Mega Thread >>COVID-19 DISCUSSION THREAD<<

How many people are on cruises at one time in the world

Seems like half of Australia was on a cruise

I wonder if this could really impact the cruise ship business. Saw quite a few people on Twitter today calling them floating petri dishes etc and I doubt they were the only ones with that mentality

Probably irrational concern really, but the idea of being contained on a floating vessel with even the slightest chance of catching something might make many think twice in the future.

I wonder if this could really impact the cruise ship business. Saw quite a few people on Twitter today calling them floating petri dishes etc and I doubt they were the only ones with that mentality

Probably irrational concern really, but the idea of being contained on a floating vessel with even the slightest chance of catching something might make many think twice in the future.

it will be interesting how quickly people move on with things when this s**t ends

people ive met lately making comment about all the hand washing...ummm what did you do before?

people will jump on cruises again is my guess

it puts me off, but i was never that keen, i wont hesitate to go the footy though

Probably not... Australians would still be at clubs and/or pubs if the govt hadn't closed them down...

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
The Govt never tells us everything, apart from anything else they simply don't have the time... they'd need 3-4 someones talking 24/7 to tell us everything they do, and who the hell would be interested
Yes the information is available, and if you want it you can get it... why should they spoon feed you?

The reason I mistakenly jumped to the conspiracy theory idea was that you appeared to believe that it had been hidden from us...

Sorry... hope you weren't offended!

Lol! I don't believe in aliens, but some relation to lizards... strong possibility!

Information is knowledge and knowledge empowers. I want to know my collective and personal predicament because that drives my actions the steps I take to:

- boost immune
- determine risk categories and rates
- resolve who goes out when where and why

I know for instance that there are app 60 cases on CC and that comparatively that is low risk geographic on the infection map. I gain some comfort that I’d have to be exceedingly unlucky to be infected shopping because of that.

An example of failure is that I’ve been monitoring aggregate recoveries so I can based on infection numbers and existing cases determine for myself whether the ICUs will be overloaded.
Unfortunately I’ve found out that the recoveries are incorrect because Nsw fails to report its recoveries. That is done because they don’t know how to define if and when a recovery occurs. So lack of information disabled my capacity to have knowledge.

Another positive example of knowledge empowering is I became aware that 3D printers are being used to rapidly construct a critical component of the ventilators. Because of that knowledge and my business association with a major Australian 3D printer I rang him and suggested he needs to contact Nsw health to see if he can help. Empowerment by knowledge.

Make no mistake this crisis is and will have major mental health impact including suicides through paranoia driven by fear. That would be less likely if it was well known that the real death rate for under 65 is instead 1 in 462

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Probably not... Australians would still be at clubs and/or pubs if the govt hadn't closed them down...

I think that's because there's no known cases of transmission at clubs, pubs, beaches etc. (even though I'd almost certainly say there have been around the world.) Whereas there have been definitive cases of people getting it on cruise ships, and then spreading it to other passengers. This will all be a distant memory in the future, but I wouldn't be shocked if there's still that lingering memory of people being contained on a floating vessel that is infected.

That just doesn't seem appealing.

I was already not a fan of them as I'm quite claustrophobic but now? Zero chance I'll ever get on one.

pinched from elsewhere

Data says:
  • must quarantine all OS arrivals whether by sea or air;
  • keep pressure on the general community to maintain high hygiene standards and keep self-isolating to keep the community rate low;
  • Number of serious/critical cases is very low and thus no pressure on ICU. The whole premise of the restrictions that have been put in place was to “flatten the curve” so the health system does not get overwhelmed. If we continue to have ~ 1% of ICU beds in use for COVID-19 then, at some point in the next 2-3-4 weeks the national cabinet is going to have to think about bring society back to normal whilst strictly quarantining new OS arrivals and ring fencing the elderly.

Jul 9, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Reagan was elected as a 70 year old. By the time he left office he was the same age that Biden will be when he enters it. Reagan's cognitive functions were also diminishing during his second term. So not sure he is the best point of reference for Biden.

I agree though that Biden lacks conviction, which is why I could easily see him being easily led by his cabinet. Which is fine if you are an Eisenhower with a sound and stable cabinet around you, but quite literally deadly if you are a Bush with the likes of Cheney & Rumsfeld around you.

yeah my bad... I’m nowhere near 80 but my brain is already letting me down with simple math which is something I was once good at 🤪

pinched from elsewhere

Data says:
  • must quarantine all OS arrivals whether by sea or air;
  • keep pressure on the general community to maintain high hygiene standards and keep self-isolating to keep the community rate low;
  • Number of serious/critical cases is very low and thus no pressure on ICU. The whole premise of the restrictions that have been put in place was to “flatten the curve” so the health system does not get overwhelmed. If we continue to have ~ 1% of ICU beds in use for COVID-19 then, at some point in the next 2-3-4 weeks the national cabinet is going to have to think about bring society back to normal whilst strictly quarantining new OS arrivals and ring fencing the elderly.

