Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Status
Not open for further replies.
******* Woolies unashamedly going the gouge, $130+ shop this morning for stuff that rarely comes in much over $100, nice...

Supply and demand mate. Some things have gone up fractionally.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have you read what is going on in some of them?

No fresh air, no outside food (uber eats etc), microwave food given as meals, no ability to do anything but sit in a room.

Who cares if it is 7 stars if you are stuck eating s**t food with no ability to do anything?

They are Australian citizens, why shouldn't they be allowed back in?

Have you never slept in a good bed? You'd give up everything else in life to sleep in a 5-star hotel bed?

What kind of povo sheltered life have you lived? You have my pity.

You do realise you are whinging right now, yeah?
Microwaved food is better than no food, dickhead. Especially when it is only for a short time and they aren't paying for it. Such a shame they cant call Uber Eats either, what a massive sacrifice to make when thousands of others have lost their jobs and don't know when their next pay is coming. We should all feel so sorry for these victims locked up in hotel rooms!

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hope they kill the season off before it gets to October.

If its mid July and they still haven't come back just call it off.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know apparently we can't talk money. But they can't. They need Foxtel to get subscribers/ch 7 to not go bust and the extra revenue that clubs need to make the competition. If the comp isn't played for the year and + say $50 million is lost from TV rights + the loss from 2020 then GWS and Gold Coast are out along with the clubs already in trouble and who would otherwise be making a loss. At a guess I'd say St Kilda, North and Lions would be in trouble. And that has ripple effects for the rest of the comp. No big bucks means no $1 million Dusty type contracts and no $200 000 average wage.

Rookies etc will be bumped to $30K bye bye development coaches and it could quickly become semi pro. Or AFL ceases to exist and a new super league emerges.

Now Aussie Rules or an AFL like competition will never die as people will go in droves once it returns. But the AFL corporation and how it has been set up next 5+ years is built on an 18 team model. 2 teams leave with their revenue and it is goodnight.

1 team could go and become Tassie. As you would need a low maintenance, low spending club to generate instant results. Maybe NT or a 3rd Perth team but would a 3rd gain support? (Maybe if it went NT/Kimberly region).

To spite the s**t the Suns cop they were making in roads and developing. The team in the gun is GWS as to spite their relative success they really haven't made solid progress.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
In a city of 11 million, and with little self-isolation controls in place until Jan 22 (I was in Shanghai-Shaanxi-Suzhou in mid January) 40,000 deaths is definately within the realms of expectation.

That said, medical professionals still have no idea about the spread of this virus and whether its reach is far more prolific than what the case mortality rates indicate.

Were you in China continuously from 17.11.19?

What is your understanding of the specific self-isolation controls that actually existed in Wuhan prior to 22.1.20? How do you know this, & evidence?

Ditto, other parts of China prior to 22.1.20 where covid-19 was reasonably known to have had outbreaks?

2. So it begins.

"An initial wave of 3 class actions stemming from covid-19 were filed against the Chinese government this past week (from 24.3- my words). Each action claims the Chinese government is liable for injuries & damages in the US caused by the virus. Other suits no doubt will follow...
The three suits argue the Chinese government co-ordinated a cover-up of the coronavirus pandemic...

The complainants cite to a series of instances where the Chinese government officials:-

. failed to timely report the virus

. underreported the severity of the virus

. underreported the number of deaths from the virus

. failed to control the outbreak within the country

. destroyed data about the virus

. misled the WHO about the virus

. censored social media references to the disease

. prevented doctors & press from reporting the virus

. & made misleading & false statements about the status & severity of the outbreak in China".

These claims, in 3 US courts, are seeking c. "US $20 trillion for injuries & damages" in the US alone.

Legally, it is very difficult for complainants in a non-international court to be given leave, by that court, to take action against a foreign government (cf an international tribunal). Even if successful in US courts, China would be very unlikely to agree to pay any damages.

Last edited:
+~30% is 'fractionally', several items were clearly overpriced compared to usual, they're taking advantage not that I'm surprised.

If it stops the export overseas it has to happen. I personally didn’t notice it yesterday and I have a young Bub. Think the shop was $170 odd and it’s usually around that mark.

Microwaved food is better than no food, dickhead. Especially when it is only for a short time and they aren't paying for it. Such a shame they cant call Uber Eats either, what a massive sacrifice to make when thousands of others have lost their jobs and don't know when their next pay is coming. We should all feel so sorry for these victims locked up in hotel rooms!

They can always stay on a cruise ship together there’s a few in the ocean that can be of service.

Seriously complaining on the type of food...it’s FREE! What did you expect? A 5 star fine dining experience everyday lol

Mar 16, 2008
Uppercomebackwest
AFL Club
Richmond
Your overreacting plus assuming things as you have no idea how much somone eats as you don't live in other people's homes to see what they eat. Some people are small eaters and a month worth of food for some people is three months for others. Plus some people always buy for months as they have many kids and also people live out on a farms 30 to 100+ kilometers away from shops. Do you have kids??
There is still no toilet paper in many rural supermarkets. I live in small town with a small IGA toilet paper, arrived this morning at 8.30 am and was gone within minutes. An elderly gentleman inquired late morning and was told that entire delivery was gone, "But I've been coming in and asking for nearly three weeks." Then he walked off dejected. Being a small supermarket with intermittent supplies it can't provide dedicated shopping hours.

