Mega Thread 2020 Off-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guarantee if we play North this forum will be up in arms about us recruiting and playing "list cloggers" in the same way it whinges when we play guys in the same age group who show more like Crowden and Banfield.
I agree on North - having seen a fair bit of him at Peel I don't think he will make it, he's slow and is one-sided - sort of like a poor man's Nick Suban. But... he at least deserves the chance to prove himself; it would be sad if he doesn't at least get a run at the top level. This season is the time for experimenting, and he is a more mature body, so might just prove to be solid depth.

If you're mature age , drafted from Victoria and with average skills there seems to be a spot waiting.
Do they deserve a spot?
Why keep players on the list for 3 years and not even try them in a pre season scratch match?
Maybe it suggests something about the younger players if a C grade mature player offers more to the team for the game than they would.

I agree on North - having seen a fair bit of him at Peel I don't think he will make it, he's slow and is one-sided - sort of like a poor man's Nick Suban. But... he at least deserves the chance to prove himself; it would be sad if he doesn't at least get a run at the top level. This season is the time for experimenting, and he is a more mature body, so might just prove to be solid depth.

You say that about North but I,'ve watched him put a blinder in against Subiaco . He showed fantastic potential but then suffered an injury,

If you're mature age , drafted from Victoria and with average skills there seems to be a spot waiting.

Assuming this is about Bewley and Schultz:

1. Schultz had an impressive preseason, particurarly in the Marsh Series. Bewley was also attracting a lot of internal praise for his work ethic and the like (https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/547664/fyfe-impressed-by-bewley-s-approach), and benefited from little competition for a wing spot.
2. We would have drafted those players in the hope they could have a fast impact filling a need. As younger players come through they'd knock off Bewley and Schultz if they're good enough, but some of the guys you named like North haven't showed that.

Why keep players on the list for 3 years and not even try them in a pre season scratch match?

In the hope they develop into players worth keeping. North wouldn't be the first 3rd round draft pick to never play a game, and while I agree before his 2017 injury I was hoping he'd get a spot Crowden and Banfield had far better years in the WAFL last year, and I don't think North has been showing enough in the scratch matches to knock out someone in the 22.

You say that about North but I,'ve watched him put a blinder in against Subiaco . He showed fantastic potential but then suffered an injury,
Fair enough, I must have missed that one. I've just seen him put in a fair few "meh" games for Peel, but that doesn't mean a lot.

Had a look at the stats for his last 10 WAFL games and I don't see anything that screams AFL player to me considering at Peel he is almost exclusively an inside mid. Over his entire career (WAFL) he averages less than 20 touches a game, averages 3.3 marks and 0.2 goals per game.

I'd still like to see him get an opportunity at the top level, but Banfield, Crowden and Giro all have better records at WAFL level so I don't hold great hopes. The thing that annoys the crap out of me is that all three of these guys are left foot only - how do guys of this size get onto an AFL list size without being able to kick both feet?

1593406598333.png

Fair enough, I must have missed that one. I've just seen him put in a fair few "meh" games for Peel, but that doesn't mean a lot.

Had a look at the stats for his last 10 WAFL games and I don't see anything that screams AFL player to me considering at Peel he is almost exclusively an inside mid. Over his entire career (WAFL) he averages less than 20 touches a game, averages 3.3 marks and 0.2 goals per game.

I'd still like to see him get an opportunity at the top level, but Banfield, Crowden and Giro all have better records at WAFL level so I don't hold great hopes. The thing that annoys the crap out of me is that all three of these guys are left foot only - how do guys of this size get onto an AFL list size without being able to kick both feet?

View attachment 902584

I get all that, stats never lie apparently but it still doesn't make sense to keep a player on the list for 3 years, pay him his salary then not at least let him show what' he is capable of.
After he was delisted the club must have seen something in him to re rookie him.
The club could have replaced him with a mature ager from Vic gifted him games and the wheel goes round and round in the circle game. :)

I get all that, stats never lie apparently but it still doesn't make sense to keep a player on the list for 3 years, pay him his salary then not at least let him show what' he is capable of.
After he was delisted the club must have seen something in him to re rookie him.
The club could have replaced him with a mature ager from Vic gifted him games and the wheel goes round and round in the circle game. :)
Not disagreeing with you Salim - play him or * him off.

Maybe North is a bust but how do we know until he gets a go.
We know what Shulz etc can do , let them run around in the Saturday scratchy and play the Watson's, etc to see what they offer. You'll never know until you give them a go.

The lack of the WAFL in the early part of this season, has been a bummer. How can the youngsters show their progression ?. Training drills can only show you so much.

Oh the seconds scratch matches, a bit meh, can you really take much from them ?. Loaning players from other teams, sure makes up the numbers but ..

Don't follow you, I was calling out th FFC for being so conservative. It's bullshit the way they are picking the sides.

I see where you are coming from, but you still need some balance. Old heads are still needed, can’t all be full of rookies.

Happy if we blood new players, maybe another this week, using Fyfe’s rest as a springboard to try something new.

I see where you are coming from, but you still need some balance. Old heads are still needed, can’t all be full of rookies.

Happy if we blood new players, maybe another this week, using Fyfe’s rest as a springboard to try something new.

While I agree in theory, when the old heads are having little to no impact, what is the point of playing them over younger guys? The theory of needing the experience to complement the young players only holds up when the older guys are actually having an impact on the game.

While I agree in theory, when the old heads are having little to no impact, what is the point of playing them over younger guys? The theory of needing the experience to complement the young players only holds up when the older guys are actually having an impact on the game.

I reckon we’re on the same page on this matter.

The old heads need to earn their place. eg. Mundy - cool in a crisis, and earning his place ( accepted it is his last season ).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wowee, Steele Sidebottom gets 4 weeks for breaking Covid rules!

It’s a new world, but the rules are there.

Says a lot about the Collingwood leadership group. Should have had the Vice Captaincy extracted from him.

Excessive drinking during the season, what an idiot. Oh, throw in Covid and we have a very loose personality. Professionalism is lacking in his make up.

Will be a refreshing change not to have a prime time game with one of Collingwood, Richmond, Bulldogs, Geelong or Hawthorn playing. Sick of watching the same players on free to air tv every single weekend for the last few years

Will be a refreshing change not to have a prime time game with one of Collingwood, Richmond, Bulldogs, Geelong or Hawthorn playing. Sick of watching the same players on free to air tv every single weekend for the last few years

I'm really disappointed they're not doing Brisbane vs Port. Should be an awesome game.

Saints too good in the House Rules Cup.

Carlton need to keep building and add some final touches whereas the Saints have finished and are just doing some cleaning and rearranging furniture, handing some pictures and fluffing up the cushions on the couch.

Interesting game for watching the WA boys
SPS has not really gone on like I expected him to. I might have ot admit I was wrong in rating him so highly
Martin by contrast is the bomb. I want a royal commission into how he walked from gold coast. There's something dodgy there
Cripps even when well held is still better than any midfielder we have bar Fyfe
McGovern OK but not worth what Carlton paid
Brad Hill - was poor, is dead to me
But most of all, it's hard to believe a WA boy like Dean Kent was given up by Melbourne for basically nothing and we didn't get involved. Would be an upgrade on Bewley by some margin. Our recruiters are something else really. Idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back