Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a take on Buddy's effect on membership growth. He did take us from 36k members to 60k + in the time he's been with us so far. This was during a time when GWS and their masses of first-round draft picks were maturing and starting to play finals i.e. a significant growth phase for them. In 2019, GWS had 30k and we had 61k

Hypothetical I know, but given Bud always signalled an intention to play in Sydney, fair to say he'd have gone to the Giants had we turned him down. It's probably reasonable to infer that their growth in such a case would have significantly accelerated. How much of the growth can purely be put down to Buddy? We don't know. But what we do know is that at a time when GWS are making their first flag tilt, and performing better on-field than us in most recent years, we've maintained a very solid hold on the market. And that counts for something.

It's one each as far as I'm concerned.
We played them twice on their home ground in Grand Finals so they had all the advantage each time.

One each is definitely a positive the way I look at it.

Unfortunately that's the best interstate clubs can hope for. Snag one here and there like we did in 2012 or West Coast in 2018. Forget dynasties.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Regardless of whether it was reasonable or not, the Swans knew exactly what they were getting into with Buddy. If I remember correctly each member of the Board was made to sign a document stating that they understood that Buddy’s salary would be counted in the salary cap for the entire length of his contract regardless of whether he retired early - even if the reason was a career ending injury.

Having said that, Covid-19 is a different issue and if the AFL imposed across the board salary reductions I see no way they could exclude Buddy from that.

Something like that not imposed on any other club would be thrown out in court in a heartbeat as unconscionable conduct

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
Something like that not imposed on any other club would be thrown out in court in a heartbeat as unconscionable conduct

Yup.

If legally challenged with a pro rata shrinking of cap then it would be destroyed very, very quickly.

would be interesting if the swans do the deal if this was what you knew you get (presuming he is cooked

I fail to see how they could not know this was what they would get. He would've been 36 at the end of the deal at 200cm and 100kg having already been the most durable forward in the comp FFS

I fail to see how they could not know this was what they would get. He would've been 36 at the end of the deal at 200cm and 100kg having already been the most durable forward in the comp FFS

i meant no flags and players like mumford, mitchell etc leave for $

Back