Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm amazed they stopped at two teams.

You should troll these clowns Scotty by offering up two particular Victorian teams for the axe......... West Coast & Fremantle.:p

They do tend to get a tad postal when you point out this fact to them.

I'm amazed they stopped at two teams.

You should troll these clowns Scotty by offering up two particular Victorian teams for the axe......... West Coast & Fremantle.:p

They do tend to get a tad postal when you point out this fact to them.

Getting rid of those two teams is actually a good idea.

One of the main problems (and costs) of the competition is the amount of long distance travel for teams. Get rid of the 4-hour trips and that problem is removed, and we have a streamlined competition concentrated on the eastern half of the country, where it belongs.

If we're going to tweak with numbers, then the foundation VFL teams should be the ones deciding which of the Johnny-come-lately interstate teams are chopped. AFL is our competition, they were invited to join.

Do it, Gil.

I hit a paywall which I'm glad.
Had a funny feeling North was going to be mentioned

I dunno either mate, but they had the saints as their banner picture:

1586821588339.png

I think it's partly a function of us always getting the s**t draw - I suspect we would have had more Easter Sunday and Mother's Day games than any other team.

You remember a Mothers day game v Freo at the MCG with a crowd of maybe 12,000 odd ? Think they led by a point at 1/2 time but we ended up winning by 13 goals or so ?

Hes lost the plot
Wtf was that?

Marc McGowan, once these restrictions are lifted I'd like to knock your teeth back into your throat.

And not TT style.
It has to be a troll. You can make a case for all 'stunning performances'. Other than Belly, Sam Mitchell, Dusty and Tex, we had the following.
-Ricciuto kicking 5 in his 300th back in 2006
-Troy Wilson kicking 5 against us in Canberra and only playing 5 more games in his career before being finished
-Ablett. Less said the better
-Dangerfield. He romped us in the same game Taylor Walker gets mentioned. Not to mention the 50 touches had the next time we came up against him.
-Josh Kennedy. Who visually cant tell the difference between roadkill and blue and white stripes.

Ollie Wines is thrown in there so it doesnt look obvious
* you Marc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hit a paywall which I'm glad.
Had a funny feeling North was going to be mentioned

Saints mentioned but it’s a slow news article, not worth your time:

Former WA Football Commission, West Coast chairman Murray McHenry says the financial future of the AFL could mean the axing of two Victorian clubs
Mark DuffieldThe West Australian
Monday, 13 April 2020

The AFL is yet to decide on a return date for the AFL season but players are expected to be back at training as early as May 4

Former WA Football Commission chairman Murray McHenry believes the coronavirus crisis could kill off two clubs in Victoria and said the AFL should not provide rescue funding to clubs that are insolvent.
McHenry, who retired from the WAFC chairmanship at the end of last year, also called on the league to raise the draft age, reduce list sizes and slash player payments and the football department soft cap on the way out of the current crisis.
And McHenry, who is also a former West Coast chairman, said the Eagles and WAFC should be prepared to rescue Fremantle if the Dockers were in danger of becoming insolvent.

WA needed to have two strong clubs moving forward after taxpayers had funded the building of a $1 billion stadium for those clubs to use.
Murray McHenry has served as chairman at both West Coast and the WA Football Commission.
Murray McHenry has served as chairman at both West Coast and the WA Football Commission. Credit: Ben Crabtree/WA News

McHenry acknowledged that it was a painful experience to lose football clubs but he urged the AFL to look at the solvency of all Victorian clubs.
The AFL got “80 per cent if not more” of its decisions right.
“But we are still pretty top heavy in Victoria and we do tend to make Victorian decisions in some cases,” he said.
“They have got some hard decisions. You have got an immediate problem that is not going to be solved by Tasmania. The immediate problem is solvency.
“I don’t know the intricate details of the clubs but I would say St Kilda is one and it would be a photo finish for the second.
“They have been funded out of problems for years.”
St.Kilda Football Club training facility
St.Kilda Football Club training facility Credit: MICHAEL DODGE/AAP IMAGE
He thought list sizes could be cut to 40.
“If you cut the list at the end of the year there might be players between 33 and 36 years old who get cut a year earlier who may be on higher numbers (wages),” he said.
But he believed the biggest savings would come by cutting the non-player football department spending.
“It may have driven the game to a slightly higher level,” McHenry said. “But has it come at a price? I think it has come at a price we can’t afford.
Paddy Ryder of the Saints and Robbie Tarrant of the Kangaroos compete for the ball during the Round 1
Paddy Ryder of the Saints and Robbie Tarrant of the Kangaroos compete for the ball during the Round 1 Credit: SCOTT BARBOUR/AAPIMAGE

“You see them get off the team bus and you are lucky to spot the players. I get they have all got jobs and they are all accountable but has it been taken too far?”
He said list cuts would give the AFL the ideal chance to lift the draft age.
“What do we do at draft time? You have to give all of the people cut the opportunity to be picked up again,” he said.
“My view is that you absolutely raise the age by one year. If two clubs fell over what happens to all of those players?”

One of the main problems (and costs) of the competition is the amount of long distance travel for teams. Get rid of the 4-hour trips and that problem is removed, and we have a streamlined competition concentrated on the eastern half of the country, where it belongs.

If we're going to tweak with numbers, then the foundation VFL teams should be the ones deciding which of the Johnny-come-lately interstate teams are chopped. AFL is our competition, they were invited to join.

Do it, Gil.
While they are at it, merge the Gold Coast with the bears and after the merge, got rid the resultant abomination as well.

Do it, Gil.

Western Australia is too much of a cash cow to chop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back