Preview Round 5, 2020: GWS Giants v Hawthorn, 5 July 2020, 6.10pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee some people want some strange inclusions, for example Morris, no hope.
Almost certain Puopolo will come in for Breust.
Patton if fit will come in for Lewis. Lewis is unlucky because he needs more game time in the AFL.
I would like to see Jones come in for Hanrahan, but that would be 3 changes and Clarko not often makes 3 changes. Also Clarkson may have a soft spot for Hanrahan. I think it may have been last year or the year before I recall a video of Clarko and a couple of other players being in the clubs vehicle while Hanrahan was driving on his P plates.
Gunston is doing his job, he is a Mr fixit man and is moved around quite a lot, he shouldn't be judged on the number of goals he kicks.

I'm happy to give him more time. Has made a couple of mistakes, but he's a lively type and not far off it. Was very good against Brisbane.

A small forward that's not tackling (4 for the year) nor kicking goals (2 for the year) needs to make way for someone else. It's just tough that there's no VFL for him to find form in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Breusts injury saves Hanrahan I would think.
Hanrahan deserves to be shitcanned IMO. He’s just not ready. He’s got potential but feeding him games when he’s not pulling his weight sends a bad message to players on in the best 22 and also those on the cusp.

If Nash comes into the team for Bruest, and/or Ross for Hanrahan, then it will be the Team of Giants playing the Giants at Giants Stadium.

I wanted moore to get a crack but with Breust injury I'm not sure we will make two changes to the front half but what I'd like to see, Moore can gives us that extra run we seem to be lacking late in games.

In: Poppy, Moore
Out: Breust, Hanrahan

The Champion Data Player Ratings would dsagree with your assessment, as they've got him as the 6th highest rated Key Forward of the season.

I don't think he's out of form either, reckon he's probably 1 or 2 of his marks taken away from being second or third. Stick with him for now.

View attachment 902370
Toot Toot!
The Timmy train will run all year.

Im calling it now... Will not get dropped this year and will win the MOTY.

Lewis - Patton
Ollie - Jones
Breust - Nash

Patto will love going up against his mates. Lewis is still a bit under done.
Ollie is just ordinary. May develop but Jones has the numbers and we need another midfield rotation IMO.
Breust... *... No to Poppy, Morrison and Minch at this stage. We are not running out games and need speed up forward. Nash will kill it as the 4 tall/small forward.

Wingard TOB Gunston

Nash Patton Burgoyne

If Morris is up for it, Is love to see a left field, goal kicker debut. Even Finn but Harry has the inside lane here.
All at the expense of Nash as noted above

Not sure Hanrahan will get dropped without Breust, one more chance. I don't like the idea of bringing Poppy straight back, him and Hanrahan don't offer much goalscoring ability or midfield rotations together.

I Would rather see Gunston/Silk play Breust role, bring in a young fella with zip & dare who deserves a crack. Jones,Finn,Walker

If Nash comes into the team for Bruest, and/or Ross for Hanrahan, then it will be the Team of Giants playing the Giants at Giants Stadium.
I would do a Terry Wallace if Nash came in for Punky.

Replacing one of our most reliable kicks for goal with a guy who is up there with Stratton and Will Langford as the worst set shot kicks for goal in Hawthorns history.

Do not get me wrong I think Nash has some great qualities and at the right time he could get a game just not when we lose a sharpshooter and replace him with a guy who could not hit the side of an oversized barn door.

I love Bruest, but honestly, he has barely had any impact in us winning games since 2018. He's not in our best 10 players, which is frustrating. That said, Giants backs are really vulnerable to small forwards as Shaw, Whitfield and Williams are ball hunters.

As probably every supporter of every club has said, we should have got Butler. Damn.

A big match against the Giants, you just know Clarko is going to go back to Poppy. I've said we need to stick with Hanrahan, but gee, it's hard to watch. Obviously that insanely bad kick into the 50, no tackling, but did it go unnoticed in the last minute he coughed up a handball that sent North inside 50?

Imagine if Clarko was bold and picked Morris...

Couldn't get past the first line. Poor attempt at trolling. Pathetic.

Last edited:
Lewis needs to stay in the team. He will get better with more continuity.

I agree. Liked his effort. Makes thing happen just when he's near the ball.

Patton, you'd expect, would come back in against his old side. If fit. Is there room for two of them? Maybe you rest Big Boy and bring in two smalls for Breust and Hanrahan.

Sorry Hanrahan, time to go find some form.

Hawthorn has never allowed players to wear the brown and gold jumper lightly ..... we have recently taken this tough, proud stance towards some legends of the club and historically you have to impress and earn your spot in the two’s before you get a gig.

Hanrahan needs to get dropped. He applies little physically pressure, does not display above average skills, some of the errors he makes when he isn’t under pressure are comical. He doesn’t play a role and just isn’t up to it at this stage of his career and the seniors isn’t the spot for him to learn.

Don’t buy it him staying just because Breust is injured ..... if anything he will get found out even more!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back