What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynd is way too high. I'd have Libba Senior and Junior ahead of him.

How did Libba Jnr not get in?

Tom Liberatore ahead of Scott Wynd?!

Scott Wynd:
237 games
B&F 1992
Brownlow 1992
All Australian 1992
Captain 1994-2000
Team of the Century
Became the #1 ruckman at the age of 19, in his first full season.

Often dropped into the hole at CHB to block leads of Lockett, Dunstall, Carey, etc, and took a hammering for it.

If the Hawk, Beasley, Royal, etc era isn't included I'd go:

1. Grant
2. West
3. Johnson
4. Bontempelli
5. Boyd
6. Lake
7. Morris
8. Murphy
9. Libba Snr
10. Wynd
11. Smith
12. Darcy
13. Griffen
14. Cooney
15. Brown
16. Picken
17. Gilbee
18. Gia
19. Cross
20. Macrae

I'd probably assess on 4 criteria in order of importance being skill, longevity, toughness, leadership

Here's what the Herald Sun have gone with:

1. Grant
2. Johnson
3. Bont
4. West
5. Morris
6. Wynd
7. Rohan Smith
8. Murphy
9. Cooney
10. Matthew Boyd
11. Lake
12. Griffen
13. Nathan Brown
14. Darcy
15. Libba Snr
16. Gia
17. Picken
18. Macrae
19. Cross
20. Gilbee
I love Bont and all, and really do believe he could hit the number 1 spot, but no way would I have him above West just yet.

If West snagged even a single Brownlow (instead of his multiple podium finishes) he'd be considered one of the all time great midfielders.
7x Best and Fairest
5x All Australian
Top 10 all time for Brownlow votes
Would have won in 2000 if Woewodin didn't get those completely undeserved votes in the final round for a dogshit game

1. Grant
2. West
3. Johnson
4. Bontempelli
5. Boyd
6. Lake
7. Morris
8. Murphy
9. Libba Snr
10. Wynd
11. Smith
12. Darcy
13. Griffen
14. Cooney
15. Brown
16. Picken
17. Gilbee
18. Gia
19. Cross
20. Macrae

I'd probably assess on 4 criteria in order of importance being skill, longevity, toughness, leadership

Agree with your rating of Matty Boyd. He always seems to be underrated in these types of discussions.

Here's what the Herald Sun have gone with:

1. Grant
2. Johnson
3. Bont
4. West
5. Morris
6. Wynd
7. Rohan Smith
8. Murphy
9. Cooney
10. Matthew Boyd
11. Lake
12. Griffen
13. Nathan Brown
14. Darcy
15. Libba Snr
16. Gia
17. Picken
18. Macrae
19. Cross
20. Gilbee
Gilbee was so far ahead of the time. He is what every back flanker strives to be now, 10yrs after Linds set the bar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Grant
2. West
3. Johnson
4. Bontempelli
5. Boyd
6. Lake
7. Morris
8. Murphy
9. Libba Snr
10. Wynd
11. Smith
12. Darcy
13. Griffen
14. Cooney
15. Brown
16. Picken
17. Gilbee
18. Gia
19. Cross
20. Macrae

I was also thinking how does the football world, and even our own
club rank M Boyd below Murphy for instance? Gee we could really do with his toughness in this current talented team. M Boyd and Dale Morris and Liam Picken uncompromising, fearless, a

True and although he didn’t have the biggest rig he was always the first in there flying the flag for his teammates. Never took a backward step did the Hawk.
Imagine what would have happened if Hawkins and ‘Super’ McPherson were playing in last years final against GWS... my god, those 2 would have been licking their lips!!
greene, de Boar etc would not have known what hit them.
Makes we wonder who we'd pick if we wanted a Footscray/WB tuffnut side. I'll open the convo with this suggestion. I'm bound to have left out plenty of good bad ones. I'm sure there were plenty of hard men before the 1960s so feel free to add a few. Qualification is 30 games in the RW&B.

B: Wheeler, Kennedy, Southern​
HB: Kretiuk, Lake, Sutton​
C: Hawkins, West, Dimattina​
HF: MacPherson, Whitten, Gowers​
F: Redpath, Hall, Clay Smith​
R: Minson, Tom Liberatore, Tony Liberatore​
Int: Picken, Romero, Ben Hudson, Beveridge​

I'd love to see that side line up against GWS' faux tough guys.

Makes we wonder who we'd pick if we wanted a Footscray/WB tuffnut side. I'll open the convo with this suggestion. I'm bound to have left out plenty of good bad ones. I'm sure there were plenty of hard men before the 1960s so feel free to add a few. Qualification is 30 games in the RW&B.

Love the concept and the team. But would have M Boyd and Dale Morris in that team every time. Ahead of Gowers and Lake?

going to say I would have The People's Beard before Minno, then spotted him on the bench :)

and how about Bailey Smith instead of Gowers

As well as his skill with the ball Doug seemed to be able to read the play really well. I went to game where he equaled EJs record then the one where he broke it and changed ends to watch him after each quarter. He was on HBF but didn’t seem to bother too much about his opponent and the ball magically landed in his hands - then he sent it back down the other end with booming 60m kicks. Happily we won both games

Just read your post and you are right about Dougie.....I still remember the 85 final series (lucky enough to be at each 3 of the games) and Dougie was brilliant in all 3 games....if my memory is correct even in the qualifying final against Hawthorn, where they served up a real belting, as usual Dougie and Dipper went at it where Dougie played that well Dipper got dragged....and Hawks won this game by 80/90 points.....unfortunately I only got to see EJ only once in his last year so for me Dougie is still the best player in red, white & blue who I've seen. Though it should be said The Bont is quickly closing the gap and you can only hope he gets there

Robbie McGhie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back