Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't think the Catholics give Mary a good run . God you're a spud.

Yet again, you miss the point and continue with your insults for disagreement. The Bible is certainly filled with interesting female characters, I'm not arguing that. Women play a big role in Jesus's life, yes. But none of this suggests any sort of message that women are equal to men.For example out of so many prophets why arent any women? All the examples you gave still line up with the Bible's portrait of the ideal woman as a submissive, modest, gentle, obedient slave. I'm not accusing Jesus of being sexist, because the Bible doesn't say anything about his thoughts on gender equality. All I'm saying is, he doesn't contradict it.

I'm also not concerned with whether the Bible was more or less sexist with other writings at the time. The New Testament arguably has more overt sexism than the Old, especially the writings of Paul. He honours women...so long as they are submissive and obedient to their superior husbands.

Last edited:
I would be open to the idea of Genesis 3:16 being merely an objective explanation for sexism, except for the fact that God says it. Going off of the rules set by the whole Bible, all of God's actions, words, and commands are completely just. So, God believed that having women serve men until the end of time was a just punishment. Whether or not it is just, God is sexist by definition, and so is the Bible.
It's no coincidence that the bible authors were all male.

I actually think a lot of the Christians in this thread are doing a pretty decent job of answering the questions.
Greater minds that any of us here have pondered subjects like free will, why does God allow evil, the nature of God, etc for as long as recorded history so its pretty unreasonable to expect definitive answers in a few lines here.
Thing is God is by most definitions ineffable - too great or extreme to be expressed or described in words. Theology and philosophy are subjects for a lifetime of study.

The question I have: Sixandahalf who I think puts his arguments across well stated:

"Every unrighteous act is weighted evenly in God's eyes. There's no account of a person falling dead instantly before God for homosexuality or fornicating. On the other hand, in the New Testament, a man and his wife fell dead on the spot lying before the Spirit of God.

If you want to read anything into those that's up to you. For me, lying before God would invoke such a reaction from God speaks volumes of the seriousness of lying. And we've all told a lie before. As I said, sexuality won't be the only factor that determines someone's consequences. It's a small aspect. If you love lying, you have more cause for worry than sexual immorality".

So how can there be such a thing as Christians for Trump?
The Bible speaks many times of the evil of Pride. Trump is boastful & self aggrandising to the point of narcissism.
Trump is an adulterer. Trump is a thief and mostly he is probably the most egregious liar ever to hold public office anywhere.

How has Christianity gotten to the point where the most fundamental moral codes expressed within the bible can be overlooked in the name of winning a political contest?

I actually think a lot of the Christians in this thread are doing a pretty decent job of answering the questions.
Greater minds that any of us here have pondered subjects like free will, why does God allow evil, the nature of God, etc for as long as recorded history so its pretty unreasonable to expect definitive answers in a few lines here.
Thing is God is by most definitions ineffable - too great or extreme to be expressed or described in words. Theology and philosophy are subjects for a lifetime of study.

The question I have: Sixandahalf who I think puts his arguments across well stated:

"Every unrighteous act is weighted evenly in God's eyes. There's no account of a person falling dead instantly before God for homosexuality or fornicating. On the other hand, in the New Testament, a man and his wife fell dead on the spot lying before the Spirit of God.

If you want to read anything into those that's up to you. For me, lying before God would invoke such a reaction from God speaks volumes of the seriousness of lying. And we've all told a lie before. As I said, sexuality won't be the only factor that determines someone's consequences. It's a small aspect. If you love lying, you have more cause for worry than sexual immorality".

The Bible speaks many times of the evil of Pride. Trump is boastful & self aggrandising to the point of narcissism.
Trump is an adulterer. Trump is a thief and mostly he is probably the most egregious liar ever to hold public office anywhere.

