Analysis Herald Sun ranks the top 20 Collingwood players of the modern era

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University

Collingwood’s top 20 modern era players: Nathan Buckley just edges Scott Pendlebury
They were key figures in Collingwood’s forward line who share the same surname. Did Anthony or Saverio Rocca rank higher when Glenn McFarlane named his top-20 Pies of the modern era?

Bucks or Pendles? Daics, Swanny, Rowdy or Shawry?
The top six in Collingwood’s top 20 of the modern era – dating back to 1987 when the competition went national – almost pick themselves, although the order is subjective.

Nathan Buckley (six) and Scott Pendlebury (five) own 11 Copeland Trophies between them.

The impact both have had on their club has been extraordinary – their durability and elite consistency setting them apart from many of their contemporaries.

Buckley has a slight edge with his ability to impact on games, though Pendlebury is closing fast.

Peter Daicos and Tony Shaw could have featured higher, but for the fact both achieved some of their accolades before the eligibility criteria.

Gavin Brown was revered, Darren Millane flashed like a comet, and Mick McGuane was a star in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s.

Steele Sidebottom and Brodie Grundy still have time to elevate themselves further.

This top 20 was based on class, brilliance, leadership, inspiration, durability as well as team and individual success.

Some considered unlucky include Paul Williams, Graham Wright, Chris Tarrant, Scott Russell, Tony Francis, Leon Davis, Damian Monkhorst, Dale Thomas, Tarkyn Lockyer, Shane O’Bree, Simon Prestigiacomo and Ben Johnson.

# ELIGIBILITY FOR THE TOP 20 SELECTION – stars must have played the bulk of their footy in the national competition era, which started in 1987

1. NATHAN BUCKLEY
No lesser judge than Bob Rose believed Buckley to be the greatest Collingwood player of the modern era. Buckley pushed himself – and his teammates – hard in the quest for high standards. He could bust a game apart, his long-kicking was an art form and his durability made him one of the most consistently elite footballers of his era. An absolute champion.

Key stat: 6 and 7 – No man has won more Copeland Trophies (six) and no Collingwood player has been selected in as many All-Australian teams (seven).

2. SCOTT PENDLEBURY
Pendles has made considerable ground in recent seasons and sits one behind his coach in terms of Copeland Trophies and All-Australian selections. Pendlebury’s dominance is done almost by stealth and his consistently high level of performance rates him one of the all-time greats. Few have created the time and space he does.

Key stat: 194 – the number of Brownlow Medal votes he has won, more than any other Magpie.

3. PETER DAICOS
Daicos played some extraordinary football before 1987, but his evolution in the early years of the national competition added an extra dimension to his game. His balance, silky skills on the right and left side, penchant for freakish goals and ability to turn the difficult into the almost indecently easy were exquisite traits. An absolute delight to watch.

Key stat: 97 – the number of goals Daicos kicked as a small forward in the 1990 premiership year.

4. DANE SWAN
One of two Magpies to win a Brownlow this century, Swan was the most unlikely of modern superstars. He had a chunky body frame, a waddling gait and awkward kicking style, but his competitive spirit and understated pride in his own performance transformed him. Won three successive Copelands (2008-10).

Key stat: 820 – the number of possessions Swan had in 2010, the most any Magpie has had in a season.

5. GAVIN BROWN
When courage and class combine, you get Gavin Brown. An exceptionally versatile footballer, he attacked the ball as if his life depended on it, but mixed that with pure class. A highly-skilled wingman in his early years, he could also play as a key forward and back at times. Compulsive viewing.

Key stat: 4 – the number of times he was awarded the club’s most courageous player.

6. TONY SHAW
Shaw had to be in this list, even though he played a large slice of his career before 1987. The way he elevated his game and leadership after taking on the captaincy helped to change the club’s direction. In 1990 he played a massive role in the club’s drought-breaking premiership, winning the Norm Smith Medal, Copeland Trophy and King of Moomba honours. Tough, tenacious and unwilling to compromise.

Key stat: 313 – Still holds the record for the most games played by a Collingwood player, although Scott Pendlebury (302) will ultimately pass him.

7. DARREN MILLANE
His career is assessed through the ‘what might have been’ prism, given his death in a car accident at 26. But it shouldn’t be. Measured in its entirety – from 1984 to 1991 – he still rates as one of the best of the modern era. Millane was an inspirational, explosive wingman who always made his teammates walk taller.

Key stat: 42 – the only guernsey number that has been retired in Collingwood’s history

8. MICK MCGUANE
McGuane’s CV across 10 seasons at Collingwood included back-to-back Copeland Trophies, a key role in the 1990 flag, Goal of the Year honours in 1994, and recognition as one of the club’s favourite sons. He possessed undoubted footy smarts, a high-energy spark, toughness and a cheeky, larger-than-life nature.

Key stat: 7 – the number of bounces he took when he zigzagged his way to Goal of the Year in 1994.

