2020 Non-Crows AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok since there's a lot of discussion I'm just going to post the SoNGs (set of national guidelines) definitions that basically everyone within the public health network should be adhering to.

At least where I am at, there is the expectation that the requirements around overseas travel or contact with a confirmed case will be relaxed. The reason they are still in place is likely to ensure adequate supply of testing kits and to make sure labs don't get overwhelmed. I'd expect as supplies of tests increase and more labs are bought online to do testing (which is happening), this will be what allows us to test further.

some what of a fair call, I didn't think you were having a crack at any one I just wanted to expand the conversation. medical practitioner is not who you want, you need a epidemiologist. the key point with all of this is what does the bell curve look like and how can we take what has occurred in South Korea, China, Japan and Hong kong and project that upon Australia's or Canada's situation. multiple different factors in play, culture, health care etc. but lots of comparables

the significant issue is how far along the curve Australia is and how close is the official testing is to the real number of people infected, most recent studies i have read that Australia is catching one in four cases. those numbers aren't bad but there not great Australia has preformed the 4th most test in the world but that is still less than 30% of what South Korea has done, Australia was slow on social distancing and locking everything down. given the disease path as noted by other countries Australia is in the first 15 days of 100 + day cycle. So given Australia is testing less people than the only democratic country to hamper this virus it would be fair to say it will be on par or worse than South Korea, considering South Korea locked s**t down earlier and have been playing big brother with infected peoples phones. currently Australia's infection rate day on day increase is below where South Korea's was but not by much. I would recommend looking the two links below. and on the point of government data they will never given prediction info but the trends are easy to see. Stay safe.

our testing per capita exceeds South Korea if our medical mouthpieces are to be believed.

There are new guidelines for testing passed tonight they just said on Sky, the reason it was restricted was because of the limit on test kits but as more are becoming available they are able to relax the testing guidelines somewhat.

per capita we’re testing in the top handful of countries globally. What more can you do? There’s only so many kits and so many people that can use them. The SA CMO said that lots of people are being tested outside of the COVID guidelines because when people are being tested for other issues, they’re throwing that in as well. I have no option but to trust the medical people. Anything else is for the weirdo hysterical people that run their own show on this.

Players can get stuffed and be fired
They're no different to other workers ....the AFL are generous offering 80% discount ....they should take it whilst it's still on the Table

Dangerfield quickly confirming his FIGJAM status

Poor bugger.
We're not so different to everyone else, I already got paid $400k this year to do some fitness training and play 1 match in front of an empty stadium.
Over the next 2 months, if the AFL get their way, I may only get paid $26k to stay at home and watch some Netflix.
After that 2 months, I want my other $266k.
I also know a guy who might have walked past a Centrelink office once, and I feel like many AFL players are just like him.

No real mention of the long term AFL club staff who have been turfed out because of this.

Poor bugger.
We're not so different to everyone else, I already got paid $400k this year to do some fitness training and play 1 match in front of an empty stadium.
Over the next 2 months, if the AFL get their way, I may only get paid $26k to stay at home and watch some Netflix.
I also know a guy who might have walked past a Centrelink office once, and I feel like many AFL players are just like him.

No real mention of the long term AFL club staff who have been turfed out because of this.

The way it's going even after this pandemic there will not be large crowds at games anymore, no one will be able to afford it unless prices decrease considerably.

Poor bugger.

Nah that's not fair, they have to keep fit over the next few months by themselves if they want to keep their hundreds of thousands of dollars a year jobs.

The way it's going even after this pandemic there will not be large crowds at games anymore, no one will be able to afford it unless prices decrease considerably.
No one will want to go and watch these selfish brats more to the point

Nah that's not fair, they have to keep fit over the next few months by themselves if they want to keep their hundreds of thousands of dollars a year jobs.
"Other players have cash in the bank and others are basically living paycheck to paycheck, like a lot of Australia. " - Isaac Smith

They might have investment houses that they need to make repayments on, people could have family issues that they need the money to pay for them to get through.” - Tom Rockliff

“There’s going to be people in the AFL world, especially players, that are going to have to put up their houses for sale because of this situation and we’re just like everyone else.” - Jake Lever

Boy oh boy, wowee. These blokes really do live in a bubble.

