Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

That's what china does, polices their social media.

And thats what we should do as well. Not to the same extent (we want to filter out and block things like foreign State interference in domestic affairs) but its something that we should be doing.

The Yanks have an open internet, and they're on fire now as a result of years of Cyberwarfare by the Russians. Their whole society has been fractured, and a President has been voted in as a result of that interference.

No one argues we should have open borders. Im not entirely sure where the reasoning is that we should have an open internet either.

And thats what we should do as well. Not to the same extent (we want to filter out and block things like foreign State interference in domestic affairs) but its something that we should be doing.

The Yanks have an open internet, and they're on fire now as a result of years of Cyberwarfare by the Russians. Their whole society has been fractured, and a President has been voted in as a result of that interference.

No one argues we should have open borders. Im not entirely sure where the reasoning is that we should have an open internet either.

Yeah I dont think just shutting us off from content is any better than educating us about it. I'm going to be educating the hell out of my daughter before she goes on the internet. I'm going to trust her enough to not block her access but I will educate and monitor it.

If we were in the old days of 2 1/2 tv channels you could understand censorship.

With streaming there's the option to not watch something disturbing in their options, or not use the service at all.

But you suspect some seek out things to be offended by. Personally I rarely notice statues unless I'm touristing.
Society cant protect people from something disturbing to them if they go out to find it deliberately

If we were in the old days of 2 1/2 tv channels you could understand censorship.

With streaming there's the option to not watch something disturbing in their options, or not use the service at all.

But you suspect some seek out things to be offended by. Personally I rarely notice statues unless I'm touristing.
Society cant protect people from something disturbing to them if they go out to find it deliberately

Of course, and I'm not for removing statues unless they are removed by overwhelming community request. There are petitions running in several places with Confederate statues seeking a public forum about its removal. A democratic process. Better than what they are doing now which is taking our their anger and frustration on what they see as symbols people who wanted society how it was in the old days.

As far ad labeling things, I really dont see the harm in a 2-3 second long image before a show to let people know what the content is. I would love to assume everyone would just not be offended and that we wouldnt need labels. In a perfect world, nothing would have labels for things that we see and realise could be dangerous to us.

Yeah I dont think just shutting us off from content is any better than educating us about it. I'm going to be educating the hell out of my daughter before she goes on the internet. I'm going to trust her enough to not block her access but I will educate and monitor it.

Education isnt working in the USA mate.

The first thing the Russians did was encourage people away from 'MSM' and discredit science. Now people get 'facts' from the deepest corners of the internet where the Russian trolls spread their bullshit, and then regurgitate that same crap via social media turning it viral.

I agree that any firewall and internet regulation should be heavily scruitinised. But it cant remain the lawless shithole it is at present that free enables State (and non State) actors to spread the bullshit they are spreading, and have the kind of effects on society its having.

What you're seeing now is only the start. We have another election coming up soon in the USA. Can you imagine the sorts of *ery and cyberwarfare that is going to go down once that bad boy starts?

Education isnt working in the USA mate.

The first thing the Russians did was encourage people away from 'MSM' and discredit science. Now people get 'facts' from the deepest corners of the internet where the Russian trolls spread their bullshit, and then regurgitate that same crap via social media turning it viral.

I agree that any firewall and internet regulation should be heavily scruitinised. But it cant remain the lawless shithole it is at present that free enables State (and non State) actors to spread the bullshit they are spreading, and have the kind of effects on society its having.

What you're seeing now is only the start. We have another election coming up soon in the USA. Can you imagine the sorts of f***ery and cyberwarfare that is going to go down once that bad boy starts?

Mmm, Russia is a big issue, I agree. America created the perfect storm with Trump and Russias help. I dont think Russia helped Trump directly so to speak, but they certainly waged a disinformation war on American democracy and they'll do it again.

And yeah, their education system is horrendous, there's a good video about it, it's from 7 years ago from a movie but the stats are backed up:

We can go deeper

this is by far one of the dumbest things i have ever seen.

Are they seriously pulling this off shelves because it was the word colonial in it?

total lack of common sense - too many people out of a job have too much time on their hands it seems.

In my view (as controversial as this might sound), Australia should have a national firewall, and a legislative framework to deal with troll-bots, questionable internet content, and cyberwarfare and social influencing by State and non State actors.