9. STEELE SIDEBOTTOM
Sidebottom possesses exquisite talent, good decision-making skills and a regal command of the ball hand and foot on either side. He came within two votes of winning a Norm Smith Medal at 19, won back-to-back Copelands in 2017 and 2018, and was runner-up to Tom Mitchell in the 2018 Brownlow Medal.

Key stat: 24 – Polled 24 votes in the 2018 Brownlow, with seven best on grounds.

10. BRODIE GRUNDY
Only the best ruckmen change the way the game is played. Grundy – who turns 26 on April 15 – has done that. If he can continue on the same trajectory, he can elevate himself further. Has already won two Copelands (2018 and 2019). His Round 1 performance showcased his dominance as almost an extra midfielder.

Key stat: 73 – Brodie Grundy’s 73 hit-outs against GWS last year was the most any Magpie ruckman has ever had.

11. JAMES CLEMENT
Clement won successive best-and-fairests and was twice an All-Australian in 2004 and 2005. He was rarely beaten one-on-one and his ability to break free and rebound from his opponent gave fans comfort during his time at the club. He was only 31 when he retired, but left a lasting impact.

Key stat: 179 – No Collingwood player has had more rebounds in a year than Clement, with 179 in 2005.

12. PAUL LICURIA
‘Lica’ gets the nod here due to two Copeland Trophy wins (2001-02). Acknowledged for his work rate, impact and commitment, he worked tirelessly to become one of the club’s most admired players. His 40-disposal performance against Port Adelaide in the 2002 qualifying final lives forever in the memory.

Key stat: 7 – Licuria had 400 or more possessions in seven consecutives from 2000-07.

13. SCOTT BURNS
Stiff not to be higher as he was one of Collingwood’s most consistent, reliable players. He was runner-up in two Copeland Trophies and third in another. His relentless pressure and ability to stick a tackle, as well as his deep, penetrating kicking, made him a fan favourite in the midfield or defence.

Key stat: 6 – Burns played 264 games for the Magpies, making him sixth overall in the club’s history.

14. TRAVIS CLOKE
Close call between Cloke and the Rocca brothers. The former wins the nod because he won a Copeland Trophy in 2007 (at 20) and was an All-Australian twice. His contested mark prowess was his most important weapon. Had his issues in front of goals, but still kicked 441 goals for the Magpies in 246 games.

Key stat: 95 – No player has taken more contested marks (95) than Cloke did in 2011.

15. ANTHONY ROCCA
Was a heart-and-soul Magpie who was often the team’s barometer. Across 220 games, he kicked 404 goals with his power his greatest strength across 13 seasons. If it hadn’t been for a controversial goal umpiring decision in the 2002 Grand Final, Anthony Rocca might well have been a premiership player and a Norm Smith Medallist (he kicked four of the Pies’ nine goals).

Key stat: 4- Rocca’s four goals in the losing 2002 Grand Final was a performance of the highest order.

16. SAVERIO ROCCA
Sav Rocca was an underrated player who kicked 93 goals in a season (1995) and 10 or more goals in a game on five occasions. His 514 goals from 156 games at Collingwood deserve high praise – only four players have kicked more. Won the 1995 Copeland Trophy as a 21-year-old.

Key stat 11 – Rocca’s 11 goals against Fremantle in 1998 is the most any Magpie has kicked in the AFL era.

17. ALAN DIDAK
At stages of his 218-game, 274-goal career, Didak was compared to the almost incomparable Peter Daicos. A gifted forward who was almost as effective when in the midfield, he revelled getting the ball in his hands and rarely let anyone down in the clutch moments. Compulsive viewing. Another who could have been higher.

Key stat: 3 – The number of goals Didak kicked within a minute against West Coast in 2010.

18. GAVIN CROSISCA
Won the respect and admiration of his teammates – and fans – for his uncompromising approach. His two goals in the second quarter of the 1990 Grand Final set the scene. Could play in a variety of positions and gave his all for the Magpies.

Key stat: 3 – Won three ‘Wrecker’ awards, for the player with the most tackles/one-percenters over a season.

19. HEATH SHAW
When the irrepressible Shaw crept up on an unsuspecting Nick Riewoldt in the 2010 Grand Final replay, he showed how far he was prepared to go for his teammates. Yes, he carried that on with the Giants, but Shaw’s 173 games with Collingwood were jam-packed with energy, emotion and effort.

Key stat: 4 – Shaw has the top four tallies for bounces in a game for Collingwood (19, 17, 16 and 16).

20. NICK MAXWELL
By his own admission, Maxwell wasn’t a superstar. But without him, Collingwood almost certainly wouldn’t have won the 2010 premiership. An exceptional leader, disciplined defender and inspirational player. Produced two inspiring acts in the space of four minutes in the dramatic last quarter of the 2010 Grand Final draw.

Key stat: 5 – the number of seasons Maxwell captained Collingwood (from 2009 to 2013).

