Toast Welcome to Freo Hayden Young – Fremantle’s 1st 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #7]

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it's a different era now, but I think one of the hardest/most structurally important players we've had to replace was Duffield.
Ibbotson intercept mark, handball to Duff and we were away. Duffield rarely turned the ball over and here's hoping Young can grow into that role.
He could well do both by the looks - intercept and run/kick away. He's a gem.

Sam Mitchell is the guy I used to console myself when we pick small and or slow players, that dude was amazing for a bloke that had very little going for him physically. Good agility and balance and that's it.

****ing amazing vision, ridiculous handballer and accurate kick over 40 meters on both feet.

If Serong can do that we'll kick ass.

Man I wish people would stop calling our good players overrated, for one you can't be a Freo player and be overrated in this league considering most of our players are invisible to everybody else. Neale was constantly bagged for some reason even though he's elite, as he was when he played for us. And Ryan has been one of our better kicks and playmakers off half back ever since he debuted for us and was genuinely tracking towards AA last year. Not sure why he's looking like a shell of himself this year, but hopefully it's a case of form is temporary class is permanent.

I stand by it. I personally have seen nothing to suggest he’s an elite kick ever. He’s elite at intercepting and is an above average player in general based off mostly that, especially based off last season. His kicking skills are nothing special and are massively overrated by our supporters imo.

Almost none of our players are overrated by the general football public who seem to think our side is nothing but Fyfe and Walters.

Last edited:
I stand by it. I personally have seen nothing to suggest he’s an elite kick ever. He’s elite at intercepting and is an above average player in general based off mostly that, especially based off last season. His kicking skills are nothing special and are massively overrated by our supporters imo.

Almost none of our players are overrated by the general football public who seem to think our side is nothing but Fyfe and Walters.
I know this is the Young thread but pretty sure Ryan’s kicking efficiency was consistently 80%+ last season.

On the topic of Young I’m tipping him to get his first goal and a rising star nom this week 🤞

So to clarify you've seen NOTHING to suggest he's an elite kick?

I know this is the Young thread but pretty sure Ryan’s kicking efficiency was consistently 80%+ last season.

On the topic of Young I’m tipping him to get his first goal and a rising star nom this week 🤞

Aren’t all kicks over 40m to a 50/50 contest considered effective? Considering Ryan bombs it long most chances he gets that’d explain it.

Point is disposal/kicking efficiency is a garbage stat to the point where it should almost be ignored completely.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aren’t all kicks over 40m to a 50/50 contest considered effective? Considering Ryan bombs it long most chances he gets that’d explain it.

Point is disposal/kicking efficiency is a garbage stat to the point where it should almost be ignored completely.
All kicks over 40m not directly marked by the opposition are considered effective.

All kicks over 40m not directly marked by the opposition are considered effective.

The other thing that isn’t highlighted about the stat is it varies massively depending on the position a player plays.

I can’t remember what year it was but I once looked at the disposal efficiency for our side throughout that year and our first choice back six were all in the top ten. Zac Dawson was one of those back six. If that doesn’t show the stat is close to useless, I don’t know what does.

Last edited:
The other thing that isn’t highlighted about the stat is it varies massively depending on the position a player plays.

I can’t remember what year it was but I once looked at the disposal efficiency for our side throughout that year and our first choice back six were all in the top ten. Zac Dawson was one of those back six. If that doesn’t show the stat is close to useless, I don’t know what does.
The sideways kicks do that, but I think Ryan averages in the mid 300s for meters gained which doesn't happen from sideways kicks.

The sideways kicks do that, but I think Ryan averages in the mid 300s for meters gained which doesn't happen from sideways kicks.

Defenders have higher disposal efficiencies due to taking safer options. Sideways kicks and long kicks down the line will generally be classed as effective disposals but are less likely to help the team score than other options.

Young won’t have as high of a disposal efficiency than Ryan, largely because he’s a better kick (therefore taking riskier, more beneficial options). That’s how dumb the stat actually is.

I feel it’s a little bit unfair on Ryan to be critiquing his kicking on a Hayden Young thread.

In a team that gets constantly butchered on turnovers we should be glad we have a guy who is able to repel the opposition in the air, clear the ball out of our back line and turn it directly over less than 18% of the time.

yeah while i dont think its not unreasonable to say ryan 'does not have an elite kick he is still a very good one.
And above all a very good player period.

Now back to young , tiny sample size but already looks like he could be a very special player.
Someone mentioned hodge earlier,(not sure yet on that one) but Hopefully like hodge he can go onto be our Mr fix it, as his assets are just so valuable I hope they're utilised all over the ground depending on the scenario

Defenders have higher disposal efficiencies due to taking safer options. Sideways kicks and long kicks down the line will generally be classed as effective disposals but are less likely to help the team score than other options.

Young won’t have as high of a disposal efficiency than Ryan, largely because he’s a better kick (therefore taking riskier, more beneficial options). That’s how dumb the stat actually is.
There is a stat recorded by champion data where they measure the difficulty of the kicks, I can't remember the exact name of it at the moment but the general idea is that the league has kicks that everyone should hit all the time all the way to kicks that rarely hit the target, pressure etc, and compare the players kicking across the league by those standards.

I haven't seen a report on it for a while but that's the stat that will settle it once and for all. It's why I'd expect someone who attempts the risky but damaging kick to score higher than the 20 sideways kicks to zero pressure.

There is a stat recorded by champion data where they measure the difficulty of the kicks, I can't remember the exact name of it at the moment but the general idea is that the league has kicks that everyone should hit all the time all the way to kicks that rarely hit the target, pressure etc, and compare the players kicking across the league by those standards.

I haven't seen a report on it for a while but that's the stat that will settle it once and for all. It's why I'd expect someone who attempts the risky but damaging kick to score higher than the 20 sideways kicks to zero pressure.

Kick rating.

nah. We have young midfielders to play. Young is looking like Corey Enright potential. I’ll take that everyday of the week. And Wilson stinks so would rather Young on HB
Played a lot on a wing today with Duman taking his HB spot. Not Hayden’s best game but worth considering I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back