Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok it's time to upset a few people with a hypothetical based on the weekends game, is Patrick Lipinski a better linked option than
Josh Dunkley and did people notice his absence on the weekend. By linked option i mean able to do the Josh Dunkley role, but
offer a little more variety when in transition. This is not putting the boots in, just asking the question of what could we expect
in return. The elevation of Bailey Smith is what is prompting this line of thinking, but it is just as reasonable to say you can never
have enough quality in the midfield area. The whole does excess stymie development argument is in vogue around the competition
at the moment, without people even realizing they are watching it play out in front of their eyes.

Ok it's time to upset a few people with a hypothetical based on the weekends game, is Patrick Lipinski a better linked option than
Josh Dunkley and did people notice his absence on the weekend. By linked option i mean able to do the Josh Dunkley role, but
offer a little more variety when in transition. This is not putting the boots in, just asking the question of what could we expect
in return. The elevation of Bailey Smith is what is prompting this line of thinking, but it is just as reasonable to say you can never
have enough quality in the midfield area. The whole does excess stymie development argument is in vogue around the competition
at the moment, without people even realizing they are watching it play out in front of their eyes.

Don’t be shy Jimbo. It’s an interesting discussion point.

The balance of our on ball brigade is off when it’s Macrae, Bonti and Dunkley. Although it’s easy to forget it tore through the competition in that stretch run last year.

I’m cool for Bonti to spend more time forward with Smith’s emergence.

Dunkley is a strong marking target as well and can play forward.

Probably means someone like Wallis or Lloyd misses out, with their minutes soaked up by Dunkley/bonti in the forward 50.

Either way, Lipinski is a must with his quality ball use.

We have five top tier on-ballers, which is a good predicament to have. I hope Libba can keep playing consistently and his body holds up. Smith, Dunks, Bont, and Macrae are all great and finding good places for the five of them is an interesting puzzle.

Metres Gained (Ladder Format):

Rank 1: Port Adelaide 20,330
Rank 2: Brisbane 19,582
Rank 3: Hawthorn 19,493
Rank 4: Carlton 19,463
Rank 5: Richmond 19,005
Rank 6: Gold Coast 18,927
Rank 7: West Coast 18,532
Rank 8: Geelong 18,331

Rank 9: North Melbourne 17,893
Rank 10: Sydney 17,684
Rank 11: Fremantle 17,483
Rank 12: Adelaide 17,397
Rank 13: St Kilda 17,340
Rank 14: GWS Giants 17,324
Rank 15: Collingwood 17,288
Rank 16: Western Bulldogs 16,235

Essendon- NQC (Not Quite Complete)
Melbourne- NQC (Not Quite Complete)

I am doing spirit animals for each team, ours is the Boa Constrictor a big snake that crushes their opposition slowly.

Dunkley is a competitive midfielder than Lipinski and works harder both ways too. After the game against saints I wasn't surprised by Lipinski being omitted. He was 1 of the players that just didn't do much defensively in the middle. In fact I dont think he had a tackle for the game. He has only 3 tackles in 2020. His ball use is his only good thing at the moment.

Be

I am doing spirit animals for each team, ours is the Boa Constrictor a big snake that crushes their opposition slowly.
Interested to see our metres gained in our first two matches vs our next.
That said we are a team like likes to trap the ball in our forward half which would affect things

Be

That said we are a team like likes to trap the ball in our forward half which would affect things
Exactly. As a measure of player performance it's a good indicator but as a measure of team performance it isn't. If you don't have to retrieve it from your back half all that much you won't need to gain metres.

Do you have a metres conceded ladder?

Dunks is apples for apples with Mitch Wallis. And/or Libber.

Lipi is a linking player, perhaps more like Macrae, and maybe subject to the same 'we all get our own ball and we all defend' lessons as early macrae?

Dunkley is a competitive midfielder than Lipinski and works harder both ways too. After the game against saints I wasn't surprised by Lipinski being omitted. He was 1 of the players that just didn't do much defensively in the middle. In fact I dont think he had a tackle for the game. He has only 3 tackles in 2020. His ball use is his only good thing at the moment.
They have different roles to play. So I don't mind Lipinski in the side but right now Dunkley is much the better footballer.

Be

It is posted on the AFL non bulldogs footy thread and it is stark and graphic. So sorry it's "Changes versus North page 5"

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hypothetical: Josh Dunkley 4 Tom Papley, any takers or just lots of haters.

Win, win, Kennedy replacement for them, X-Factor goal kicking forward/mid for us.
Id do it. Dunkly is a good over head mark and a fantastic inside mid but doesn't offer much else. Terrible infront of goal not great disposal

Win, win, Kennedy replacement for them, X-Factor goal kicking forward/mid for us.

Josh would not be keen on going especially after the Swans gave him a huge cross come father son rule.

Bon'ts best mate? No thanks, even if Papley is a greater need for us.

I'm not incredibly against the idea of Dunks or Macrae being on the trading table for someone of greater need, but Dunks to Sydney probably wouldn't work because of the father/son thing.

Dunkley is a strong marking target as well and can play forward.
On paper he can but his history says that in practice he actually can't. His stints in the forward line are consistently underwhelming and problematic and it wasn't until he upped the proportion of his games spent in the midfield that he proved he was AFL standard

Josh would not be keen on going especially after the Swans gave him a huge cross come father son rule.
Actually Josh wanted to stay in Victoria and Sydney said if a Victorian team bid on him they would not match the bid. I did his games
in the VFL for Richmond, low disposal, but his movement and patterns were ok at half forward, nothing special though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back