Winston Abraham

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Winnie still associate with the club? He seems very private. Hope no grudges are still being held despite how his career ended. Was he at the 99 reunion?
No, he didn't come to the reunion. Had other commitments.

No, he didn't come to the reunion. Had other commitments.

Pretty sure he turned up.

He’s been spotted in the rooms post game since, similar to Byron. Appeared happy enough mingling with North folk when doing so too.

Hmm, it's just cause I've seen plenty of past players do interviews for the youtube channel, was just watching a Byron one.

Winnie however, has done some media for the Dockers and been seen at their home games but never mentions us. Would be a bit sad if he saw himself more as a 'Docker' than a Kangaroo tbh - 15 was my first number on my jumper as a kid. Might still be very cut up about how the club managed that injury in his last years. Granted, he lives over there though I believe.

About a year ago, he made a cameo appearance on one of the North supporters pages on Facebook.
He chatted with fans for about an hour.
On the surface, everything seems to be ok

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hmm, it's just cause I've seen plenty of past players do interviews for the youtube channel, was just watching a Byron one.

Winnie however, has done some media for the Dockers and been seen at their home games but never mentions us. Would be a bit sad if he saw himself more as a 'Docker' than a Kangaroo tbh - 15 was my first number on my jumper as a kid. Might still be very cut up about how the club managed that injury in his last years. Granted, he lives over there though I believe.
He still keeps an eye on us but his kids (3 boys, 1 girl) are Freo supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shame his knee injury and pay dispute with the club ended his career. What a waste to have a player of his talent leave in his mid 20's.
Does anyone remember when an Essendon (I think) fan threw a can at him at the MCG?
I was sitting on level 3 right above him when that happened.

Any idea how many matches for each club he played?

Edit. Just checked....only 70 for us, 38 for Freo.......So sounds like the boys are eligible for Swans academy.
As a past player, Freo give him free memberships every year. North apparently don't.

As for academy, not sure if he falls under Freo's or West Coke's zone.

I remember reading about the trade of Anderson for Winnie in the Australian during my lunch break at work.....no internet and trade news in Qld non existant back then. Couldn't believe it, Anderson was a useful player, but I knew Winston was an excitement machine and couldn't wait to see him play. Though his career with us was brief, his highlights are unreal.

Also, whilst not his greatest goal, his goal against Adelaide where he picked the ball up at full pace and after stumbling and almost falling three times kicked it around his body on his left has always been my favourite of his. That and Phil Krakouer's goal against Essendon from the boundary in 85' are my two favourite North goals.....(amongst many which I have since forgotten!)

B.Harvey?

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah plenty of fine footballers over the journey for us, Winnie was a brilliant kick either foot, 65m's wasn't a stretch, could take a hanger as well as anyone. had explosive pace matched by having a very strong core. Had plenty of time with the ball and rarely made a poor choice.

Goal umpires loved him,cause they didn't need to move as the ball went straight over their heads regardless of the angle. He was the complete footballer and when people talk about underrated, he should be captain.

Does anyone remember when an Essendon (I think) fan threw a can at him at the MCG?
I don't recall a can, but I do remember a day at the G, when the AFL were blasting out their anti-racism campaign on the scoreboards and on the TV.... Against Collingwood. A bunch of blokes who were all pissed and extremely pissed off that Winston was running amuck on the field, started yelling some vile racist filth aimed at Winnie. I alerted MCG staff who were extremely ready to respond until they saw the drunk louts and completely walked away refusing to listen to me asking them to act on the AFL policy. So I rounded up a couple of cops who were also instantly keen to make a stand. When they say the pissed bastards, they did go up and have a word, but then I saw them pointing back to me. I suspect the drunk Collingwood racial abusers asked who complained, and the cops were pointing me out, sitting just a few rows back. Then, the cops just up and left after probably telling the mob to quieten down a bit.

Was not good. We (whole family including in-laws) all had to move - we ended up leaving before the end in case they beat the crap out of us (mainly me).

Yeah, I know - lagging and all that. I would do it again in the same situation though. The racial abuse isn't on.

I don't recall a can, but I do remember a day at the G, when the AFL were blasting out their anti-racism campaign on the scoreboards and on the TV.... Against Collingwood. A bunch of blokes who were all pissed and extremely pissed off that Winston was running amuck on the field, started yelling some vile racist filth aimed at Winnie. I alerted MCG staff who were extremely ready to respond until they saw the drunk louts and completely walked away refusing to listen to me asking them to act on the AFL policy. So I rounded up a couple of cops who were also instantly keen to make a stand. When they say the pissed bastards, they did go up and have a word, but then I saw them pointing back to me. I suspect the drunk Collingwood racial abusers asked who complained, and the cops were pointing me out, sitting just a few rows back. Then, the cops just up and left after probably telling the mob to quieten down a bit.

Was not good. We (whole family including in-laws) all had to move - we ended up leaving before the end in case they beat the crap out of us (mainly me).

Yeah, I know - lagging and all that. I would do it again in the same situation though. The racial abuse isn't on.

* the dogs - blokes like winston dont get their rightful praise because of *******s like you have expressed. same can be said for plenty of other indigenous players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back