Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Need full article for ... Reasons
North Melbourne’s rivalry with Essendon dates back 125 years and remains real to this day

If you think the rivalry between North Melbourne and Essendon isn’t real, think again. In fact, Roos great Glenn Archer hates the Bombers so much he won’t even mention the club’s name.
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
May 26, 2020 5:45pm
Pies train at full throttle

North Melbourne board member and club legend Glenn Archer says his club’s hatred of Essendon is real after Rhyce Shaw’s gentle jibe about sharing a plane with the Bombers.

Shaw said of sharing a plane to Sydney with the Bombers on Sunday June 14: “It’s not ideal, especially with that team, but we’ll just see how we go.”

The comment was laughed off as light-hearted but there remains genuine rivalry dating back to the formation of the VFL.

Essendon blocked North Melbourne’s entry because it would hamper their recruiting grounds, and 125 years on many current and past Kangaroos players and officials still hate the Dons.

Jake Stringer’s cheeky wave to the North Melbourne crowd as he sealed a 2018 victory was the latest issue to fire up some irate Roos officials.

Jake Stringer soaks up the clock and kicks the goal. ⏰#AFLDonsNorth pic.twitter.com/Dh1CtYp8hT
— AFL (AFL) July 1, 2018

Archer told the Herald Sun he hated Essendon so much he wouldn’t even mention the name of the club.

“I don’t use their name. The team next door, I call them. It’s not part of my vocabulary. It is a legitimate rivalry, particularly in my mind. Whenever I speak to young guys it is something I say you do need to realise how much we hate them. If you can’t win the Grand Final the next best thing is to beat that team. It’s a premiership or beat them.

“They are our rivals. It goes back to the 20s when they tried to stop us getting into the league. They beat us in our first Grand Final. Through the 90s we had some real good battles and I couldn’t stand them and I still can’t.”

“Particularly their 69-point comeback, it was the first time I ever captained the club. Wayne Carey and Anthony Stevens were out so I was up at half time. I did say at half time to “Duck” this is how we captain. I went back with my tail between my legs.

“Rhyce is aware of it. I was one of the guys on the panel that put him on and no doubt I said to him, if there is one game you have to win each year, it’s that one.”

Veteran North Melbourne administrator Greg Miller said the club’s hatred of Essendon remained real.

“Denis Pagan spent 12 months at Essendon in 1992 and even in that time it was Pagan v Slug Jordan coaching the thirds (reserves). It was a massive rivalry in my time at North.

“Through the whole 1990s it was Pagan v Kevin Sheedy in the coaches box and it was quite pronounced. Pagan had the better of Sheedy in the box so it was a real battle.

“It was going for the man, it was all fun and then when we lost in 1993 and 1994 Sheedy said you weren’t a good side until you won a flag.

“I tried to get Mark Harvey across to be a leader for us when Wayne Carey got the (captaincy) and Sheeds said yes and then changed his mind at the last minute. Harves never came but it was a great rivalry.

The night I crashed the Brownlow after-party

“When we traded, Essendon was the hardest club to deal with, they would say one thing and then do something else so we were battling at trade time. Then in 1999 when Essendon had the best team Denis and I went to watch the prelim final and they got beat and we loved that.

“Sheedy is great for footy. The marshmallow wars were great, Sheedy would ring on the sly and say, “Watch the crowd I generate out of this” but the next game after the marshmallow (comment) was a final so the AFL got the money out of that. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen, everyone bringing a pack of marshmallows.”

Sheedy’s soft comment lit a spark under his players, as Essendon won six clashes from that time on including a record 125-point qualifying final win in 2000 and the greatest AFL comeback (69 points) in 2001.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
They got kicked out of the finals for running a systematic doping regime headed by a discredited mad sports scientist, a bullshit artist, an oft fellated club champion and a premiership coach that is on trial for trafficking hard gear.

******* shitstains.

They got kicked out of the finals for running a systematic doping regime headed by:
- a discredited mad sports scientist,
- a bullshit artist,
- an oft fellated club champion,
- a premiership coach that is on trial for trafficking hard gear.

1590489595680.png

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
They got kicked out of the finals for running a systematic doping regime headed by a discredited mad sports scientist, a bullshit artist, an oft fellated club champion and a premiership coach that is on trial for trafficking hard gear.

******* shitstains.

..and allowed the #1 national draft pick because.. essendon.

goalieboy82

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Fairfax Kangaroos
Saw a few upset * supporters on twitter saying Shaw making a storm in a teacup over a non-existent rivalry, north irrelevant etc etc.
I reckon we get scamper to start spreading rumours that he's in cahoots with Eddie and and planning to takeover Anzac Day. I'd at least enjoy the theatre.
19931.jpeg

it could be done.

Rhyce showing some quality media game ... and managing up to Arch very nicely.

It is a good shift away from Brad's anodyne professionalism.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Rhyce showing some quality media game ... and managing up to Arch very nicely.

It is a good shift away from Brad's anodyne professionalism.

r0_136_5568_3403_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

"We have the utmost respect for Essendon, they're a terrifically run football club with a long rich history and we look forward to sharing the load speading the AFL gospel in critical expansion territory."

r0_136_5568_3403_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

"We have the utmost respect for Essendon, they're a terrifically run football club with a long rich history and we look forward to sharing the load speading the AFL gospel in critical expansion territory."

Terrifying.

This is what he said last year, right at the bottom of doing the good corporate citizen act on Good Friday.

“The momentum we’ve been trying to build over the last couple of years is coming through, and North and Essendon have got a great rivalry and a great history. I think all the ingredients are there.”

He was pretty piss poor in 2012 too:

With several North players from that era now on the Kangaroos' coaching panel, Scott said beating the Bombers still carried an extra edge.

"It is to us, I'm not sure about Essendon," he said.

"The club's always had a very healthy rivalry with Essendon, it stems back a long time.

"A lot of our coaches who played for North Melbourne against Essendon remember it fondly.

"It's a game that I think the supporters look forward to.

"It's added spice to an already hot round one clash."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Terrifying.

This is what he said last year, right at the bottom of doing the good corporate citizen act on Good Friday.

He was pretty piss poor in 2012 too:

Start lack of "we" eh?

In fairness he was probably hedging to keep dibs on a 2023 Director of Football gig at Tullamarine once his AFL house junket fizzled out.

Start lack of "we" eh?

In fairness he was probably hedging to keep dibs on a 2023 Director of Football gig at Tullamarine once his AFL house junket fizzled out.

That "I'm not sure about Essendon" line.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is Rhyce the best thing to happen to us in decades? Sometimes I cannot contain the feeling of hope he instills in me.

bloody hell I'm excited about the future.
Put it away, mate. I like Rhyce but he needs to have the side in better shape than he did in round 1 if I want to be excited about us in the short-term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back