Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

"MEMBER OF THE KEEP POLITICS OFF THE FOOTBALL GROUND MOVEMENT"

Jesus. Are you also member of the "Goodes is a sook but Folau is just calling it as he sees it" movement?

I'm pretty sure he was saying it ironically - in response to those who were calling others snowflakes whist simultaneously complaining about others.

The trade proves what I’ve always suspected. Port Adelaide are complete idiots. Why would you willingly trade out Wingard? Absolute madness. Why would you willingly trade out Burgoyne?
That’s crazy town. Conversely Hawks recruiters are like reverse zombies feeding on the lack of brains of opposition recruiters.

I’m on my sixth bourbon. Stay healthy Hawkers.

I always rated his talent but thought he was a flog. A change of colours often fixes the second part.

He wasn't a flog to begin with. I feel that how he played, and looked whilst playing (slick hair, plays with flair, etc) colors our perception of him. If you see what he does in the community and listen to his interviews you'll see he is an extremely conscientious person, but we mostly just see what he does on the field. I think most of us fell for that trap, me included - it's the old don't judge a book by its cover adage.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't a flog to begin with. I feel that how he played, and looked whilst playing (slick hair, plays with flair, etc) colors our perception of him. If you see what he does in the community and listen to his interviews you'll see he is an extremely conscientious person, but we mostly just see what he does on the field. I think most of us fell for that trap, me included - it's the old don't judge a book by its cover adage.
Spoke really well on radio regarding heading back to SA vs self isolation

I get the same impression.

He comes across as an introvert when you hear him interviewed and hear players talk about him. But his appearance and the flashy, confident and passionate way he plays comes across as an extrovert.

I get the same impression.

He comes across as an introvert when you hear him interviewed and hear players talk about him. But his appearance and the flashy, confident and passionate way he plays comes across as an extrovert.
I can relate. I'm definitely an introvert, but when it came to playing competitive sport I was far from. Probably more Sicily like with my on field behaviour. Very chatty, bit arrogant at times (definitely with less claim to be than Sicily lol), and craving the spotlight. I'd dread doing a presentation at work/school. But I'd want to be the guy taking the shot to win the Grand Final. No idea what it was about it all but it certainly helped me play my best. It wasn't a case of playing up to it but more a case of not shying away from it. Something I would have to do for "friendly" games if I didn't want to burn bridges and be accused of taking things too seriously haha.

I can't remember if Chad was the worst trade ever or O'Meara :D

What a great club Port must be to let go of two champions like Shaun and Chad.
Three, if you include the guy who would have won our BnF if not for injury, Jarman.

Three, if you include the guy who would have won our BnF if not for injury, Jarman.

Port traded Impey for compassionate reasons, and credit to them for going through with it.

Burgoyne was cooked according to most experts. Clarko himself said that at the time of the trade they considered that if we got three years out of him it would have been a success.

You can excuse them for those trades, but letting Wingard go was madness - even if they had questions over his motivations, etc.

Port traded Impey for compassionate reasons, and credit to them for going through with it.

Burgoyne was cooked according to most experts. Clarko himself said that at the time of the trade they considered that if we got three years out of him it would have been a success.

You can excuse them for those trades, but letting Wingard go was madness - even if they had questions over his motivations, etc.

Not certain it's madness, and I feel that if Chad stayed at Port he wouldn't have had that shock he needed to get back to his best form. In all likelihood, it was the best thing for both players involved and Port got reasonable enough assets out of it.

Pretty sure there was a story of him being entitled to a car when Port had an association with Renault. He wandered down to the used car section and the salesman was like "Na mate, come and grab a new one!"
I think Wingard has a reputation as being down to earth and respectful, certainly all the port posters on here were consistent with their messaging that he was a good guy who'd lost a little bit of drive and needed a change of scenery. None of them harboured any ill will toward him.

Yeah, we're so ridiculously far ahead with the Burgoyne trade that Wingard could have never played a game for us and we'd still be ahead on aggregate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back