Movie Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not what I said at all. Maybe concerning this film, but not his filmography in general. A fair accusation though, and I do wonder about his ability to generate new insight beyond the occasional brilliant pastiche, especially of late.
sorry to misquote you.

Despite TheGreatBarryB 's counter, i fullly stand by my judgement that tarantino's films are shallow. the GUTS of his stories are just show, window-dressing, fast-food-like. They're meant to shock and awe you, like a cheap momentary thrill as you see in horror movies with the typical jump-scare type stuff. Whereas there are horror movies that grip you inside, settle beneath the surface of your consciousness for years. Tarantino's movies do not have any great impact on you, they might be memorable in cinema, but theyre just meant to entertain you for the 2-3 hrs youre there.

sorry to misquote you.

Despite TheGreatBarryB 's counter, i fullly stand by my judgement that tarantino's films are shallow. the GUTS of his stories are just show, window-dressing, fast-food-like. They're meant to shock and awe you, like a cheap momentary thrill as you see in horror movies with the typical jump-scare type stuff. Whereas there are horror movies that grip you inside, settle beneath the surface of your consciousness for years. Tarantino's movies do not have any great impact on you, they might be memorable in cinema, but theyre just meant to entertain you for the 2-3 hrs youre there.

The original Japanese versions of The Ring and Dark Water fit that bill. Especially the latter!

Finally got around to this one last night....slept on it & still don't know where I sit. The ending was ******* fantastic & Margaret Qualley, holy dooley, (didn't know she is Andie MacDowell's daughter, no wonder she's always looked a bit familiar) but the rest of it? Yeah, dunno, certainly don't hate it by any means, going to have to watch it again, it certainly felt a bit too long. Jackie Brown for example I liked to begin with but that translated to love after multiple viewings. I'm not sure I can see that happening with OUATIH but you never know.

I heard it described as a 1960's movie made in 2019 just with better production values & that's about right & probably why many are having problems with it.

Last edited:
Finally got around to this one last night....slept on it & still don't know where I sit. The ending was ******* fantastic & Margaret Qualley, holy dooley, (didn't know she is Andie MacDowell's daughter, no wonder she's always looked a bit familiar) but the rest of it? Yeah, dunno, certainly don't hate it by any means, going to have to watch it again, it certainly felt a bit too long. Jackie Brown for example I liked to begin with but that translated to love after multiple viewings. I'm not sure I can see that happening with OUATIH but you never know.

I heard it described as a 1960's movie made in 2019 just with better production values & that's about right & probably why many are having problems with it.

Same here.

I suppose the issue was how it was marketed in production as the story of the Manson Murders and well it wasn’t really about that; so that’s why I suppose it was a bit of a let down

Now the movies title makes sense

In the two years between announcing the script and the release, I didn't get the impression this was a story about the Manson family.

QT consistently said that it was an ode to 60s Hollywood, focusing on an actor that just so happened to live next door to Sharon Tate. That detail was a cherry on the sundae.

EDIT: reading back through the thread, seems I wasn't alone:
So I am confused

Mainstream media saying it’s about Manson Murders but the Trailer looks like a 60’s nostalgia trip

Trailer looks awesome fwiw
Well of course the mainstream media is highlighting the Manson Murders aspect (selling point).
I daresay it'll be as much about the Manson murders as Inglourious Basterds is about Adolf Hitler.

Finally saw it. F--king loved it! Still not sure about LdC, but he was good in this. But Brad Pitt is a brilliant actor. Totally nailed his character.

I would have liked to have seen more of Dakota Fanning; her character, Squeaky Fromme, attempted to assassinate President Ford in 1975. She served 34 years for that.

What was the point of the Bruce Lee scene? Old Hollywood vs new Hollywood or something like that? I thought Tarantino liked Bruce Lee. Or am I reading too much into it?

And was there a reason why Manson wasn’t in it more? I kept waiting for him to pop up at the end, but then he didn’t. For a second I thought Emile Hirsch was Manson at the end there, but nah.

What was the point of the Bruce Lee scene? Old Hollywood vs new Hollywood or something like that? I thought Tarantino liked Bruce Lee. Or am I reading too much into it?

And was there a reason why Manson wasn’t in it more? I kept waiting for him to pop up at the end, but then he didn’t. For a second I thought Emile Hirsch was Manson at the end there, but nah.

To show that Cliff Booth is a badass that has the ability to beat up Bruce Lee.

Some ended up on the cutting room floor apparently. I suppose he wasn’t there when the murders happened so makes sense he’d be scarce but was quite surprised it was limited to such a small part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some ended up on the cutting room floor apparently. I suppose he wasn’t there when the murders happened so makes sense he’d be scarce but was quite surprised it was limited to such a small part.
My take on it was different.

I think QT deliberately left Manson out of it to avoid glorifying him.

Instead, he focused on "his" (QT's) people - Hollywood.

The ending was very much a cathartic exercise, with Hollywood defending its turf against the outsiders trying to destroy their way of life.

My take on it was different.

I think QT deliberately left Manson out of it to avoid glorifying him.

Instead, he focused on "his" (QT's) people - Hollywood.

The ending was very much a cathartic exercise, with Hollywood defending its turf against the outsiders trying to destroy their way of life.

100%. Well put mate.

tbh I didn't feel like it was about putting Bruce Lee down. he got into a fight and got slammed into a car but was still up for the fight. I didn't think it would get a super negative reaction from the chinese.

the bruce lee scene is in booth's mind. It clearly shows him thinking back to it while he's on the roof. the point is to show he's an unreliable narrator (the car dent is ridiculous, he likely didn't even beat Lee in the fight - if there even was one). I think the point is that it insinuates that he likely did kill his wife and that creates a dissonance with the viewer because he comes across as a very likable character but actually he's a total s**t bag.

Tarantino did like Bruce Lee.

Tarantino has said before if it isn't explained to you in the movie, the answer isn't meant to be told. Meaning it's up to you. It was talked about on a pod he was on. If you think he killed the wife, it's one movie. If you think he didn't - it's a different movie.

Late to the party and conflicted. Tarantino is a genius and whenever he’s making a new movie our whole family counts the days.
This is different, its seems...empty and without substance to me. I loved that he turned the tables in the end and Sharon and her household lived and the Manson family died extremely violent deaths, the aerial shot of her walking into the house laughing and chatting with her friends was a bit gutwrenching...what went on in that house defies description.
Besides the ‘happy ending’ I dunno how I feel but the word that comes to mind is flat.

The problem isn't really in it being slow or needing to be pieced together. It just feels a bit of a flat nostalgia-fest, and reveals a lack of substance in Tarantino himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back