This is the ranking:

1. Nathan Buckley
2. Scott Pendlebury
3. Peter Daicos
4. Dane Swan
5. Gavin Brown
6. Tony Shaw
7. Darren Millane
8. Mick McGuane
9. Steele Sidebottom
10. Brodie Grundy

11. James Clement
12. Paul Licuria
13. Scott Burns
14. Travis Cloke
15. Anthony Rocca
16. Sav Rocca
17. Alan Didak
18. Gavin Crosisca
19. Heath Shaw
20. Nick Maxwell

Fun but very subjective for some picks. I wouldn't have Steele in front of Clement, and as much as I loved Maxwell I might not sneak him in (subjective).

Totally agree with the top 5 even I might rearrange 3-4-5.

Great distraction and fun thread. :)

Top 6 is a lock. Question mark on how high Steele is, would have him a bit lower. Personally wouldn’t have Licuria in the top 20. Graeme Wright should be in.

Hard to disagree with much. I'd have Didak higher at around the 10-12 mark and although Maxwell was a sensational captain, he's not in our top 20 players of the modern era. Leon Davis belongs in here instead.

Very good, I agree on both counts.

Seems pretty good, but surely Sav was better than Anthony?

Hmmm Sav was great, but not more important to us than Anthony. If Anthony played in the 2003 GF we might have an extra flag.

Fun but very subjective for some picks. I wouldn't have Steele in front of Clement, and as much as I loved Maxwell I might not sneak him in (subjective).

Totally agree with the top 5 even I might rearrange 3-4-5.

Great distraction and fun thread. :)
Maxwell is tricky. On talent he’s not top 20, but leadership one of our best.

Top 6 is a lock. Question mark on how high Steele is, would have him a bit lower. Personally wouldn’t have Licuria in the top 20. Graeme Wright should be in.

+ 1

Maxwell is tricky. On talent he’s not top 20, but leadership one of our best.

Can't argue on the leadership front, you're right. I'm basing my view only on his ability as a player. No disrespect intended to Maxwell, he is a Collingwood man and a premiership captain.

Can't argue on the leadership front, you're right. I'm basing my view only on his ability as a player. No disrespect intended to Maxwell, he is a Collingwood man and a premiership captain.
I agree. Take him out of the 2010 team though and we probably lose the GF. I reckon he deserves the top 20.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
* I loved Didak.. couldn't tackle for s**t though. But that left boot. Has there ever been a better player at Collingwood who could expose of the pill with a laser like cannon of a left boot like the number 4 re?

And that kidney elbow to Hayes in the last with 2 minutes to go in the gf.. classic cheeky ******* Didak mate.. loved it.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hard to disagree with much. I'd have Didak higher at around the 10-12 mark and although Maxwell was a sensational captain, he's not in our top 20 players of the modern era. Leon Davis belongs in here instead.
Good point.

Cant have Maxwell in top 20 since 1987.

Not sure he’s even top 40. But was a good on field leader.
Nice medium talent, got every drop out of himself.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Gee some of those "key stats" in that article are anything but. Very lazy pickings.

Alan Didak's three goals in a minute is apparently more key than his 41 goals in 2010, the team's most in a premiership year. There are some similarly boring stats in there among other players listed.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gee some of those "key stats" in that article are anything but. Very lazy pickings.

Alan Didak's three goals in a minute is apparently more key than his 41 goals in 2010, the team's most in a premiership year. There are some similarly boring stats in there among other players listed.
A journalist lazy?

perish the thought....

;)

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Graeme Wright...
Chris Tarrant...
Leon Davis...

Josh Fraser is another who is unlucky not to be the last name on that list. Was near lame by the end of his career but people forget how good his first 100-125 games were. Was a prototype mobile ruck well before Grundy took it to the next level.

Scotty Russell was another very good player.... along with Ben Johnson, Shane O’Bree... probably in the next 10 players on the list

Last edited:

davywap

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 10, 2010
on a chair
AFL Club
Collingwood
Neon mate.. not to make top 20? As both a backman and forward All-Australian. Has anyone ever accomplished that.

Licuria gave his all 2 Copeland medals I get that .. but seriously.. he was a hack of a footballer.
Whilst i would definitely not call Lica a hack I agree with your sentiment.

I'd have Didak higher too.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Somewhat inequitable to compare players that are midway through their careers but I get people are board...including journalists. You would expect Brodie to move up in the top 5.

Buckley undisputed at the top, to perform at that level in an underperforming team is no mean feat. I would like to see Burns furtherup the list, he was a champion. Licuria was a great servant but we must have more talent to show in our top 20.Top 5 a clear stand out, the rest are relatively even in their own ways.
Travis Cloke was another that probably deserves to be higher because he dominated the competition over a three year period (albeit in everything but goals).

I think Maxy deserves his spot because football is not just about stats.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood

Not sure on 5th and 6th positioning even if they are club champions and former captains. Top 20 but not 6 greatest ever.

Maxwell in top 20 pie all era players of all time yeah nah.

Too much weighting on captaincy by the looks.

Davis and Tarrant 2 very obvious ommisions that imo should be there.

Back