Some may have to sell one of their investment properties - ScoMo, what are you doing for these poor buggers

AFLPA directive: All AFL players must maintain the minimum fitness and dietary standards of Mitch McGovern to be deemed AFL standard post-break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Other players have cash in the bank and others are basically living paycheck to paycheck, like a lot of Australia. " - Isaac Smith

They might have investment houses that they need to make repayments on, people could have family issues that they need the money to pay for them to get through.” - Tom Rockliff

“There’s going to be people in the AFL world, especially players, that are going to have to put up their houses for sale because of this situation and we’re just like everyone else.” - Jake Lever

Boy oh boy, wowee. These blokes really do live in a bubble.

Some may have to sell one of their investment properties - ScoMo, what are you doing for these poor buggers

Won't somebody think of the investment properties!!!

It's up there with that thing about the average career of a football player being x years and them having limited time to earn the money, as if they are so special it's the only thing they should ever have to do with their lives.

It's a massive head start for a guy in their early 20's and with the smallest amount of effort (ie. not spending all spare time playing golf and XBox) and a willingness to drop the ego they'd walk into pretty comfortable jobs with a number of club sponsors etc.

there should not be a single listed AFL player who is living paycheck to paycheck

What a crock

Even the smallest rookie contract is $60k?

Unless they've been on a rookie contract for less than two years there is no way that any AFL footballer should be close to getting ****ed from this right now

We have not been testing for community transmission.

What do you call it when the virus races through a cruise ship. Are there mass orgies on these cruises (possibly, perhaps Vader can inform us) or is it due to people sharing spaces (restaurants), sneezing, touching door knobs? Sounds like community transmission to me.

There are now 2,136 X ??? people in Australia who have been carrying covid 19 on planes, train, buses, sitting in restaurants, pubs, clubs, coffee shops, gyms, work places, schools, sporting events. I am pretty confident that we will discover a butt load of community transmissions in the next few weeks.

How about the people rocking up to hospital with Covid-19 that haven’t been overseas or on a cruise or associated with same.
im thinking the lack of these is why they are saying there’s no community transmission.

some what of a fair call, I didn't think you were having a crack at any one I just wanted to expand the conversation. medical practitioner is not who you want, you need a epidemiologist. the key point with all of this is what does the bell curve look like and how can we take what has occurred in South Korea, China, Japan and Hong kong and project that upon Australia's or Canada's situation. multiple different factors in play, culture, health care etc. but lots of comparables

the significant issue is how far along the curve Australia is and how close is the official testing is to the real number of people infected, most recent studies i have read that Australia is catching one in four cases. those numbers aren't bad but there not great Australia has preformed the 4th most test in the world but that is still less than 30% of what South Korea has done, Australia was slow on social distancing and locking everything down. given the disease path as noted by other countries Australia is in the first 15 days of 100 + day cycle. So given Australia is testing less people than the only democratic country to hamper this virus it would be fair to say it will be on par or worse than South Korea, considering South Korea locked s**t down earlier and have been playing big brother with infected peoples phones. currently Australia's infection rate day on day increase is below where South Korea's was but not by much. I would recommend looking the two links below. and on the point of government data they will never given prediction info but the trends are easy to see. Stay safe.

I was listening to dr Norman Swan yesterday and I believe Australia has performed the most tests of any country over 150K

How about the people rocking up to hospital with Covid-19 that haven’t been overseas or on a cruise or associated with same.
im thinking the lack of these is why they are saying there’s no community transmission.
Official figures today is that there are 115 covid-19 cases who did not come from overseas and had no knowing contact with someone who has tested positive. The are more than 400 covid-19 cases who are yet to be classified as
- Recently returned from overseas/cruise or
- Recent contact with people who had travelled overseas/cruise or
- Other (= community transmission)

Since more than 1,000,000 people arrived in Australia in the last month and were given a piece of paper asking them to self-isolate, how do you know if
1) You were sitting next to one of these people on a plane?
2) You were standing next to one of these people at the Port Elliot Bakery?
3) You were standing behind one of these people at the Bar at the Rugby League (Go Sharkies)?

If all the infected cases were people coming from overseas or people with direct contact with these people then if all people coming from overseas observed the 14 day rule then new cases should start falling in the next week.

I hope you are correct but 115 cases of community transmission puts us 3 weeks behind Italy.

All players should now be on whatever the lowest paid players usually earn. If it's good enough for them to survive on, it's good enough for the Dangerfields of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back