Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathetic call by the ump

It's all about the numbers, the incidents do not matter.

If you come out an average 3 kicks a match ahead, then the fact that you dipped out of 20 obvious holds, 30 obvious blocks and 50 obvious throws, doesn't account for anything.

I think we need to cool out jets re Dan Butler.

The world is crazy sometimes, hey?

It's the supercoach mentality. You just discard a player one week, and insert another. Next week it's a different player again.

I think we need to cool out jets re Dan Butler.
I would usually agree, but a small pacy forward who can impact the scoreboard has been a glaring need for some time for us.
Not that I was a huge fan of Butler in particular but he was available and offered that skillset.

It's the supercoach mentality. You just discard a player one week, and insert another. Next week it's a different player again.

The guy has had a couple of decent games on the rebound after being delisted and now he’s the cure to our ills.

He’ll probably be playing suburban footy in 18 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy has had a couple of decent games on the rebound after being delisted and now he’s the cure to our ills.

He’ll probably be playing suburban footy in 18 months.

I mean, he wasn't getting delisted. He's also one of the highest goal kickers in the VFL of the last couple of years.

He was also a rising star nominee in 2017 and is only 23/24.

Some on here really struggle to admit some opposition players are any good sometimes.

Of the 800 odd players in the league, given we have been a mediocre, mid table team for the best part of 2 decades, generally there's going to be a number of better players on other teams.

Or, it's the he's kicking 2 goals a game and is one of the best small forwards in the league in 2020, "using your eyes" mentality.

I mean, he wasn't getting delisted. He's also one of the highest goal kickers in the VFL of the last couple of years.

Some on here really struggle to admit some opposition players are any good sometimes.

Of the 800 odd players in the league, given we have been a mediocre, mid table team for the best part of 2 decades, generally there's going to be a number of better players on other teams.

Or, it's the he's kicking 2 goals a game and is one of the best small forwards in the league in 2020, "using your eyes" mentality.
We're 5 games into the season.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

We're 5 games into the season.

Yep,

So we are all cooling our jets on Jy Simpkin then as well?

Butler would be in the AA side at the minute.

The Saints are flying at the minute, I'm glad we got them when we did, as they'd be going in warm favourites to a game next weekend.

Yep.

We need to wait for a larger body to proclaim him the messiah.

Let's just revisit Butler down the track.

I don't think anyone is claiming Butler is the messiah, but like Jy, he's a form player in the compeititon at the minute and deserves some plaudits.

We'd be waxing lyrical about him if he'd had the same first 5 weeks at the club for us.

I don't think anyone is claiming Butler is the messiah, but like Jy, he's a form player in the compeititon at the minute and deserves some plaudits.

We'd be waxing lyrical about him if he'd had the same first 5 weeks at the club for us.
He deserves a pat on the back for sure.

Important words - at the minute

A lot of bf posters here clearly don’t watch enough opposition footy and only notice the star players
and if you’re not a star they equate that to not worth picking up

moneyball players are not well identified by your average bf poster, mostly lazy responses of who is that or he is a spud instead

Important words - at the minute

Absolutely.

You can only judge them on their merits, no?

This season he's one of the best small forwards.

He wasn't exactly a spud at Richmond either, he was kept out of the AFL side by one of the best mosquito fleets of the last 20 years. He ******* absolutely dominated the VFL.

I'm not going to go all crabby about picking him up, as it seemed like it was only ever Carlton and St Kilda in that race.

A lot of bf posters here clearly don’t watch enough opposition footy and only notice the star players
and if you’re not a star they equate that to not worth picking up

moneyball players are not well identified by your average bf poster, mostly lazy responses of who is that or he is a spud instead
LOL

Yep,

So we are all cooling our jets on Jy Simpkin then as well?

Butler would be in the AA side at the minute.

The Saints are flying at the minute, I'm glad we got them when we did, as they'd be going in warm favourites to a game next weekend.
Jy Simpkin has been building to this form for years.

Butler had a good game against Carlton, who we beat by more than 10 goals when we played them last, in one of Brad Scotts' final five games. But he has played well and suits the sort of bruise free footy the Saints played last night.

I agree he is in good form but wouldn't compare his form line to Jy's just yet.

After all Jy has been tracking as one of the best movers and potentially one of the best players in the comp since he started. Although, cos he is one of ours, we have all watched all the little things that show his potential. We haven't done that with Butler.

There seem to be two sorts of fast small forwards in the comp. The likes of C Cameron, Papley and Betts go can dominate for years on end, against a string of other players who are fast and skilful but haven't shown the longevity of those guys.

Do you think Butler has it in him to follow those three into a long career or is it just a flash in the pan?

Jy Simpkin has been building to this form for years.

Butler had a good game against Carlton, who we beat by more than 10 goals when we played them last, in one of Brad Scotts' final five games. But he has played well and suits the sort of bruise free footy the Saints played last night.

I agree he is in good form but wouldn't compare his form line to Jy's just yet.

After all Jy has been tracking as one of the best movers and potentially one of the best players in the comp since he started. Although, cos he is one of ours, we have all watched all the little things that show his potential. We haven't done that with Butler.

There seem to be two sorts of fast small forwards in the comp. The likes of C Cameron, Papley and Betts go can dominate for years on end, against a string of other players who are fast and skilful but haven't shown the longevity of those guys.

Do you think Butler has it in him to follow those three into a long career or is it just a flash in the pan?

Simpkin has been building this sort of form for about 17 games, not years. He was a sub 14 disposal a game forward/mid before that with a lot of physical development infront of him.

Butlers had more than 1 good game this year and he's had more than 1 good game in his career.

He kicked 30 goals as a 1st year small forward at Richmond including playing in a premiership.......

He kicked more goals as a 19 year old than Zurhaar did last year in his break out season.

They are both having breakout seasons in their retrospective positions and I have no doubt both will continue the form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back