Bluemour Melting Pot XXII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My optimism is strictly related to the caliber of players that we will be able to bring in due to those players walking away from a pay cut.

I am of the belief that players committed to their club and team will stay true pay cut or no pay cut. This makes me wary that those who walk or who are let go are not going to be of the quality required to become a key contributor in our long-term nucleus. This is simply because the vast majority of those who do walk will not be of the level whereby clubs would be moving heaven and earth to retain them. We're not looking at Patty Dangerfield going home to Geelong here. We're looking at players who are already or who will be overpaid commensurate to the value of their list.

My optimism based on the future predicted improvement of our current list remains high.

Note: This does not include Tom Papley given we were linked heavily to him last year and should be again this year.

The whole time I was reading your post, I was like, what about Tom. I very much agree that it will be an issue to work through, it has been widely reported that Wines was another who wanted out last year and the jungle drums were beating loudly before any of this Covid stuff kicked in, so the club hopefully will have a fair idea who the milkers are.

Is my math off a little, if we have to get to 35 and we currently have 46 as above and we want to bring in 2 mature players, then we have to cut 13, not 7.

I will really struggle if we have to cut that deep, although, I can imagine that if we cut to 35, there will be some sort of sup list to draw upon.

Also think a Supp list should/will be implemented, it makes sense for a number of reasons...

While I’d love to get Papley as he really fills a need, I just don’t like our chances of that becoming a reality.

Reason being that he’s contracted and most likely paid well under his market value. He came off the rookie list and signed a long term contract. This would have been in Sydney’s favour and wouldn’t have factored him being worth a top 10 draft pick.

It’s like the Gibbs situation. He had a front loaded contract so was getting unders in the last few years. Part of the reason we held off was because we didn’t feel we could replace his output at the salary we were contracted to pay him.

I see the Papley situation in a similar light and if the salary cap comes down it will only make Papley more valuable to Sydney.

Last edited:
While I’d love to get Papley as he really fills a need, I just don’t like our chances of that becoming a reality.

Reason being that he’s contracted and most likely paid well under his market value. He came off the rookie list and signed a long term contract. This would have been in Sydney’s favour and wouldn’t have factored him being worth a top 10 draft pick.

It’s like the Gibbs situation. He had a front loaded contract so was getting unders in the last few years. Part of the reason we held off was because we didn’t feel we could replace his output at the salary we were contracted to pay him.

I see the Papley situation in a similar light and if the salary cap comes down it will only make Papley more valuable to Sydney.

This is how i see it to. While they have to pay Buddy's huge back ended contract the next 2 years, i can't see them letting one of their top players go who is a contracted steal. What you lose on the swings, you have to make up for on the roundabouts.

You don’t think sacking our Director of Coaching Performance is a pretty big deal?

Was attempted humour, obviously not very good.
But to answer your question.
Director of coaching performance ...
If cuts have to be made, and they do, this sounds like a pretty fair place to start.
Whatever that position entails, perhaps the clubs football department manager can deal with it.
There has been far too many snouts in the trough in AFL football for years now.
Cutting the fat won’t be a bad thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was attempted humour, obviously not very good.
But to answer your question.
Director of coaching performance ...
If cuts have to be made, and they do, this sounds like a pretty fair place to start.
Whatever that position entails, perhaps the clubs football department manager can deal with it.
There has been far too many snouts in the trough in AFL football for years now.
Cutting the fat won’t be a bad thing.

Sorry for missing the joke!
I do agree with you - there are far too many unnecessary positions in footy and some do appear to be able to be absorbed into exisiting positions.
I guess I’m just shocked that Playfair is the one to go. I was so impressed that he and Power were brought in to the club. Both have excellent resumes and are highly regarded, so I didn’t think he’d be shown the door after less than a year.
All that said, if it were a choice between Playfair and Power I firmly believe we kept the correct one. Power’s ability to develop young talent is the attribute we need more than most. I did think that the appointment of Playfair was an acknowledgement that Teague needed some supervision as a rookie coach, so maybe the fact that he the one to go is a hint that the club feels Teague doesn’t need the “training wheels” on anymore.

Sorry for missing the joke!
I do agree with you - there are far too many unnecessary positions in footy and some do appear to be able to be absorbed into exisiting positions.
I guess I’m just shocked that Playfair is the one to go. I was so impressed that he and Power were brought in to the club. Both have excellent resumes and are highly regarded, so I didn’t think he’d be shown the door after less than a year.
All that said, if it were a choice between Playfair and Power I firmly believe we kept the correct one. Power’s ability to develop young talent is the attribute we need more than most. I did think that the appointment of Playfair was an acknowledgement that Teague needed some supervision as a rookie coach, so maybe the fact that he the one to go is a hint that the club feels Teague doesn’t need the “training wheels” on anymore.

Agreed.
Power has a huge role to play and will be worth his weight in gold if he can fully develop and bring the best out of our army of highly rated youngsters ...

Interesting point, i did think it was mentioned last year, that he was actually on a really good wage, i thought high $500s was mentioned but who knows.

What is in our favour and any club that goes after him, is that if he requests a trade again, the Swans will actively have to try and keep a player who clearly doesn't want to be there, they would have had 12 months to convince him to stay and failed. Its hard to know, how players would react again if a trade request was to happen.

I just don't see the Swans standing in the way again, it could be argued that they didn't have enough time to organise a replacement and all of that, those factors, don't really come in to it, if it happens again. His contract, however, will ensure that the Swans are well compensated.

Agreed.
Power has a huge role to play and will be worth his weight in gold if he can fully develop and bring the best out of our army of highly rated youngsters ...
Dermott on Fox Footy tonight couldn’t have pumped him up more, definitely will coach one day he said

Power representing our club is a very good thing for us, can see him playing a part in recruiting gun young players from other teams...

Interesting point, i did think it was mentioned last year, that he was actually on a really good wage, i thought high $500s was mentioned but who knows.

What is in our favour and any club that goes after him, is that if he requests a trade again, the Swans will actively have to try and keep a player who clearly doesn't want to be there, they would have had 12 months to convince him to stay and failed. Its hard to know, how players would react again if a trade request was to happen.

I just don't see the Swans standing in the way again, it could be argued that they didn't have enough time to organise a replacement and all of that, those factors, don't really come in to it, if it happens again. His contract, however, will ensure that the Swans are well compensated.
Yep. It'll all come down to the gravity effect of family and partner issues eventually. If these still exist, than Sydney has to let him go.

I don't know about post-SOS, but my impression was always Brodie was in charge of underage talent, Agresta was in charge of pro scouting (AFL and state leagues).

In fact, here is a post that I wrote after a trade radio interview with Agresta in September. Has some notes on team breakdown/responsibility.

That September post was a bewdy.

And something we're yet to land in recent history the gun late/rookie picks oh and premierships :p
Maybe we're on the right track of late.. JSOS was in the 50s (though a f/s, it's around where he was rated), Fisher was a little later, Gibbons was a rookie and Tomlinson was late a well - though for obvious reasons we haven't seen much of him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back