4 days back when they had <3000 cases (these are nationwide totals, not new daily cases):
March 1: 1,577 cases, 41 deaths
March 2: 1,835 cases, 52 deaths
March 3: 2,263 cases, 79 deaths
March 4: 2,706 cases, 107 deaths

Compare it to Australia's last 4 days at <3000 cases:
March 22: 1,352 cases, 7 deaths
March 23: 1,680 cases, 7 deaths
March 24: 2,050 cases, 7 deaths
March 25: 2,430 cases, 8 deaths

So given that we are tracking more or less exactly the same in terms of rate of infection, just lagging 20 days behind, it's impossible to say that we're tracking better in that department. The big difference is rate of deaths, which have been negligible in Aus (0.5 percent). There could be lots of things to explain this, better information and treatment available now vs 20 days ago, that the bulk of cases here have been in the 30-50 age bracket.

The biggest problem with your post is that you assume the virus has peaked in Italy, and that the total number of deaths there is indicative of what we can expect here. Nobody knows that information. Here's what is knowable: if the number of infections keeps doubling in Aus. every 2-3 days, it will spread more into the older population, we will see the death rate climb. We cannot reduce risk if we don't reduce infections. Lockdown is inevitable.

Mcchins. Some guy got infected at a chemist and is fighting for his life
How does that happen though? I thought either you had to be coughed on, sneezed on, spend 15 minutes with a person in closeish contact. Didn't think just walking past someone and breathing on them gives it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back