Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Dow's issues with disposal are mainly due to panicking when he has the footy.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I dont think it panic as such but maybe the game moving too fast for him (or him moving to fast) and it speeds up his whole kicking process and thus poor kicks. He needs to get with the speed of the game, which he will through experience. But that has nothing to do with his goal kicking, that is all mental (and he looks mentally shot as soon as he marks it)

I hope he doesnt do too much damage mentally and the club can get his psych right, otherwise he could be a 100 game butcher by the time he is finished.

My bad...It was actually Willo who got Weitering , young Stocker with the new buzz cut stuck a tackle on bigH and wrapped him up then laid a heavy tackle on one of the young fellas and took him strait to the ground...
I think it was 2009, but after Juddy arrived at the club, he had the buzz cut mainly cos he was losing his feathers.....but all of a sudden Murph got the buzz, then Gibbs, Fev followed suit, and even big Hampson. Almost like they had this pledge of "**** the fancy stuff and hair-do's, we're getting down to business".

I dont think it panic as such but maybe the game moving too fast for him (or him moving to fast) and it speeds up his whole kicking process and thus poor kicks. He needs to get with the speed of the game, which he will through experience. But that has nothing to do with his goal kicking, that is all mental (and he looks mentally shot as soon as he marks it)

I hope he doesnt do too much damage mentally and the club can get his psych right, otherwise he could be a 100 game butcher by the time he is finished.
I think the poor goal kicking combined with the poor field kicking shows a lack of composure and technique. He's just a bad kick, we need to stop making excuses for him. He simply needs to get better.

I think it was 2009, but after Juddy arrived at the club, he had the buzz cut mainly cos he was losing his feathers.....but all of a sudden Murph got the buzz, then Gibbs, Fev followed suit, and even big Hampson. Almost like they had this pledge of "**** the fancy stuff and hair-do's, we're getting down to business".
I remember, let’s buzz ‘em all...

It was the knock on him when it was his draft year
I don't think he'll ever be a "good" kick either. He just needs to get to a point where he's not a bad kick that shanks every second one or misses simple passes.

Dangerfield isn't a good kick but he doesn't really miss the short passes he should make. I wouldn't back him to make a 45m pass but they don't really ask him to, he either takes the easy option or bombs it to some semblance of advantage. That's where Dow needs to get to, just make the passes you should and play it safe with the rest.

Interestingly Dangerfield was a common pre-draft comparison for Dow, and I can see that, though he's nowhere near the athlete Danger is, unfortunately.

I remember thinking it might've been a tactical move, actually. It meant the opposition couldn't just look for the bald bloke and tag him. Mightn't sound much but in congestion in a pinch it's an easy way to identify someone, when half the team is like it then you have to look harder.

I don't think he'll ever be a "good" kick either. He just needs to get to a point where he's not a bad kick that shanks every second one or misses simple passes.

Dangerfield isn't a good kick but he doesn't really miss the short passes he should make. I wouldn't back him to make a 45m pass but they don't really ask him to, he either takes the easy option or bombs it to some semblance of advantage. That's where Dow needs to get to, just make the passes you should and play it safe with the rest.

Interestingly Dangerfield was a common pre-draft comparison for Dow, and I can see that, though he's nowhere near the athlete Danger is, unfortunately.
Dangerfield is a thumping kick when he makes pure contact, not always consistent with it though. Paddy very rarely seen to time them well.

Dangerfield is a thumping kick when he makes pure contact, not always consistent with it though. Paddy very rarely seen to time them well.
He can kick far, just not to a target consistently. The sound off his boot is great.

You're right, though. My point basically was Dow just needs to get to a point where he can make the easy kicks and not butcher it no matter what he's doing - long, short or indifferent.

Random questions on the training restrictions at the moment:

- Can you have multiple groups of 10 (or whatever the number is) at different parts of the ground running different drills?
- If so, is there a minimum distance required between groups?
- Can players move between groups from one session to another, provided there are no more than 10 at any one time?
- Can a football move from one group to another, provided those groups are far enough apart?

I'm mostly just musing on what aspects of the game we're going to be unable to train effectively at the moment. For example, how effectively can the forwards train if 5 defenders + 5 forwards is the cap, and you then can't have the mids actually kicking the ball to them? Or in order to do so, do you need to scale it down to 4 on 4, plus some mids working on their delivery. Or can you just have a 20m exclusion zone between the midfield session and the forwards, but the ball can still be kicked from one to another?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Random questions on the training restrictions at the moment:

- Can you have multiple groups of 10 (or whatever the number is) at different parts of the ground running different drills?
- If so, is there a minimum distance required between groups?
- Can players move between groups from one session to another, provided there are no more than 10 at any one time?
- Can a football move from one group to another, provided those groups are far enough apart?

