News Impact of COVID-19 on season 2020 and beyond

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Our health minister said on the radio this arvo. We cant stop it. We are just slowing it down so we can get more ventilators & emergency beds..
But what if we did stop it..
It would not be an impossibility with all the border checks & travel bans & minimal cases so far. Our isolation could work out for us..
We could swap our yearly indo holiday for broome..
Would need to.build an indoor ski park as japan is out.
Comondere the 2 cruise ships at freo to do the cocos island run.

Instate the wafl as the nations & worlds premier football code.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Our health minister said on the radio this arvo. We cant stop it. We are just slowing it down so we can get more ventilators & emergency beds..
But what if we did stop it..
It would not be an impossibility with all the border checks & travel bans & minimal cases so far. Our isolation could work out for us..
We could swap our yearly indo holiday for broome..
Would need to.build an indoor ski park as japan is out.
Comondere the 2 cruise ships at freo to do the cocos island run.

Instate the wafl as the nations & worlds premier football code.

Obectively define "stopping it"? Both in terms of:
(1) numbers of new cases OR numbers of known infected OR number of suspected cases? If it is the first, what level of security is retained (or not) on those confirmed cases?
(2) Duration of how long you have (1)
(3) Geographical area - are you referring to Western Australia or Australia?

It is is important to recall that there are travel bans but travel is still occurring; what was it - around 5000 people nationally are still entering and exiting the country via plane per day? Yes they are all (hopefully) in strict quarantine, but you only need a small number to break the rules or have a misdiagnosis or pass it onto a ADF person guarding their hotel or whatever and docie doe.... And as I think has been said before, those travelling have now a heightened probability that they have the virus.

As such, I think it is clearly more reasonable to talk about slowing and reducing to a number that can be managed by hospitals in the case of a new outbreak. Think of it like an insurance model.

In conjunction we may think (probably hope is a more apt word for many things we had before) that some measures may potentially be relaxed, but you then start to have the politics of splitting direction (Eg. Lets say within Australia say WA doing allowing it's individuals to do something different from individuals in NSW, and all the social ramifications that come with that) versus maintaining a united, consistent front (which again to look at it at an Australian contextual level, has contributed a lot to WA getting to this relatively okay position).

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Obectively define "stopping it"? Both in terms of:
(1) numbers of new cases OR numbers of known infected OR number of suspected cases? If it is the first, what level of security is retained (or not) on those confirmed cases?
(2) Duration of how long you have (1)
(3) Geographical area - are you referring to Western Australia or Australia?

It is is important to recall that there are travel bans but travel is still occurring; what was it - around 5000 people nationally are still entering and exiting the country via plane per day? Yes they are all (hopefully) in strict quarantine, but you only need a small number to break the rules or have a misdiagnosis or pass it onto a ADF person guarding their hotel or whatever and docie doe.... And as I think has been said before, those travelling have now a heightened probability that they have the virus.

As such, I think it is clearly more reasonable to talk about slowing and reducing to a number that can be managed by hospitals in the case of a new outbreak. Think of it like an insurance model.

In conjunction we may think (probably hope is a more apt word for many things we had before) that some measures may potentially be relaxed, but you then start to have the politics of splitting direction (Eg. Lets say within Australia say WA doing allowing it's individuals to do something different from individuals in NSW, and all the social ramifications that come with that) versus maintaining a united, consistent front (which again to look at it at an Australian contextual level, has contributed a lot to WA getting to this relatively okay position).
Sorry, I was referring to West Australia.
Stopping it would be removing the disease from Western Australia which is very unlikely but throwing it out there.

What if WA started releasing activity in controlled areas ??
Say areas with the youngest age groups ??? Limiting exposure to vulnerable age groups.
Doing so in a manner that slowly releases the virus but does not cripple the medical system?? End game being herd immunity..

If we locked everyone down and tested someone in every household then we could lock down the households that test positive and go back to our regular lives, couldn't we?

Then the AFL players over east could move over to WA, do their isolation time, then pad out the lists of the WAFL. 18 teams compressed down into just the WAFL sides would be an elite standard given just the players who couldn't get a game.

Get FMG, BHP etc to sponsor it and have the premier sport in the world broadcast from around Perth. Show off the city to the world.

Inveigh Slang

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we locked everyone down and tested someone in every household then we could lock down the households that test positive and go back to our regular lives, couldn't we?

Then the AFL players over east could move over to WA, do their isolation time, then pad out the lists of the WAFL. 18 teams compressed down into just the WAFL sides would be an elite standard given just the players who couldn't get a game.

Get FMG, BHP etc to sponsor it and have the premier sport in the world broadcast from around Perth. Show off the city to the world.

