Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last 12 days alone it’s gone up by 40,000 dead and 700,000 reported cases. It’s scary to think what they’ll be in another 12 days (let alone 70).
In that same period of 12 days 100 000 people died from alcohol related deaths...
I couldn't give you the number of people who have become addicted to alcohol or had an excessive drink during in the same period but I would say it would be a lot higher than 700k.

At some stage we have to decide if we are going to take this pandemic as seriously as we are (rightly or wrongly) we have to also apply those same standards to the other aspects of our daily life which all take for granted.

What the hell are Americans doing? I swear they were on 50k the other day.

A combination of no universal health care, no paid sick leave, a population naturally distrustful of the government, and Trump.

In that same period of 12 days 100 000 people died from alcohol related deaths...
I couldn't give you the number of people who have become addicted to alcohol or had an excessive drink during in the same period but I would say it would be a lot higher than 700k.

At some stage we have to decide if we are going to take this pandemic as seriously as we are (rightly or wrongly) we have to also apply those same standards to the other aspects of our daily life which all take for granted.

This is a pointless comparison. Alcoholism, cancer, heart disease etc aren't contagious. Somebody with alcoholism isn't accidentally going to infect 50 other people with alcoholism because they went on a trip to the shops.

Number in ICU across Australia is down 1 but this is the first day 3 deaths have been recorded.

WA and Tas figures not in yet.

Apparently there's no real NSW border control policy in place, local Police have been putting on facebook.

Can sense some real unease that they want border restrictions.

BHill has had 2 cases in 2 days now, from people from away recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's some oxymoron here.

The kind to usually be distrustful of government are the same ones who voted for Donald.

The ones who voted for Trump are also the ones who genuinely believe and spread that China and the Democrats released this virus and caused the shutdown of the world economy and the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people intentionally just to make Trump look bad in an election year. Even Trump himself referred to it as a 'Democrat hoax' in the early days. These same people who cry about 'fake news'. They're not right in the head.

Last edited:
There's some oxymoron here.

The kind to usually be distrustful of government are the same ones who voted for Donald.

Draining the swamp dude :p

It'd be nice to think that this pandemic prompts a rethink... Globalisation has some excellent positives but it's been pretty shithouse on some fronts.
I think the opposite. Our country has been able to benefit from information from other countries on what is working and what isn't. Medical researchers across the globe are working together chasing a common goal. There has definitely been a challenge with how quickly the virus has spread across the globe due to how connected we are, but Spanish flu still made its way around the world in a far less connected world.

no it's not.

It's about the standard we adhere to, to prevent death.
It's not equivalent. This is about what we have to do, especially if not in a high risk group, to prevent causing OTHERS deaths, more than it is about preventing our own. There's certainly valid arguments for making alcohol more expensive (without going the pointless route of prohibition), similar to cigarettes. Along with a sugar tax to help combat obesity. They aren't contagious though. If I'm down the beach in the middle of summer next to a typical 46 year old bloke with middle age spread drinking beer, his six-pack isn't going to have a detrimental effect on mine.

WHO estimates that alcohol consumption contributes to the death of ~3 million per year globally. The US are saying if they took no action, their death toll alone could be as high as 2.8 million. I shudder to think what is going to happen in high density countries with poorer health care systems like India and Indonesia. Seems pretty clear that this having much more attention from public health experts makes a lot of sense.

It's not equivalent. This is about what we have to do, especially if not in a high risk group, to prevent causing OTHERS deaths, more than it is about preventing our own. There's certainly valid arguments for making alcohol more expensive (without going the pointless route of prohibition), similar to cigarettes. Along with a sugar tax to help combat obesity. They aren't contagious though. If I'm down the beach in the middle of summer next to a typical 46 year old bloke with middle age spread drinking beer, his six-pack isn't going to have a detrimental effect on mine.

I love that you’ve somehow been able to mention your 6 pack in a thread about the coronavirus. It genuinely put a smile on my face.

It's not equivalent. This is about what we have to do, especially if not in a high risk group, to prevent causing OTHERS deaths, more than it is about preventing our own.

Seriously? Alcohol doesn't cause others deaths? Let alone the violence the crime the abuse.

And You're correct THIS IS ABOUT WHAT WE have to do, to prevent death. The standard we set ourselves.

There's certainly valid arguments for making alcohol more expensive (without going the pointless route of prohibition), similar to cigarettes. Along with a sugar tax to help combat obesity. They aren't contagious though.

It's not about it being contagious its about preventable deaths...and a standard we are all adhering to TO PREVENT DEATH.

If you ask me to stay home lock myself up in order to prevent the spread of the virus I am ok with that. Fine by me. To prevent death

But the minute I suggest we should look at the standards we set ourselves in relation to alcohol TO PREVENT DEATH, y'all lose your freaking minds.

Facts are there are 100k preventable deaths in that same 12 day period of 40k corona related deaths. You don't see an issue with standards we set ourselves between the two?

If I'm down the beach in the middle of summer next to a typical 46 year old bloke with middle age spread drinking beer, his six-pack isn't going to have a detrimental effect on mine.
This is has nothing to do with my point.irrelivant.[/Quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back