Game Day AFL Round 4 - Matchday Discussion Collingwood@GWS(GIANTS Stadium - 7:50PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s time for a rematch between last year’s preliminary finalists, and we’re in for what should be a high quality matchup. The Giants will be hungry for a win, with the team losing it’s past two games against sides that will most likely be at the bottom of the ladder by the end of the season. On the other hand, Collingwood are flying, after easily handling an inexperienced Saints side.

These two sides last met in that famous 2019 preliminary final. Collingwood came into the game as unbackable favorites, but were caught asleep at the wheel, falling behind by five goals in the last quarter, and a last minute comeback wasn’t enough to win them the game.

Collingwood

Collingwood got back on the winners list last week, dismantling the Saints in emphatic fashion. The Magpies suffocated the Saints when they tried to rebound the ball out of their defensive-50, they were stifled by the Collingwood backline, and their defensive midfield. Sidebottom and Grundy were simply outstanding. Maynard was also excellent in his 100th game.

Where the Magpies can win the game

Once again, Collingwood’s defense stood up again against the Saints. The Magpies were able to keep that potent Saints forward line to only five goals. This simply needs to continue if the Magpies are to win against this quality Giants forward line. Casting a thought back to last year’s preliminary final, Brodie Grundy simply dominated the ruck contests. In pretty much every contest, he won the tap. However, the Giants won it out of the middle with ease. If both Grundy and the midfielders are able to work more in sync, the Magpies will win this game. It’s as simple as that.

Player to watch

Mason Cox is the man to watch this week. For the first two rounds of the restarted season, Cox was forced to sit on the sidelines, being listed as an emergency in both games. However, he has been given a shot to prove his worth, with Cameron being dropped. Cox needs to show that he can not only impact the contest, but also be able to impact the scoreboard, as last season he was too often going missing. The Magpies need that scoring power, and Cox could be the man to bring it.

GWS

It seems to happen every season, but the Giants are once again not living up to their potential. Despite having an excellent list to choose from, they continue to struggle, and are coming off two consecutive losses. Something needs to change. Thankfully, the Giants are welcoming back some very handy inclusions, with Mumford, Kelly, and Green coming back into the side. The Giants are really struggling to hit the scoreboard in this season, with the team kicking only four goals last week. Their inside 50’s are really quite poor, with the Giants failing to record a substantial amount of disposals inside 50, meaning they can’t generate effective scoring opportunities.

Where the Giants can win the game

The Giants need to focus on two areas, ruck contests, and work inside forward 50. As mentioned previously, the Giants were able to win the preliminary final last year through their work around the ruck contest, and that form has continued into this season. The Giants generate clearances from 88% of center bounces, the best in the AFL. Even if Grundy does dominate, which is likely, if they can work it out of the contest, they will be able to gain that important territory. For the Giants to win, they will also need to work on their disposal inside 50. As mentioned previously, the Giants struggled badly last week generating meaningful disposals inside 50, opting to bomb the ball in long, and it cost them dearly. The Giants will need to be a little more patient, and a little more daring if they are to win.

Player to watch

Toby Green is the man to watch. Green missed out on last year’s preliminary final, after being suspended in controversial fashion. The superstar has been inconsistent to start the season, and will be looking to build into some solid form. However, he’ll be coming up against Brayden Maynard, who has proven to be an effective opponent against Green. This will perhaps mean that Green will have a stint in the midfield to shake that tag.

Head to Head odds

Collingwood: $1.90
Giants: $1.90

Changes

Giants

IN

Josh Kelly
Shane Mumford
Toby Greene
Tom Green

OUT

Daniel Lloyd (Omitted)
Jye Caldwell (Omitted)
Sam Jacobs (Omitted)
Zac Langdon (Omitted)

Collingwood

IN

Mason Cox

OUT

Darcy Cameron (Omitted)

TV

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free

Live on Channel Seven, National

Radio

Triple M
3AW
ABC
SEN

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
WatchAFL
Kayo Sports

Tip

Tipping has been tough this season. Collingwood have also struggled against the Giants in recent matchups. However, the Magpies are in better form, and should do enough to grind out a decent win.

Magpies by 15.

