Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Morris-Dalton should've played earlier in the season.
One of the reasons why we really need the VFLW or some form of lower tier games run alongside the AFLW season. It's really a terrible system having fit players not playing any games whatsoever, and having not really having a good way to push for selection. At least with the mens, you know that fit players not getting a game are at least given a chance to further their development/find form.

Well it looks like season is done folks. Final two rounds have been cut due to coronavirus, so finals can begin immediately, and added two additional teams to the finals to compensate (for 8 teams now instead of 6). Given the dogs would've faced the top two sides in conference A in GWS and North Melbourne, I'll take ending the season on somewhat of a high note, with some confidence to go into the VFLW (well, if it still happens) and next year.

AFLW finals structure revealed after season cut short
Sarah Black
  • Melbourne-v-West-Coast-AFLW.JPG

THE REMAINING two rounds of the 2020 NAB AFLW season have been scrapped as a response to the COVID-19 crisis, with an extended eight-team finals series to kick off this weekend.
AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan confirmed the move on Wednesday night, saying a full fixture will be released on Thursday morning.

A three-week finals series was previously planned, with the top three sides in each conference qualifying, but while the length of this new finals series is yet to be confirmed, we will see an extra two sides take to the field.
The sides to qualify from Conference A are North Melbourne, GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast, while Conference B teams are Fremantle, Carlton, Melbourne and Collingwood.

This was the AFLW playing group's preferred structure – as nominated in a survey conducted by the AFLPA on Monday night – to compensate for the final two rounds being cut.
It will be Gold Coast's first ever finals series as a club, with the AFL side having so far failed to finish in the top eight.
Adelaide's very outside chance of defending its premiership is over, while Geelong, the Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, Richmond and West Coast will also miss out on finals.

"We would like to acknowledge and pay tribute to all 14 clubs and players in our competition, who have worked incredibly hard across the season. They should be extremely proud of what they have achieved," AFL head of women's football Nicole Livingstone said.
"Particularly to the clubs that will be concluding their 2020 season; Adelaide Crows, Geelong, Western Bulldogs, and new comers West Coast Eagles, St Kilda and Richmond, thank you for your care and commitment to AFLW, your programs and your players.
"We look forward to the next three weeks of finals, and wish all eight teams the best of luck."

Well it looks like season is done folks. Final two rounds have been cut due to coronavirus, so finals can begin immediately, and added two additional teams to the finals to compensate (for 8 teams now instead of 6). Given the dogs would've faced the top two sides in conference A in GWS and North Melbourne, I'll take ending the season on somewhat of a high note, with some confidence to go into the VFLW (well, if it still happens) and next year.

So as it sits we will end up with the second pick in the VIC metro player pool after Richmond?
It will be interesting to see how the clubs will go identifying talent without any lower league games to watch.

Captain Murphy do you have any knowledge of who is shaping up as the high picks for next year?

So as it sits we will end up with the second pick in the VIC metro player pool after Richmond?
It will be interesting to see how the clubs will go identifying talent without any lower league games to watch.

Captain Murphy do you have any knowledge of who is shaping up as the high picks for next year?
Well hopefully pick 2. Wouldn't put it the past the AFL to give Richmond yet another handout, in the form of a priority pick for having a winless season. Although I don't think there's really that much difference in the top 10 picks when it comes to AFL. I mean, they were able to pluck Monique Conti (who was easily the best player in the draft) with pick 4, and basically plucked Aisling McCarthy from outta nowhere. Also, they may scrap some leagues for the year, but I do reckon we'll still have smaller comps like the U18 championships and one-off exhibition games and whatnot. It would be a smaller sample size, but I'm sure they'll have something to work with.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see what happens with this competition next year. The AFL are obviously going to be losing a lot of money in 2020, and this may be an added expense they won't want on their books when preseason comes around again. I really hope not, but it's somewhat foreseeable.
I'd be very, very surprised if that happens. They've invested too much over 10 years to let this go. It's crucial to their strategy for the development of the code.

It could be modified perhaps, but not abandoned.

I'd be very, very surprised if that happens. They've invested too much over 10 years to let this go. It's crucial to their strategy for the development of the code.

It could be modified perhaps, but not abandoned.
I hope so, and I'm not suggesting it's likely to go under but that there must be a chance.

Just looking at the cash the AFL will be bleeding this year and the impact that will have across the football industry, they're going to need to cut back in a number of areas but who knows what that means.

I hope so, and I'm not suggesting it's likely to go under but that there must be a chance.

Just looking at the cash the AFL will be bleeding this year and the impact that will have across the football industry, they're going to need to cut back in a number of areas but who knows what that means.

I think we will get it in some form. Some players already have contracts for next year, and trying to reach a settlement where the players still get paid but don't play will result in them losing even more money. Probably what they'll do is shorten both the AFLW and state leagues, shorten matches, and perhaps not broadcast every game (and maybe replace them web streams, like what they had before). There would be huge outrage if they were to not have it all.

I just got that one scouting report at this point, hard to know just going by that who the favourites are. I'll probably be relying on media like the rest of us. Happy to pour through it though if people got questions about players they've heard of.