How has Christianity gotten to the point where the most fundamental moral codes expressed within the bible can be overlooked in the name of winning a political contest?
"All thinking men are atheists". Ernest Hemingway

You can justify any thing using ..for the greater good. I have no idea what Trump promised or what he stands for. But let’s say he was more anti abortion than other candidates etc.
Do conservatives naturally vote Republican anyway.
From over here .. you wonder how anyone could vote for him etc.

Yet again, you miss the point and continue with your insults for disagreement. The Bible is certainly filled with interesting female characters, I'm not arguing that. Women play a big role in Jesus's life, yes. But none of this suggests any sort of message that women are equal to men.For example out of so many prophets why arent any women? All the examples you gave still line up with the Bible's portrait of the ideal woman as a submissive, modest, gentle, obedient slave. I'm not accusing Jesus of being sexist, because the Bible doesn't say anything about his thoughts on gender equality. All I'm saying is, he doesn't contradict it.

I'm also not concerned with whether the Bible was more or less sexist with other writings at the time. The New Testament arguably has more overt sexism than the Old, especially the writings of Paul. He honours women...so long as they are submissive and obedient to their superior husbands.

Paul is Paul. Who cares. Good evangelist.. wrote some good letters to some spots that were having trouble . Never got the top job. Friggin Roman

Was Jesus a feminist?

This bloke wasn’t .. not sure what team he was batting for

AUGUSTINE
Bishop of Hippo, Doctor of the Church and Latin Father, 354-430

“I don’t see what sort of help woman was created to provide man with, if one excludes procreation. If woman is not given to man for help in bearing children, for what help could she be? To till the earth together? If help were needed for that, man would have been a better help for man. The same goes for comfort in solitude. How much more pleasure is it for life and conversation when two friends live together than when a man and a woman cohabitate?”

Last edited:
You can justify any thing using ..for the greater good. I have no idea what Trump promised or what he stands for. But let’s say he was more anti abortion than other candidates etc.
Do conservatives naturally vote Republican anyway.
From over here .. you wonder how anyone could vote for him etc.
that's why I put my question to Sixandahalf who appears to take this stuff quite literally and maintains a consistent position in all his arguments. I take his point that - let he who is without sin among us cast the first stone, makes us unfit to judge others as only God can judge and it is quite likely all the other candidates have various failings when viewed from a Christian position however Trumps manifest and blatant failings - adulterous, prideful, dishonest cannot possibly be conformed with a Christian morality if one is being strict.

Paul is Paul. Who cares. Good evangelist.. wrote some good letters to some spots that were having trouble . Never got the top job. Friggin Roman

Was Jesus a feminist?

This bloke wasn’t .. not sure what team he was batting for

AUGUSTINE
Bishop of Hippo, Doctor of the Church and Latin Father, 354-430

“I don’t see what sort of help woman was created to provide man with, if one excludes procreation. If woman is not given to man for help in bearing children, for what help could she be? To till the earth together? If help were needed for that, man would have been a better help for man. The same goes for comfort in solitude. How much more pleasure is it for life and conversation when two friends live together than when a man and a woman cohabitate?”

it's not Paul's words it's GODS words. The first instance is where God says to Eve "Your desire will be for your husband, and he shall rule over you." (Genesis 3:16) This is the Bible's explanation for why the husband "rules over" the wife. A verse that's too long for me to quote here (Deuteronomy 22:13-21, link here) recites the law that, if a man's wife is found to not be a virgin, she is stoned to death. There is no similar law for men that I can find.

There are many mixed messages towards women in the Bible, given that it was composed over hundreds of years by many different people with different agendas. But what these messages all have in common is that they portray women as inferior. A woman's duty, says the Bible, is to serve her husband, and a man's duty is to lord over his wife, are you denying this? i can find 10 God's words from the Bible which states this.

All female characters in Bible are submissive, all obedient, and all modest. Sarah hardly does anything except serve her husband dutifully. Miriam was only a leader among the women, which is completely acceptable by the standards of any of the above quotes. You have male heroes like David, who cheated on his wife constantly but was totally forgiven by God, but female adulterers are treated as whores and sinners. It's a common misconception that sexism is "a hatred of women". If you say "all women should make their husband a sandwich every day" and then praise a woman who actually did make a sandwich for her husband every day as a "hero", then you're still a sexist.