The Giants should’ve been called the Turkey Basters

They’re an artificial club, inseminated by the AFL for broadcast lucre

It’s been expensive - each of GWS’ 3 goals in the grannie cost about $50 million

Nonetheless, am trying to be more generous in my posts. So here are 3 things I like about GWS:
* Cat Empire wrote a good club song
* You can buy Choc Tops at their Toy Ground
* Heater smothering Nick Riewoldt in 2010

We'll win because our Defence is smoother than a Double Bay gigolo

Adams will run through Spanker Greene

And Grundy will dominate Mummy (whose last good bump was chopped on a mirror)

A seminal game for GWS

Collingwood by 64 points

Last edited:

Hard to see us lose this one, our boys would have been stewing over the prelim all offseason, preseason and then the COVID iso period. Listening to Jeremy Howe, I don’t think we’ll ever attack a game complacent again.

quality opposition but I expect we have more to play for! Go Pies

Very tough game this one. Just don't know which GWS will turn up. We know they're a very talented side and they're only Taranto and arguably Sam Reid off their best team. If the wraps on Tom Green are even close, his inclusion only adds to that. Combine that with their loss to the Doggies and I think they'll be fired up. Not confident at all.

Very tough game this one. Just don't know which GWS will turn up. We know they're a very talented side and they're only Taranto and arguably Sam Reid off their best team. If the wraps on Tom Green are even close, his inclusion only adds to that. Combine that with their loss to the Doggies and I think they'll be fired up. Not confident at all.

Agree, but they’ve been playing poorly, have lost three of their last four games (including the GF) and have very low scores from the three losing games. Which plays to our strength.

The faux ‘tough guy‘ approach to the Dogs game also misfired badly, which tells me their thinking and planning for that game was way off.

Saying all that, tonight might be the night when it all comes together. We’ll know soon enough.

I don't have a Good Feeling about Tonight. I tipped GWS by 10 Pts.

Hope we have Learned from our Mistakes from the Prelim. Like don't wait to the last Qtr to start Playing

I don't have a Good Feeling about Tonight. I tipped GWS by 10 Pts.

Hope we have Learned from our Mistakes from the Prelim. Like don't wait to the last Qtr to start Playing
I don't think you picked the pies in any game this year, have faith mate, we will win tonight and we will the flag this year year

I don't think you picked the pies in any game this year, have faith mate, we will win tonight and we will the flag this year year

I tipped us the last 2 weeks in my Tipping Comps

Just blow the whistle if someone shoves Grundy in the back and out of the ruck contest, and kicks a goal. Not too much to ask.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not a fan of Kane Cornes, but I kind of agree with him that bringing in Cox is a mistake. I think we play better without him and have been playing well thus far. He offers no forward pressure at all and has proved he is not a reliable forward. Hope I’m proved wrong.

I’m not a fan of Kane Cornes, but I kind of agree with him that bringing in Cox is a mistake. I think we play better without him and have been playing well thus far. He offers no forward pressure at all and has proved he is not a reliable forward. Hope I’m proved wrong.
Cox is important to our structure and offers 1-2 goals per game

Oh my. I forgot about that, but the vision has come back into my head so clearly!
I won’t bring up the bizarre free kick against Grundy, which no living man has been able to explain to me, and which cost us the 2018 flag then.

* these umpires!

I find that when he plays poorly and we lose, I think he offers no forward pressure and is unreliable as a forward. When he plays well, or when he misses through injury and we contemplate bringing him back in, he is the linchpin of our structure that we've "unleashed" and who "looks different" (thanks Bruce).

I reckon he'll go okay tonight.

If you look up the phrase 'superficial analyst' it has Cornes' picture.

If you look up the phrase 'superficial analyst' it has Cornes' picture.

If you look up the phrase for "headline seeker who's already worked out that anything about Collingwood guarantees him said status" then that's Kane Cornes. Sorry Kane, the "cheeky stirrer role" in the media was taken years ago by Lou Richards....you're a sorry 315th at this stage behind the great man! I'd suggest a funny wig and maybe you could pass in the Caro role? (or is that not PC?)

Two of the Betting Agencies are offering Specials for Pendles to rack up possessions.It would appear they may be assuming he will be De Boer's hard tag.
Will be interesting as to who has De Boer as their shadow.Toss a coin Leon as Sidey, Pendles and Taylor are all prime targets.

Going to be a tough one up on their dungheap, who knows what the Giants will dish up, there are a few variables there.

Interesting move with Mummy coming back, obviously for the physical presence. Hopefully Brodes torches him in every other aspect and it's clear the big Sausage is cooked

Pies by 14, in a tight tussle

Two of the Betting Agencies are offering Specials for Pendles to rack up possessions.It would appear they may be assuming he will be De Boer's hard tag.
Will be interesting as to who has De Boer as their shadow.Toss a coin Leon as Sidey, Pendles and Taylor are all prime targets.
I think Sidebottom may be shaking hands with De Boer prior to the first bounce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back