I feel for the ladies, particularly the Fremantle girls who were undefeated and produced one of
the best games of women's football I have seen when they played us a few weeks ago. I saw
a lot of the games this year, well the free to air ones anyway, but I did the highlights of most
of the other games. Thank you ladies from all the teams, your efforts and the way you carry
yourselves is very refreshing and inspiring.

Season done, no premier. And I'd call this somewhat concerning when considering the future of the competition.

I wouldn't rule anything out yet, but the AFLW is a relatively cheap marketing campaign with proven benefits for junior player numbers and has flown on to provide a goldmine for government funding of community facilities.

If the AFLW does return in 2021 (rather than later) I am expecting that expansion and a longer regular season is further away than ever.

Clubs will be under severe pressure to cut admin staff and recruiters and I would also expect coaching staffs to be much lighter across the board until the financial impact on the game is clear and the AFL has secured funding for the league and clubs.

As I have read elsewhere speculation is that cuts at the AFL itself could also be brutal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So last night was the Bulldogs AFL B&F, and the results are in. After winning the Rising Star and being the only player at the club to be named in the All-Australian team, not too surprising to see Izzy win (she also won the Player's Player award on the night). Although second-placed Ellie Blackburn did make the initial squad of 40 for what it's worth. Somewhat surprsingly, Kirsten McLeod (who was also the team's leading goalkicker this year and won the award for most improved) placed third.

2020 AFLW Best and Fairest: Top 10
  1. Isabel Huntington – 44 votes
  2. Ellie Blackburn - 41
  3. Kirsten McLeod - 30
  4. Aisling McCarthy - 27
  5. Elizabeth Georgostathis - 24
  6. Kirsty Lamb - 23
  7. Gabby Newton - 22
  8. Kim Rennie - 22
  9. Bailey Hunt - 21
  10. Bonnie Toogood - 17
Other award winners:
Best First Year Player:
Gabby Newton
Coaches Award: Bonnie Toogood
Most Improved: Kirsten McLeod
Players’ Player: Bailey Hunt and Isabel Huntington
Community Award: Lauren Spark
Trainers Award: Kirsty Lamb

One other interesting thing to note is that there seems to be a new voting/points system used this year, under Burke (for context, I believe previous seasons, the winner would amass around over a hundred points). It was probably explained during the event, which you can can now watch a replay of in the article (I hadn't watched it yet): https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/588396/huntington-crowned-bulldogs-aflw-best-and-fairest

Also, good to see some young players in McCarthy, Georgostathis, and Newton place well inside the top 10, so a very positive night (particularly when looking to the future). Anyway, congrats to all winners, especially to my friends Ellie Blackburn & Kirsten McLeod.

Last edited:
So last night was the Bulldogs AFL B&F, and the results are in. After winning the Rising Star and being the only player at the club to be named in the All-Australian team, not too surprising to see Izzy win (she also won the Player's Player award on the night). Although second-placed Ellie Blackburn did make the initial squad of 40 for what it's worth. Somewhat surprsingly, Kirsten McLeod (who was also the team's leading goalkicker this year and won the award for most improved) placed third.

2020 AFLW Best and Fairest: Top 10
  1. Isabel Huntington – 44 votes
  2. Ellie Blackburn - 41
  3. Kirsten McLeod - 30
  4. Aisling McCarthy - 27
  5. Elizabeth Georgostathis - 24
  6. Kirsty Lamb - 23
  7. Gabby Newton - 22
  8. Kim Rennie - 22
  9. Bailey Hunt - 21
  10. Bonnie Toogood - 17
Other award winners:
Best First Year Player:
Gabby Newton
Coaches Award: Bonnie Toogood
Most Improved: Kirsten McLeod
Players’ Player: Bailey Hunt and Isabel Huntington
Community Award: Lauren Spark
Trainers Award: Kirsty Lamb

One other interesting thing to note is that there seems to be a new voting/points system used this year, under Burke (for context, I believe previous seasons, the winner would amass around over a hundred points). It was probably explained during the event, which you can can now watch a replay of in the article (I hadn't watched it yet): https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/588396/huntington-crowned-bulldogs-aflw-best-and-fairest

Also, good to see some young players in McCarthy, Georgostathis, and Newton place well inside the top 10, so a very positive night (particularly when looking to the future). Anyway, congrats to all winners, especially to my friends Ellie Blackburn & Kirsten McLeod.
Ta for that! :)

Apart from the outstanding season from Huntington I’d like to highlight Aisling McCarthy. Great effort from someone who only recently took up the game to finish fourth. Hope we can get her back ok when footyw resumes.

Apart from the outstanding season from Huntington I’d like to highlight Aisling McCarthy. Great effort from someone who only recently took up the game to finish fourth. Hope we can get her back ok when footyw resumes.
Yeah, McCarthy has been great from the moment she got there. Her improving and placing in the top 10 was no surprise to me tbh. For me, the most impressive thing is last year she looked to be a future star forward (in a struggling team), but was able to transition to the midfield this year and play better than she did the year before. She could've easily been content getting a game up forward. Hopefully the club can re-sign her (and others who placed well) as soon as they're allowed to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back