2020 Scratch Matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

The game was pretty good, even though St Kilda got a couple late goals in the end. But I feel we're a younger team, and the boys might have been a bit exhausted by the end. But still, plenty to like.

My stand out would have to be Will Kelly -- Probably his best game I have seen him play. He was clunking contested marks. Adding two goals onto his tally. Definitely improving all the time. Will be a star in the years to come. Will be our new Key Forward.

Cox, had a quiet first half. Maybe 2 touches. Then got better in the 2nd half, taking a couple marks and kicking a goal or two.

Treloar. great game by him, first game back. Looked like he hadn't missed a beat. Will play in the seniors next week.

Appleby, surprised they played him forward. But I didn't mind it. He knows how to kick a goal.

I thought the backline went pretty well. Dunn was solid. Also good signs by Murphy, Shaz and IQ.

Varcoe
had a wonderful game. Really looks at home at half back, especially with his ability to pressure the opposition.

Josh Thomas looked lively with two goals to his name.

Broomy looked good with kicking two majors as well.

Rantall showed signed from the midfield. Poor Ruscoe copped a knock and was down on the field. Walked with a trainer off the ground, and didn't come back out. Hopefully he is okay.

Sier was also pretty good in the contest, even though he had a few errors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oops. Forgot to mention.

Tom Wilson. Played on the wing, very very strong game from Tommy. Getting more and more of the ball as he plays. Takes strong marks. Definitely one to watch going forward.

I really wanted us to develop him as a forward. Does he show any forward traits or instincts Jen?

Love that report on Will Kelly too!

Thanks for the report Jen!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really wanted us to develop him as a forward. Does he show any forward traits or instincts Jen?

Love that report on Will Kelly too!

Thanks for the report Jen!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He can definitely has some traits. Seems they are exploring both options. On the wing and forward.

I think Jen covered it pretty well. I only watched the last 2.5 quarters of what turned out to be a narrow loss.

Treloar - his explosiveness away from the clearance was a highlight and made him stand out. Hope we can welcome him back next week

Sier - I thought he was our next best mid. Did some nice clearance work and kicked a nice goal. More positive signs

Murphy - I am a fan. Some of his kicking into the breeze was superb, spotting up targets in the middle that became really attacking plays instead of the usual kick across the back line. Also a lovely weighted kick in to Cox. Always courageous and a good intercept mark

Will Kelly - did keep presenting and took some nice grabs. Kicking still a bit loose, but he showed some really positive signs and landed 2 goals. Some of the kicking into the forward line made life as a marking forward pretty challenging. Is 6 foot 6, in the old, so had grown to a nice size for height and has put on some size/bulk over the Covid period. Carried a hip niggle into the game but didn't seem to be hampered by it. Will take confidence from that performance, turning it on for his Mum and Dad who were watching on the sidelines

Thomas - did a couple of nice things and finished with 2, but not enough to force his way back in given Stephenson's performance upon return

Varcoe - does provide a back up option for Noble in the senior team with run off half back. I'd play him ahead of IQ at present

IQ - shows some dash and is a stronger option than Noble in the contest, but his kicking let him down yesterday

Broomhead - I know that others think he is best as a midfielder, and he roved much of the day, but he'll never make it at AFL level in that capacity. One roving, snap goal showed where he could add some value in our senior team though in place of a Josh Thomas or Callum Brown as a small forward

Rantall - kept running the game out, but didn't get a lot of the ball

Cox - showed why he is dangerous up forward with a couple of nice marks from some nicely weighted kicks in to 50 from Appleby and Murphy at each end. Kicking still unreliable, but offers more as a marking forward than Darcy Cameron for mine and would worry opposition defences more. I'd bring him back this week.

Scharenberg - solid but rarely spectacular. Neat by foot, but less attacking than Murphy and would sit behind him in the pecking order

Keane - usual aggressive self with his defensive work

Atu - doesnt impact the contest enough. Always hard being a small forward to impact games, but he rarely does at any level

Lynch - toiled hard as an undersized ruck

Wilson - is pretty neat by foot usually on both sides. Rangy winger type in the Hoskin-Elliott mould

Ruscoe - received a fend off to the face and likely a poke in the eye in the process. Had fumbled the ball to that point, so it was tough to then receive that sore eye and have the opponent kick the goal

Appleby - did a couple of nice things as a pressure forward. We have lots of half backs, so it is nice to try something different

Dunn - nice to see him back. Doesn't do a lot wrong and is hard to shift in a contest. Vocal in his presence. Also delivers well by foot, including kick outs. I think he'd be a better option in the senior team than Madgen, albeit I concede he wouldn't be match fit enough to return this week against the tall forward line of the Giants.

Last edited:
If Kelly came on strong would he be competing with Mihocek for a position at the moment? I'm assuming he isn't the forward w/ ruck relief ala Cox and Cameron.

Be as a 3rd tall at this stage of his development you’d reckon. At least until he builds the physique.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back