News Coronavirus Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a bill worth $10 trillion being pushed through over there at the moment similar to the one that bailed out the banks in 08. The oligarchy in the US is just going to get stronger. They’ll be similar to places like Brazil soon.

The US is run by gangsters thieves and frauds. Has been for years if not forever.

1) How did you determine that these are "Australia's eminent scientific experts"?
2) Have you seen some of the people that are "convened by our best universities"?
3) Where does this group sit with regard to the AHPPC?
It doesn't matter what you or I think, the Group of Eight universities - our highest ranked and best universities - determined which of its experts should work on the advisory panel to address Covid-19.

Are you trying to suggest that 1/ the Group of Eight universities don't know who its own experts are? and 2/ that the Group of Eight universities' experts aren't the equal most qualified of any to provide expert advice to government in this matter? Is that why you've called them Gandolf's Council?

You actually think that you personally have more expertise than the Group of Eight advisory group don't you? You are delusional but entertaining - I'll give you that.

In Shanghai, have been locked down since about 20 January. Schools are still closed, most people still working from home, if they have any work at all. We register our location on an app and have to show that app if we want to go into a restaurant or bar. The app shows a green symbol if we are ok. If there is a case in our building then all the apps turn yellow and we are effectively locked out of public gatherings. If we leave the city and don't tell anyone it will ping and turn yellow. It will go red if we are assessed as being infected or at high risk. We have our temperature checked at every shopping mall or restaurant in addition to having our app scanned. We need a pass to enter our apartment complex and everyone wears a mask.
Only cases now are all imported cases. That's not a bad result in a city of 25 Million. Our population is much bigger than New York but we have a reasonably effective administration providing very cheap healthcare and people all buy into the policy. There has been no panic buying and toilet paper is readily available. It's kind of amazing to witness. Cinemas will be opening this weekend.
I dread the impact on the US in particular where healthcare is expensive, who is going to go to the hospital if they think there is a chance it will cost them 10K?

In Shanghai, have been locked down since about 20 January. Schools are still closed, most people still working from home, if they have any work at all. We register our location on an app and have to show that app if we want to go into a restaurant or bar. The app shows a green symbol if we are ok. If there is a case in our building then all the apps turn yellow and we are effectively locked out of public gatherings. If we leave the city and don't tell anyone it will ping and turn yellow. It will go red if we are assessed as being infected or at high risk. We have our temperature checked at every shopping mall or restaurant in addition to having our app scanned. We need a pass to enter our apartment complex and everyone wears a mask.
Only cases now are all imported cases. That's not a bad result in a city of 25 Million. Our population is much bigger than New York but we have a reasonably effective administration providing very cheap healthcare and people all buy into the policy. There has been no panic buying and toilet paper is readily available. It's kind of amazing to witness. Cinemas will be opening this weekend.
I dread the impact on the US in particular where healthcare is expensive, who is going to go to the hospital if they think there is a chance it will cost them 10K?

Will you be able to delete that app when this is all over?

Wasn't really sure where to post this. But I heard on the radio this morning that lists may have to be reduced to 35 next year due to money restrictions from COVID-19. Not sure how true it is but would be interesting to get people's views on who might go from our club. Mods, feel free to move this if you feel it belongs elsewhere.

We are doing a lot right, but quarantine enforcement is our biggest current problem. State leaders are going to have to bite the bullet with a full lockdown backed by (the federals) reservists and police.
I am not sure Victoria needs full lockdown. We need full enforcement of quarantine and self-isolation of individuals who have been identified as infected or as being at risk of infection. There is a fair gap between asking people nicely to self-isolate and mandatory full lockdown of the whole population.

I am not sure Victoria needs full lockdown. We need full enforcement of quarantine and self-isolation of individuals who have been identified as infected or as being at risk of infection. There is a fair gap between asking people nicely to self-isolate and mandatory full lockdown of the whole population.

The issue with this, is people as a group can’t be trusted not to do stupid s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't really sure where to post this. But I heard on the radio this morning that lists may have to be reduced to 35 next year due to money restrictions from COVID-19. Not sure how true it is but would be interesting to get people's views on who might go from our club. Mods, feel free to move this if you feel it belongs elsewhere.

I think that would be a mistake. Would much prefer a reduction across the top end of lists. You're talking 10 players at say $800k vs 1-2 players at the same cost. I'd imagine the AFL reducing cap minimums would take care of a lot of this cost cutting...

Previous research, including by Klein, has revealed that men have lower innate antiviral immune responses to a range of infections including hepatitis C and HIV. Studies in mice suggest that this may also be true for coronaviruses, though Covid-19 specifically has not been studied.

“Their immune system may not initiate an appropriate response when it initially sees the virus,” Klein said.

That is actually pretty close.

"Ultimately, Hawkes said, biology, lifestyle and behaviour are all likely to play a role.
No, not that close.

I think that would be a mistake. Would much prefer a reduction across the top end of lists. You're talking 10 players at say $800k vs 1-2 players at the same cost. I'd imagine the AFL reducing cap minimums would take care of a lot of this cost cutting...
The AFL made a surplus of $26 million in 2018 and $28 million in 2019 with no effort at all to cut costs while investing heavily in NSW, Qld, and women's football. The AFL has the potential to borrow literally hundreds of millions of dollars to stabilise the competition without hacking into the core product.

Agree. People are bitching about a national lockdown, but each state has the freedom to pursue a full lockdown based on their needs, hopefully with federal backing via troops and police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back