Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

An interesting flip on the cancel culture phenomenon in the last 24 hours:

A cricket fan who was well known for uploading cricket footage videos for everyone to view had a cease and desist and an order to remove his content. After significant social media backlash Cricket Australia stepped in to apologize and fix the situation.

Right on queue, the story of Josh Thomas making 'racist comments' has resurfaced again. He's about as woke snowflake as you can get but no amount of grovelling apologies will make this go away for him.

Yep, it'll keep happening more and more. No one is perfect, yet the push for wokeness means having to pretend you're up with the latest woke trends, and have always been on board with those woke trends, or must apologise and feel guilt about not having been on board with those woke trends before.

Instead of accepting that humans will always make mistakes, and the best we can do is generally try not to be assholes and learn from our mistakes, we expect perfection.

Social media is toxic.

One of my favourite shows. The whole point of the blackface in that episode was to poke fun people who are ignorant of blackface!

What the actual fu**? What's next Tropic Thunder?

Way to ignore context.

Which is precisely what you were arguing against Sweet Jesus about - he said “where does it stop?”

Looks like even you found a point in cancel culture where you can ask the same question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're OK with society being fractured by foreign State actors? Youre OK with same actors obtaining your meta-data and using it against you? You're OK with those same actors using that influence to alter public policy in their favour? Or using that influence to swing an election and affect internal policies, or undermine State security?

Im not talking about limiting information. Im talking about stopping external entities who are deliberately seeking to do all of the above, from doing so.

I’m not sure if you had a positive view on the COVIDSafe app but a lot of people complained because it takes away their liberal freedoms. Using a Chinese communist style firewall to control people’s content in accordance with the then incumbent political party’s agenda is so so dangerous I cannot believe that this will be an option ever.

I hadnt heard of them but now think I should go looking.

Viral marketing?

Exactly, the irony is that to a degree there is a little bit of taboo in all humans. A lot of people want to go against “the grain” for some excitement.

A special irony of being overzealous in your cause is that the people you want to persuade them believe that doing the opposite of the zealot is actually exciting and taboo.

Yep, it'll keep happening more and more. No one is perfect, yet the push for wokeness means having to pretend you're up with the latest woke trends, and have always been on board with those woke trends, or must apologise and feel guilt about not having been on board with those woke trends before.

Instead of accepting that humans will always make mistakes, and the best we can do is generally try not to be assholes and learn from our mistakes, we expect perfection.

Social media is toxic.

Benedict Cumberbatch is pretty woke too. But he commited the crime of referring to 'coloured actors' when apparently the current approved phrase is 'actors of colour'. The more woke you are the more grovelling the apology needs to be.

I’m devastated to have caused offence by using this outmoded terminology. I offer my sincere apologies. I make no excuse for my being an idiot and know the damage is done.​

Also, despite him being the one to make the matter public knowledge, someone had a crack at him because one of his ancestors from five generations ago was a slave owner.

Benedict Cumberbatch is pretty woke too. But he commited the crime of referring to 'coloured actors' when apparently the current approved phrase is 'actors of colour'. The more woke you are the more grovelling the apology needs to be.

I’m devastated to have caused offence by using this outmoded terminology. I offer my sincere apologies. I make no excuse for my being an idiot and know the damage is done.​

Also, despite him being the one to make the matter public knowledge, someone had a crack at him because one of his ancestors from five generations ago was a slave owner.

Yep, all of those virtue signallers on social media that were going on endlessly about staying at home, are now on to BLM, where apparently staying home now has an exclusion clause. I'm sure every one of them has skeletons in their closet that they've completely forgotten about whilst dictating to others what they should be doing.

Yep, all of those virtue signallers on social media that were going on endlessly about staying at home, are now on to BLM, where apparently staying home now has an exclusion clause. I'm sure every one of them has skeletons in their closet that they've completely forgotten about whilst dictating to others what they should be doing.

So are you still staying at home yourself? Or a business as usual person?

Because you can't have it both ways. It seems you are trying to dictate what others do.

I remember as a young kid, I didn't understand racism, but I knew some comic books were pretty wrong "somehow"

Especially the ones with actual 'war heros'

Yet the films are the most popular ones going at the moment.

Look at another way, Boomer types, you are being triggered by Millenial types as a bit of fun while they are waiting for their favourite comic book hero filmathon to start.

O look I just introduced inter generation wars in too

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can go deeper

Deeper still...

Lidia out here reminding us that even with everything going on in the world that she's still here and not to forget about her.

With Tokyo being cancelled(*snort), and net life looming larger than ever before, it's shaping up as one helluva Woke Olympics this year.

The competition will be fierce. Records are going to tumble!

So are you still staying at home yourself? Or a business as usual person?

I've worked through, with some modifications. Essential industry. Otherwise limited personal interactions to friends and family roughly within the restrictions, and the exercise I do was pretty much unchanged albeit some modifications.

Is that a sufficient answer for you?

Because you can't have it both ways. It seems you are trying to dictate what others do.

That's exactly what I'm saying about the virtue signallers; they're saying "Stay Home, Save Lives" whilst simultaneously urging everyone to go protest, but also stay home. As though there's a virus exclusion clause for BLM protests.

If you truly believe that everyone should be staying home, then find a way to support BLM without mass gatherings, if you think a protest is fine, then stop with the stay home virtue signalling. You can't have it both ways.

That's exactly what I'm saying about the virtue signallers; they're saying "Stay Home, Save Lives" whilst simultaneously urging everyone to go protest, but also stay home. As though there's a virus exclusion clause for BLM protests.

If you truly believe that everyone should be staying home, then find a way to support BLM without mass gatherings, if you think a protest is fine, then stop with the stay home virtue signalling. You can't have it both ways.

A lot of these states were opened far to early, so technically they had government approval to return to a mostly normal state although I think they might have had caps on the number of people who can gather?

I do agree though that protesting before either lockdowns were lifted or if there was community spread was never going to be a great idea. I wonder if the people who organised or encouraged the protests initially didnt want to squander the momentum Floyds videoed death promised to catalyst. If they waited another month or two his death would have been lost to the usual media sea.

You'd also hope the same people who were arguing for the right for people to protest the lockdown itself were not part of the crowd condemning people protesting for police reforms. That would be...ironic.

Right on queue, the story of Josh Thomas making 'racist comments' has resurfaced again. He's about as woke snowflake as you can get but no amount of grovelling apologies will make this go away for him.

I must have missed all this. What is offensive about it? I see him trying to get an idea across a bit badly.

I've worked through, with some modifications. Essential industry. Otherwise limited personal interactions to friends and family roughly within the restrictions, and the exercise I do was pretty much unchanged albeit some modifications.

Is that a sufficient answer for you?

Now 10 days at least since so with no huge spike from BLM protests, are we all OK?

Now 10 days at least since so with no huge spike from BLM protests, are we all OK?

No idea, I was never one getting riled up about the protest occurring, more the hypocrisy of many of the same people I know that were posting flat out on social media about Stay Home, then suddenly going all-in on the BLM protests.

I must have missed all this. What is offensive about it? I see him trying to get an idea across a bit badly.

He got brought up on one of his Twitter posts, a few people brought it up in regards to one of his comments so he addressed it and...his Twitter feed has blown up since.

I understand this was his original Tweet that sparked it off:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back