I'm mostly just musing on what aspects of the game we're going to be unable to train effectively at the moment. For example, how effectively can the forwards train if 5 defenders + 5 forwards is the cap, and you then can't have the mids actually kicking the ball to them? Or in order to do so, do you need to scale it down to 4 on 4, plus some mids working on their delivery. Or can you just have a 20m exclusion zone between the midfield session and the forwards, but the ball can still be kicked from one to another?
Yes, they have two groups of 10 out on the ground, with a 20m zone in between each group.

I believe no shared equipment is permitted between each group so you can't really do circle training witht he two groups kicking to one another over the buffer zone.

I believe all restrictions are out the window for the contact sessions though.

The days of the big strong lumbering ruckman who doesn't do enough around the ground are long gone. Pittonet played two games alongside Ceglar in 2019 with McEvoy missing. In those two games he took a total of 1 mark and had a total of 19 disposals. Would rather invest games into TDK who will at least be competitive in general play.

I hear what you're saying but I think Pittonet could be a Nankervis type...big, physical ruck who plays his role. I'd be happy with that.

Helped Richmond win their first premiership and we could do with a big physical presence in the middle...a lot of our mids are still young and small.
TDK might do more around the ground, but he'd probably also get physically dominated in the ruck and around stoppages which would put our midfield to the sword.

Also Danger has a booming kick on him...so easy option or long bombs are both pretty effective for his team. From what i've seen Dow isn't a particular long kick so he's missing that weapon Danger has.

The days of the big strong lumbering ruckman who doesn't do enough around the ground are long gone. Pittonet played two games alongside Ceglar in 2019 with McEvoy missing. In those two games he took a total of 1 mark and had a total of 19 disposals. Would rather invest games into TDK who will at least be competitive in general play.

It's a small sample size, but his tackle count is very reasonable for someone of his size.

Pittonet may not get around the ground as well as some of the best rucks in the business, but I don't think a lack of competitiveness is holding him back.

He seems to be a fairly similar type to Mumford who at his best was a beast around the contest, but was never any good around the ground.

It's a small sample size, but his tackle count is very reasonable for someone of his size.

Pittonet may not get around the ground as well as some of the best rucks in the business, but I don't think a lack of competitiveness is holding him back.

He seems to be a fairly similar type to Mumford who at his best was a beast around the contest, but was never any good around the ground.
I think the athletic get around the ground extra midfielder type ruckman is a luxury and somewhat overrated. Who were the last premiers that had an "extra midfielder" type ruckman?

The last 9 premiers
Nankervis
Lycett
Nankervis
Roughhead/Boyd
McEvoyx2
Max Bailey
Mumford
Ottens

Even the losing grand finalists don't really have that type of ruckmen.
Mumford
Grundy
Jacobs
Naismith
Naitanui
Pyke
Sandilands
Hale
Jolly

Not a lot of that sort of athletic midfield type ruckmen here 2 total in 18 and 0 winners - it goes back further, and the stats are the same, but that's the last 9. It's mostly big physical at the contest types. The hyper athletic big man sounds nice and looks exceptional at times, but it's overrated and not a necessity at all. Pittonet will do fine.

Last edited:
Never seen the kid play or his kicking style in motion but the pictures of Ramsay's kicking style is absolutely perfect ball drop every time and looks like he should be a ripping kick.
Think SOS nailed last years draft, looking forward to watching Philp and Ramsay develop and the fact that Kemp has died his hair blond shows that he doesn't lack confidence.

I think the athletic get around the ground extra midfielder type ruckman is a luxury and somewhat overrated. Who were the last premiers that had an "extra midfielder" type ruckman?

The last 9 premiers
Nankervis
Lycett
Nankervis
Roughhead/Boyd
McEvoyx2
Max Bailey
Mumford
Ottens

Even the losing grand finalists don't really have that type of ruckmen.
Mumford
Grundy
Jacobs
Naismith
Naitanui
Pyke
Sandilands
Hale
Jolly

Not a lot of that sort of athletic midfield type ruckmen here 2 total in 18 and 0 winners - it goes back further, and the stats are the same, but that's the last 9. It's mostly big physical at the contest types. The hyper athletic big man sounds nice and looks exceptional at times, but it's overrated and not a necessity at all. Pittonet will do fine.
It’s why I was fine with Collingwood coughing up all that coin for Grundy actually

He’s an absolute star but having a ruckman like him is more of a luxury IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back