Pretty much this, though on the last sentence, we'd wanna be very careful, because those measures like hygiene standards, self-isolating and social distancing are only met if people are vigilant. "Bringing society back to normal" could lure people into dropping those standards.

Pretty much this, though on the last sentence, we'd wanna be very careful, because those measures like hygiene standards, self-isolating and social distancing are only met if people are vigilant. "Bringing society back to normal" could lure people into dropping those standards.

normal is a bit much yeah like dont open the afl back

maybe more you might ease off shop restrictions at coffee shops etc

then reapply if needed

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
It’s gonna be interesting to see how Joe Biden will do getting the US economy back on track. He was part of an administration that brought America out of a recession, but he’s a bit past it IMO and this is a disaster on a far bigger scale.

I feel sorry for Biden actually, it almost seems cruel to put him through a presidential campaign assuming he is the nominee. He's shown significant cognitive decline since he was VP, IMO. Trump's response to the crisis has been patchy, I think he tried to strike an optimistic tone early as he didn't want the economy to tank, but it looks like that approach backfired. Biden will need a really strong running mate to have a chance, I don't know who that is though.

I feel sorry for Biden actually, it almost seems cruel to put him through a presidential campaign assuming he is the nominee. He's shown significant cognitive decline since he was VP, IMO. Trump's response to the crisis has been patchy, I think he tried to strike an optimistic tone early as he didn't want the economy to tank, but it looks like that approach backfired. Biden will need a really strong running mate to have a chance, I don't know who that is though.

To have a chance? I'd be shocked if Biden didn't win, and comfortably at that.

I think Trump has an enormous amount going against him.

Putin's involvement in this election may be minimised on the fact that he doesn't have a personal vendetta against Biden like he did Hillary Clinton, and will also not be able to get away with quite the same antics this time around. Russian involvement was a massive factor in the 2016 election.

There is Biden's strong appeal among blue collar workers and potential to own the 'rust belt' states like Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa (if not own, then certainly avoid the upsets Clinton had in those states.) Trump himself has just managed to make a bad name for himself by starting a beef with the Governor of Michigan over lack of action there. This just a week or so after Biden had a massive victory in that same state.

There is Biden's enormous support among minorities. It was the black vote that turned the tide of the primary completely and put Biden where he is now, despite Sanders' platform arguably offering more for them. Biden performed poorly with the Latino vote compared to Sanders, but do you really think they are going to vote for Trump, particularly after his administration's immigration policies?

Biden will also have a female running mate. He either opts for Warren, and rallies a large portion of the hardcore progressive vote, or he opts for a moderate woman, who is still woman enough to earn a large portion of the less-hardcore progressive vote who will still see it as diversity, rather than identity politics.

Biden will win many over on his story alone - the long-standing public servant who lost a wife and two children in tragic circumstances but kept soldiering on. Hillary's story of marrying the creepy guy then standing by his side naming and shaming women he was involved with while working her way up the chain in D.C. and making enemies domestically and abroad doesn't quite have the same charm.

There will be a decent portion of the Trump base, aka more moderate Republicans, who simply won't want another four years of Trump. The mid-terms in 2018, in which the Democrats took back the house and several red states turned blue, seemed to be a direct response to Trump's presidency.

Biden has also not been President during a botched handling of a pandemic that is going to have catastrophic ramifications on his country. Trump has been. He didn't ask for COVID-19, but Hoover didn't ask for the crash of 29 either and look how his attempt at re-election turned out (spoiler: FDR took him to the cleaners.)

If all of that was not enough to give Biden a very serious edge, the two most obvious advantages he has could single-handedly inflict more damage on Trump than all of the above combined:

1. He has accomplished all of this so far and has not even been publicly endorsed yet by two guys you might've heard of: Barack Obama and Bernie Sanders. They're the talismanic faces of the moderate and progressive Democrats who will unite in support of Biden. As Biden sweeps into October/November with those two rallying voters for him, it will be reminiscent of Daenerys Targaryen finally sailing to Westeros with her fleet of ships, her army, and her three dragons (hopefully the script from there-on is better written, which let's face it, won't be hard.)

2. Hillary Clinton is a woman. Trump is a white, straight male. Biden is a white, straight male. It's fair-game.

(This is relatively off-topic though as we are now veering away from COVID-19 and into political territory so mods, feel free to do with this as you please.)

I was honestly hoping they'd disappear until the season started back up again
Nah mate. They need to keep telling us that 16 minute quarters are so ******* good all year long so when the AFL implements it to have longer ad breaks we think it's what we want

I was honestly hoping they'd disappear until the season started back up again

i kind of dont mind some footy content to consume, even windbags like barrett

the saturday rub was good

Back