Last edited:
Can a woman become the Pope?

No. There is a physical genitalia examination of any newly chosen pope. He sits on a special chair (a bit like a dunny seat) and hoisted off the ground. A couple of the cardinals lift up his robes and have a look. Apparently there was one time a woman was made pope and it caused such a scandal they had to introduce this test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. There is a physical genitalia examination of any newly chosen pope. He sits on a special chair (a bit like a dunny seat) and hoisted off the ground. A couple of the cardinals lift up his robes and have a look. Apparently there was one time a woman was made pope and it caused such a scandal they had to introduce this test.

That’s a myth based on a myth based on a couple of dodgy looking chairs.

it's not Paul's words it's GODS words. The first instance is where God says to Eve "Your desire will be for your husband, and he shall rule over you." (Genesis 3:16) This is the Bible's explanation for why the husband "rules over" the wife. A verse that's too long for me to quote here (Deuteronomy 22:13-21, link here) recites the law that, if a man's wife is found to not be a virgin, she is stoned to death. There is no similar law for men that I can find.

There are many mixed messages towards women in the Bible, given that it was composed over hundreds of years by many different people with different agendas. But what these messages all have in common is that they portray women as inferior. A woman's duty, says the Bible, is to serve her husband, and a man's duty is to lord over his wife, are you denying this? i can find 10 God's words from the Bible which states this.

All female characters in Bible are submissive, all obedient, and all modest. Sarah hardly does anything except serve her husband dutifully. Miriam was only a leader among the women, which is completely acceptable by the standards of any of the above quotes. You have male heroes like David, who cheated on his wife constantly but was totally forgiven by God, but female adulterers are treated as whores and sinners. It's a common misconception that sexism is "a hatred of women". If you say "all women should make their husband a sandwich every day" and then praise a woman who actually did make a sandwich for her husband every day as a "hero", then you're still a sexist.

Yep

All female characters in Bible are submissive, all obedient, and all modest. Sarah hardly does anything except serve her husband dutifully. Miriam was only a leader among the women, which is completely acceptable by the standards of any of the above quotes.

Well the life of Mary Magdalene from sinner to saint, ability to talk about about the life of Christ better than some of his apostles would be an exception.

mikey127 is the coronavirus pandemic a result of our sin?

Wow that’s a very vengeful god then. Goes even a bit beyond anger management.

Big Fella: “Thou turn your back on me? I give you a pandemic”.

Mindless Follower: “Yes sir, i will follow, anything for eternal life...anything”

If you look at history, this is really nothing new. Some awful atrocities have been committed by the highest of Christians. Look at the European wars of religion. Have a read of the various deeds of the Popes. Go visit Avignon and have a look at the torture chambers (cunningly built so the screams of the victims were not heard by the Pope) . The Inquisition. Burnings at the stake.

Wow that’s a very vengeful god then. Goes even a bit beyond anger management.

Big Fella: “Thou turn your back on me? I give you a pandemic”.

Mindless Follower: “Yes sir, i will follow, anything for eternal life...anything”

What I find interesting is that it is religious countries that are being hardest hit (The US, Italy, Spain, Iran). How does that fit with the punishment view?

Surely it should be the religious countries that are protected rather than secular Australia or South Korea.

If you look at history, this is really nothing new. Some awful atrocities have been committed by the highest of Christians. Look at the European wars of religion. Have a read of the various deeds of the Popes. Go visit Avignon and have a look at the torture chambers (cunningly built so the screams of the victims were not heard by the Pope) . The Inquisition. Burnings at the stake.
There's a saying the South African Indigenous people use:

"The Christians arrived when we owned all the land and all they had were their Bibles.
Within a few short years all we had were their Bibles and they owned all the Land"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back