Not sure you'll win many people over with that. I'd rather be misinformed by "troll-bots" and "questionable internet content" one hundred times over than be limited by censorship at the discretion of the Australian government.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure you'll win many people over with that. I'd rather be misinformed by "troll-bots" and "questionable internet content" one hundred times over than be limited by censorship at the discretion of the Australian government.

You're OK with society being fractured by foreign State actors? Youre OK with same actors obtaining your meta-data and using it against you? You're OK with those same actors using that influence to alter public policy in their favour? Or using that influence to swing an election and affect internal policies, or undermine State security?

Im not talking about limiting information. Im talking about stopping external entities who are deliberately seeking to do all of the above, from doing so.

Indeed, the left is well along eating itself now. Being perpetually offended on everyone else's behalf is great, until you're the one they're after.

Right on queue, the story of Josh Thomas making 'racist comments' has resurfaced again. He's about as woke snowflake as you can get but no amount of grovelling apologies will make this go away for him.

You're OK with society being fractured by foreign State actors? Youre OK with same actors obtaining your meta-data and using it against you? You're OK with those same actors using that influence to alter public policy in their favour? Or using that influence to swing an election and affect internal policies, or undermine State security?

Im not talking about limiting information. Im talking about stopping external entities who are deliberately seeking to do all of the above, from doing so.

How do you differentiate the two though? Is a news outlet receiving government funding a state actor? What if the editor is mates with the PM/president? Where the line is drawn and who draws it is one of those issues that has an easy answer in theory, but it far more complex in practice.

I don't like the government deciding what content I view, foreign state influenced or otherwise.

Right on queue, the story of Josh Thomas making 'racist comments' has resurfaced again. He's about as woke snowflake as you can get but no amount of grovelling apologies will make this go away for him.

Woke snowflake or attention seeker latching onto.the twitter cause of the week?

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Woke snowflake or attention seeker latching onto.the twitter cause of the week?

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why not both.gif? Did his new tweet grovelling apology prompt the story to resurface? You would think he would want to put the episode behind him but given that it was his 15 minutes of fame he might think it's the best way to regain some attention.

This is just absolute reaching.

There is progress to be made in areas, but not here. The big problem with reaching is that people turn off and assume the war must have already been won.
This sort of reaching runs the risk of turning people against the cause you're fighting.
It plays into the always offended snowflake stereotype.

How do you differentiate the two though? Is a news outlet receiving government funding a state actor? What if the editor is mates with the PM/president? Where the line is drawn and who draws it is one of those issues that has an easy answer in theory, but it far more complex in practice.

I don't like the government deciding what content I view, foreign state influenced or otherwise.

So you're opposed to censorship of images like child pr0n then?

Id rather our (accountable) government be the ones deciding what content we can view, rather than the Russians doing so.

So you're opposed to censorship of images like child pr0n then?

Id rather our (accountable) government be the ones deciding what content we can view, rather than the Russians doing so.

I'm all for people being punished for breaking Australian law. Accessing that type of content (child pr0n) is, and I don't think many countries would even allow you to legally host that.

But I feel like that wasn't the sort of content you were alluding to in your earlier post. Do you have any real world examples you can refer to?

Do they though?

From where Im sitting, it seems to be the exact opposite is true. I cant see a single nation at present where the liberals/ left are in power. In fact it seems to be the exact opposite. The people in power are the establishment of old White Guys, billionaires, religious fundamentalists and Eaton toffs, many of whom actively pander to a revitalised white nationalist conservative far right wing base.

Utter tosh. Look at Boris' pathetic pandering the to antifa / ER thugs and his efforts re BLM (police did nothing and now Boris calling some absurd enquiry).

Im not sure if you noticed, but its wall to wall nationalist, right wing and conservative governments out there. There has never been a more dire threat to liberalism since WW2.

"liberalism". lol

Media (the one force keeping the bastards honest) is being actively undermined by those same forces.

lol, the ABC, BBC, CNN, etc etc are constantly spewing out anti conservative propaganda.

And its not just politically either. Social media is dominated by conservative thought (and the agitators behind them).

You are unhinged. Twitter and Facebook are ultra woke.

Corporations are pissing money into discrediting or obfuscating climate change in the same way tobacco companies did with their products and cancer, or the NRA does with guns.

Climate change. Yeah sure the so called science with even more ludicrous forecast models than coronavirus.

The game is up, the whole BS worst case armageddon scare mongering game is about to exposed by mass unnecessary unemploymemnt. Good luck to Saint Greta thinking people will want to repeat that again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back