Supply and demand mate. Some things have gone up fractionally.

Nothing to do with supply and demand they are profiteering by stopping their regular specials on items and quietly jacking up prices.

Nz is even worse they closed everything except supermarkets and they took that as a green light to rip people off.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Time is the problem How do you make human trials go faster but still keep the same level of safety ?

Atm
40 first trial
200 next trial
2000 next trial

That all takes time

Do we maybe skip the first 2 and just go to a massive trial?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
In Australia and across the world they’re starting animal trials this week and the first human trials are predicted to begin early May

There is still no toilet paper in many rural supermarkets. I live in small town with a small IGA toilet paper, arrived this morning at 8.30 am and was gone within minutes. An elderly gentleman inquired late morning and was told that entire delivery was gone, "But I've been coming in and asking for nearly three weeks." Then he walked off dejected. Being a small supermarket with intermittent supplies it can't provide dedicated shopping hours.

Any decent store manager would keep some aside for him.

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle

They should be able to hold a pack for an elderly man who has been coming in for weeks.

Mar 16, 2008
Uppercomebackwest
AFL Club
Richmond
Any decent store manager would keep some aside for him.
Lots of people have been making such requests and not enough stock comes in to honour these requests, so it there is no setting things aside. The reality is that people are still buying more than they need which means that rural supermarkets are not getting their regular supply.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
If I was given a paid two weeks in a 5 star hotel I'd happily eat 2 minute noodles for each meal.

Once stayed there for a night. The room itself is simply a bed and bathroom. TV at the end. Guess on measure but maybe 4 by 3m. It is tiny. The 5 star component is for the buffet restaurants, pool, gym, access to crown and conference room. They get none of that. Can't use their money to buy s**t either as no delivery is allowed. Also only can have what they bought in luggage. So if they didn't bring a laptop, DVD player, Game console on holiday they have TV and their window for entertainment. It would suck.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Have you never slept in a good bed? You'd give up everything else in life to sleep in a 5-star hotel bed?

What kind of povo sheltered life have you lived? You have my pity.
'everything else in life' is a bit extreme considering the general message at the moment is to stay at home. Are we not by your logic giving up most things in life as it is? If you're going to do it, might as well do it in style.

Also, I grew up in Werribee so that should answer a few questions.

Once stayed there for a night. The room itself is simply a bed and bathroom. TV at the end. Guess on measure but maybe 4 by 3m. It is tiny. The 5 star component is for the buffet restaurants, pool, gym, access to crown and conference room. They get none of that. Can't use their money to buy s**t either as no delivery is allowed. Also only can have what they bought in luggage. So if they didn't bring a laptop, DVD player, Game console on holiday they have TV and their window for entertainment. It would suck.

Its 2 weeks! Stop the whinging and do your part for the greater good of society. We wouldn’t be in this situation if every single overseas traveler actually self isolated. You get off a plane and you go home it’s wasn’t hard. You don’t go to your local cafe or see cousins, you go home. They can’t be trusted to do the right thing. It’s a small price to pay for the greater good of society

They have their phones. As we can see by their constant bitching on social media.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Its 2 weeks! Stop the whinging and do your part for the greater good of society. We wouldn’t be in this situation if every single overseas traveler actually self isolated. You get off a plane and you go home it’s wasn’t hard. You don’t go to your local cafe or see cousins, you go home. They can’t be trusted to do the right thing. It’s a small price to pay for the greater good of society

Its not the end of the world sure. But if governments had of closed the borders instead of making exceptions and dealt with this when they were first warned then its not as big an issue. Bit rich for them to risk everyone getting it (because they couldn't make a decision and literally sent out 3 different messages in the course of a week)) then over 48 hours swing the blame back to their citizens as acting irresponsible is something that really rankles me tbh.

Everyone now I guess has no choice but to follow the rules (for the good of others) and band together and get on with things but from my perspective my trust in both the State and Federal Government is at an all time low. On Feb 27 Morrisson sent out a tweet telling everyone to get out there and support local businesses. I mean for God's Sake March 8 we were all encouraged to go to the Cricket and support womens sport and the GP was full steam ahead. A week later everything half closes. A week later it does and suddenly its our fault the thing spread without warning. Give me a break.

Last edited:

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Its not the end of the world sure. But if governments had of closed the borders instead of making exceptions and dealt with this when they were first warned then its not as big an issue. Bit rich for them to risk everyone getting it (because they couldn't make a decision and literally sent out 3 different messages in the course of a week)) then over 48 hours swing the blame back to their citizens as acting irresponsible is something that really rankles me tbh.

Everyone now I guess has no choice but to follow the rules (for the good of others) and band together and get on with things but from my perspective my trust in both the State and Federal Government is at an all time low.
The

Everyone now I guess has no choice but to follow the rules (for the good of others) and band together and get on with things but from my perspective my trust in both the State and Federal Government is at an all time low.

Even if they closed the borders citizens would still have been allowed in. What did you want them to do just leave people os for 6 to 12 months?

It’s common sense though. Surely when you are told to self isolate you don’t have to be told what that means. You go home and isolate from others. It’s not rocket science here.

They could have cancelled their trip they knew the risks and what not. You recon I haven’t cancelled trips this year? It is what it is. We are in this together. They are lucky it’s only 2 weeks.

Its Social Media its what people do. You could always get off it and do something else............oh wait. :)
They could play games, read books etc.

Plenty of options other than TV or Window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back