Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:
i think it could be a fail, but i also say who cares

the club took a risk on a once in a generation talent, I'm glad they the balls
This wasn't some spud or someone who showed a glimpse

i think it could be a fail, but i also say who cares

the club took a risk on a once in a generation talent, I'm glad they the balls
This wasn't some spud or someone who showed a glimpse

I would agree with that if we were a dud team with nothing to lose.

But we'd just come off a flag and a preliminary final. We didn't need to make such a drastic move. All we needed was an alternative to a 32-year-old Adam Goodes on one leg.

But we'd just come off a flag and a preliminary final. We didn't need to make such a drastic move. All we needed was an alternative to a 32-year-old Adam Goodes on one leg.

imo tippett, then extending him and giving reid longer years were way worse than buddy

especially tippett and buddy at the same time

but they almost pulled it off in terms of flags on the flip side

even we don't agree with every move at least it was bold, just hawks winning 2 and us 0 stings

imo tippett, then extending him and giving reid longer years were way worse than buddy

especially tippett and buddy at the same time

but they almost pulled it off in terms of flags on the flip side

even we don't agree with every move at least it was bold, just hawks winning 2 and us 0 stings

Their forward line did seem a lot better once Buddy left...

But agree Tippett and Reid did not help. A few mistakes were made IMO.

Don't forget that another but probably marginal factor to signing Buddy was to prevent the brand new second Sydney team having the best and most marketable player in the state.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
He'll be right just in time for finals.

By then he should be able to lift his legs on to the table in front of him to relax back & watch them.

Needs to make sure it's a low table though so as not to re-injure the hamstring.:oops:

A Swans forward line without Sam Reid & Buddy Franklin will make us unpredictable yet exciting just the same.

We will be OK without them. Chins up fellow Swans.

Their forward line did seem a lot better once Buddy left...
A forward line with a pick 2, 12, 16 with a midfield that consists of a pick 1 and pick 7 in it is always going to look good.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't know why we are deciding if this deal was a failure now, there's 2 years left on his contract.
Just get him right, and he'll be great even if he can only be 60% of his former self.
The aim of the swans is to just get him playing some games, he can do the rest.
Its not fair to judge this contract before we see if he can play it out.

It can be easy to get forget that our 2013 team was thrashed by Hawthorn twice at the MCG and most of our premiership-winning stars were ageing. Goodes, O'Keefe, Bolton obviously + most of our defence was either late-20s or on the wrong side of 30 + our rucks Pyke and Mumford were starting to get on.

We had some holes in our team at the time that Buddy's individual brilliance covered for so if anything doing the Buddy deal at the time extended our premiership window for a couple years imo.

We couldn't convert it into premierships, that's life. I regret the outcome, but not the decision at the time.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Buddy's worth is not just member numbers, it's sponsors and what they handover because of what he means to the swans brand. The problem now his appeal to the swans brand is he is done, possibly. Be surprised if he plays again, but that was always the risk with the contract, which I never agreed with and thought at the time this could be a disaster for the club long term. With all the over s**t going on how the swans manage this will be interesting. Anyone thinking he'd see out the length of his contract was dreaming.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers

It's a fine line, you win any of 2014 or 2016 you're not having this discussion.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
That 13 was no where near it at the end

Flogged by Freo , by hawks and beating easy by the pies

The 2017 comeback was really the last hurrah if only we won one more game and finished top 4.

What if Franklin, Parker, Jack were playing and Reid didnt go down in the first quarter against Fremantle in 2015? we win and get a week off.

Seriously tho 2015-2017 so many what if's we had absolutely no luck at all we could of easily won another flag during that period.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
In a strange way I can accept 2014. We absolutely crapped ourselves, we were utterly terrible and your boys were excellent. However, 2016, that’s a completely different story.

Yer that 2014 Hawthorn side was unbeatable that day they just glided across the MCG i watched in awe of them really, 2016 was the one that will haunt the club forever we finished on top with 154% that should of been a flag.

Makes me think why chase Daniher with his history cmon lets be real he isnt coming here as a charity or some 500k player it will be a 4-5yr deal on 900k thats how we work.

Buddy’s wages are grossly overstated. At the time it was huge but now it’s pretty standard for a teams best player. Hell Polec is on nearly a mill a year
I am curious to know what percentage of cap space he is taking up now compared to what he would be if the cap hadn't increased

Troystenvic

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
On the outside it looks like a failure with no flags but looking a little deeper there have been other issues around the edges that have compounded our under achievement.

The trade ban really killed us and we are still paying for it. When you can only trade for two years with your arms tied behind your back it makes it impossible to add players around Buddy that would have made a big difference to our style and how Buddy was used. Fluck you Mike Fitzpatrick.

Constant Injury to other key players on the list that would have taken the pressure off Bud like Reid and Tippett didn't do him or the team any favours.

You can add that one of greatest players good booed out of the game when he had more to offer and again would have helped Bud and the team especially for 2016.

The other most contentious issues that we faced were the AFLs desire of a Bulldogs fairytale in 2016.
What other team has never got a free kick for half a game of footy in a GF. We were arguably bent over by the institution that day and our best player rolled an ankle 10 minutes in.

Grand Finals being played on the home deck of the opposition in their own state probably didn't help the cause either. Scum won their 3peat against interstate sides on their home ground Infront of their own fans and they had a fairly normal routine for GF week compared to a travelling interstate side. Play those games elsewhere and I'll bet my first born they don't win them all. Most overrated 3peat in the history of the game. (lots of other reasons I won't get into here) Has nothing on Brisbanes that's for sure.

As soon as Buddy come to the club the AFL and fat crunt Ed did their best to destroy what we were building and wanted this to fail. They put the mechanisms in place for us to fail and have enjoyed every second of it. We got reamed on COLA, Trade ban and probably other things I've forgotten about

It's not just looking at it from a Buddy centric point but looking at the big picture of what happened when he come to the club

As for dlick head Derm coming out today and saying Scum only expected Buds body to last to 2020 shows the hate he has for us and how hurt he is about the 2012 loss and how our brilliant list management at the time was far and beyond what other clubs could do. We really were astute and everyone hated us for it. I really hate that pr1ck.

I really hope Bud can get back up and give us another dozen special memories. Such a classy and brilliant player sad to see his body failing him at this point.

Glad to be back on the board after a break.

Last edited:
That 13 was no where near it at the end

Flogged by Freo , by hawks and beating easy by the pies
Was a year where we had too many injuries late, think we lost our last 5 or something after going through most of the season with only a couple of losses.

Back