Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No-one knows.

But imo the feral MSM and their sponsors have leveraged this virus [global mortality rate less than the flu on current stats] in a wired-up hyper-political world to an extent that no-one has ever experienced before, whereby the conventional advice of not locking in your losses by going liquid, and riding it out, is a bit like whistling in the wind as your capital evaporates.

One option is to ring-fence some of your capital by converting a % of your invested super into cash, still in your super fund, and re-enter the market when the tide rises. 15% -20% down should see a bottoming out, normally, but I foresee the market losing a lot more over the next month, burning more capital.

[Speaking as a retiree investor currently down a considerable amount dollar-wise so far].
Basically this is what I have done kinda frozen what the super can do in regards to whats there and converted to cash and it stays in the super fund and just a wait and see approach,please note I am well before retirement age.
Spoken to many people they say oh it will come back as in the market and I agree but for peace of mind seems the sound thing to do.

Basically this is what I have done kinda frozen what the super can do in regards to whats there and converted to cash and it stays in the super fund and just a wait and see approach,please note I am well before retirement age.
Spoken to many people they say oh it will come back as in the market and I agree but for peace of mind seems the sound thing to do.
The thing is, you don't actually 'lose' any money unless your company goes bankrupt and the shares are zero. Check your stock quality/blue chip. I mean, if you bought $200K worth of BHP at say 130 and now at 124, you only lose money if you sell now.

With super, if you are still working, it's a work in progress. But when retired, events like CV mean that private pension income % eats into capital. Depending on age/capital, this can be a problem, especially with a 15% plus negative growth as at now.

If you are young, you should have nothing to worry about re super - 20+ years to retirement? Don't sweat it.

Last edited:

The thing is, you don't actually 'lose' any money unless your company goes bankrupt and the shares are zero. Check your stock quality/blue chip. I mean, if you bought $200K worth of BHP at say 130 and now at 124, you only lose money if you sell now.

With super, if you are still working, it's a work in progress. But when retired, events like CV mean that private pension income % eats into capital. Depending on age/capital, this can be a problem, especially with a 15% plus negative growth as at now.

If you are young, you should have nothing to worry about re super - 20+ years to retirement? Don't sweat it.
Good post.

The bold is where I am at but not going to worry about it as I am sure that there others worse of than me.

Some tough times ahead for some people.

Good post.

The bold is where I am at but not going to worry about it as I am sure that there others worse of than me.

Some tough times ahead for some people.
Ditto me re bold. The financial advisers have no clue for the reasons I set out a few posts above.

One of the few times I wished I was 90 and can't spend...

We need more horsepower. Your avatar cavalcade of racing stars is a great distraction from bad times.

I am learning about horses finally so I have a developing soft spot as long as they aren't trying to kill me.
A distraction anew for you :)

Could I ask what you mean re the bolded? Do you ride?

I'm learning to ride and care for them. My boyfriend has a horse and he wanted me to be able to look after it if he couldn't for a time. He was also keen for me to learn to ride so I have had a few short lessons but mostly learning how to look after it.

It seems like im devoting all my time and half my disposable income to some big snorting beast that treats me like a crash test dummy.

The horse is trouble too.

I'm learning to ride and care for them. My boyfriend has a horse and he wanted me to be able to look after it if he couldn't for a time. He was also keen for me to learn to ride so I have had a few short lessons but mostly learning how to look after it.

It seems like im devoting all my time and half my disposable income to some big snorting beast that treats me like a crash test dummy.

Horse riding is wonderful.

Looking after a horse even more pleasurable.

ive done that before and giving them a wash and taking them for a pick of grass and a swim are treasured times.

Good luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horses are excellent creatures - free and graceful and as wild as the wind. But expensive to run if you live in a city.

I learned to ride at 5, in the country. On a nasty Shetland pony. Had my own 15.5 hand stock horse at age 8, and did county gymkhanas [flag and barrel races etc + dressage]; cattle round-ups to the stockyards with cattle dogs and stockwhips [I never used one because I nearly took my eye out aged 9]; crossing rivers with my horse swimming and me hanging on to her mane, wet as a shag; hunting with hounds - on my first hunt I was 'blooded' across my forehead with the hot liver ripped out of the prey; I thought that was really cool but my mother nearly had a heart attack as she thought her golden haired only child had had an accident.

[I don't hunt now and am against blood sports. Even fishing].

And hacking around in the sticks. Have also broken in foals as a kid - gently: soft halter on first and leading around the yard. Then saddle blanket. Foal doesn't like saddle blanket so snorts and bucks on its long foal legs. Then a small racing saddle with surcingle and buckles. Then bridle and bit. Then about 2 weeks later I climb on. Bucking and whinnying.

Nothing rough as you want a soft mouth. And you ride stock horses, rounding up cattle, with your knees, as they turn on a dime.

One of the 6 best smells/scents is a horse's muzzle. Right up with freshly baked bread, fresh hay, newly mowed lawn, coffee and burning leaves.

Good luck with your horse...

Horse riding is wonderful.

Looking after a horse even more pleasurable.

ive done that before and giving them a wash and taking them for a pick of grass and a swim are treasured times.

Good luck.
Reckless ,
Racehorse trainer Tommy Woodcock with 'Reckless', runner-up in the 1977 Melbourne Cup. Horse and trainer both died in 1985 - within weeks of one another

1585033065449.png

Bargain hunters hit stock exchange.

Two that have increased are for Payday (or something like that) and a debt collection company.
Afterpay up 25%. Don't know about the debt collector. There have been some big buys today including gold and some oil stocks (Santos up 19%). Maybe too early to buy with any surety given how long this crisis might continue. I actually took advantage of higher prices to sell (dump) some financial stocks. I think the old rules about buying and selling shares are next to meaningless now.

Reckless ,
Racehorse trainer Tommy Woodcock with 'Reckless', runner-up in the 1977 Melbourne Cup. Horse and trainer both died in 1985 - within weeks of one another

View attachment 845947
And you may not know this, but one of Reckless’ owners Joan Walker is still going regulariy week on week to the races. I see her all the time enjoying her passion.

She owned the horse with her mother.

(At the moment, she’s not going, as we the public locked out as it were. Fair call.)

Beautiful picture.

Reckless ,

View attachment 845947
Reckless didnt win a race until start 33. Then proceeded to win the Sydney, Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane Cup and 2nd in the Melbourne cup. That is quite amazing!

Reckless didnt win a race until start 33. Then proceeded to win the Sydney, Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane Cup and 2nd in the Melbourne cup. That is quite amazing!
And then ran a gallant third in the Perth Cup, Golden Centre won that year if I recall correctly.

The 2002 GF side was my proudest moment barracking for the Pies.
We came within 9 or so points of winning a flag, with Bucks, a few warriors in Rocca Licuria and Burns and mainly just journeymen, role players and kids. Credit goes to Malthouse mostly.

We had come from being s**t for many years to respectable in 2001 then into a GF in 2002.
Was a great time to go to the footy (met a lot of great online Pies at that time) and I’m looking forward to the club finding that spark again.

The 2002 GF side was my proudest moment barracking for the Pies.
We came within 9 or so points of winning a flag, with Bucks, a few warriors in Rocca Licuria and Burns and mainly just journeymen, role players and kids. Credit goes to Malthouse mostly.

We had come from being s**t for many years to respectable in 2001 then into a GF in 2002.
Was a great time to go to the footy (met a lot of great online Pies at that time) and I’m looking forward to the club finding that spark again.
An almost text book case study of how one player almost won a grand final for his team.

master class by Buckley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back