The AFL wouldn't let it. Gil and Eddie would block it.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

From what is being said today our lack of exposure means that we may need to be in 'lock down' longer than other states as other states:

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
From what is being said today our lack of exposure means that we may need to be in 'lock down' longer than other states as other states:

yep, I think I've said this 4 different ways now on this site and copped a bit of flack for it to from some that haven't learnt much science. We're not really flattening the curve in WA but avoiding it. It's great in that that hardly any one is dying. But, we're going to have to lock down the borders long term until (if) a vaccine is produced or eventually it fizzles out in every other country (don't hold your breath). Nor more trips to Bali, Europe, US, etc. unless you quarantine for 2 weeks after returning. I don't really have the extra time off for that. Plus, the airport (and transport home) would need to be run like a quarantine centre to prevent staff from getting it while you jet on in. Hopefully things can get back to some semblance of normal here in WA as the numbers drop off and people recover, but there will have to be a metaphorical wall around the state to prevent it starting back up again. Going to be interesting times.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
yep, I think I've said this 4 different ways now on this site and copped a bit of flack for it to from some that haven't learnt much science. We're not really flattening the curve in WA but avoiding it. It's great in that that hardly any one is dying. But, we're going to have to lock down the borders long term until (if) a vaccine is produced or eventually it fizzles out in every other country (don't hold your breath). Nor more trips to Bali, Europe, US, etc. unless you quarantine for 2 weeks after returning. I don't really have the extra time off for that. Plus, the airport (and transport home) would need to be run like a quarantine centre to prevent staff from getting it while you jet on in. Hopefully things can get back to some semblance of normal here in WA as the numbers drop off and people recover, but there will have to be a metaphorical wall around the state to prevent it starting back up again. Going to be interesting times.
Agree 100%. It’s great infections are controlled, but that’s just false optimism. People are thinking that’s great, it must be okay, but really it’s a confusing time. The curve has barely even been influenced nor tested. Everyone’s waiting for the sharp increase. Hasn’t come yet.
Hence why I said, WA are in the prime position to isolate itself off from the distance eastern states as well as internationally.
It’s whether the State Premier is prepared to accept short term pain in order to avoid the economic excuse. 3-7 month lock down could play a major role, only if the state enforced it.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
How hard is it to move Artania from Fremantle ..
Go on board now. Get any at risk off. Send the thing to Christmas island.
Check crew again. Get any new at risk off..Sail away to Germany..

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
How hard is it to move Artania from Fremantle ..
Go on board now. Get any at risk off. Send the thing to Christmas island.
Check crew again. Get any new at risk off..Sail away to Germany..
or, get everyone off, sterilise it, and hope Germany forgets about it with everything else going on. Once WA is cv19 clear, we can use it for work do's, kid's parties and Y12 leavers. Beats that floating cube in the Swan Rv.

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s whether the State Premier is prepared to accept short term pain in order to avoid the economic excuse. 3-7 month lock down could play a major role, only if the state enforced it.

Ruining the economy is what Labor does best, I'm sure he'll be fine with it, that is if he isn't too busy stopping people going fishing or to an isolated beach.

westy1

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2006
denmark
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
east freo

I've already started a thread on this, Its called the Percy Johnston cup

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
It's hard with so much "information" out there but I am getting serious vibes that we aren't going to see another game this year.

At this stage I'm just hoping we get an intact 2021 season. I mentally wrote off 2020 weeks ago. Shame. I finally drafted a decent fantasy team this year

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
or, get everyone off, sterilise it, and hope Germany forgets about it with everything else going on. Once WA is cv19 clear, we can use it for work do's, kid's parties and Y12 leavers. Beats that floating cube in the Swan Rv.
Looks like most of the crew are indos & Philippines which makes sense why they were dumped here..
Poor buggers are the bottom of the food chain in world economics ..
If we look.after their crew we should get
their boat by default..

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well the thing is we don't really know that having it once is going to give you immunity from getting it again. There are some reports of individuals having had it, recovered and then had it again. Either way, it's still unclear as to the immunity having it provides.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Well the thing is we don't really know that having it once is going to give you immunity from getting it again. There are some reports of individuals having had it, recovered and then had it again. Either way, it's still unclear as to the immunity having it provides.
There were reports of 2 people. Might have been a dodgy negative test the first time. Maybe their immune system is kak.

Iceland have done broader testing than anyone & initial numbers are that half of the carriers they found are asystamatic.
Rough figures globally now are roughly 1,000,000 tested positive. 50,000 deaths.
If iceland is correct with their initial study it would suggest .25% mortality.
That would be pretty good numbers compared to the WHO worst case scenario.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
There were reports of 2 people. Might have been a dodgy negative test the first time. Maybe their immune system is kak.

Iceland have done broader testing than anyone & initial numbers are that half of the carriers they found are asystamatic.
Rough figures globally now are roughly 1,000,000 tested positive. 50,000 deaths.
If iceland is correct with their initial study it would suggest .25% mortality.
That would be pretty good numbers compared to the WHO worst case scenario.

if the true figures are .25% this begins to think about why we had to totally trash the economy.

Purplrrr

All Australian
Jun 15, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Because demographically, the death rate changes? It's catastrophic for some people and it's destroying health care systems. Doctors are dying trying to help people. And the more we overload the system with people, the worse the outcomes for younger people too (apparently the young, important, people). I started watching the video of the Spanish dr talking about how they were having to just sedate anyone over 65 and let them die, so they could help younger people. I found it too upsetting and refused to watch anymore, (so could be more info I'm missing) but I really don't want that kind of triage system to happen here. 🤞

Back