Preview Round 5 vs Brisbane at the GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Good question. However the last 3 games for both sides has been the same opponents if I am not mistaken, so numbers would be relevant.

Have to remember round 1 was Brisbane losing to Collingwood, while we thumped GC with a massive forward half dominance so would skew it a bit
Brisbane lost to Hawks

I felt that Port could Port it up against WC. Felt the same way the three previous games.

I'm feeling more confident this weekend even though we're playing our toughest opponent so far. We're playing good footy, and apart from 2 players the team's at full strength.

There, I've just jinxed the result

I really want to believe. I want to know that we are a super reliable, mature, resilient team that will absorb the best the opposition can throw at us and then come back at them with ruthless efficiency and power. We did this in Q2 vs Freo and Q3 vs WCE. Do it against Brisbane and come away with an efficient, strong win and I will believe that little bit more. I haven't believed properly since the Sydney SCG game in 2014.

I really want to believe. I want to know that we are a super reliable, mature, resilient team that will absorb the best the opposition can throw at us and then come back at them with ruthless efficiency and power. We did this in Q2 vs Freo and Q3 vs WCE. Do it against Brisbane and come away with an efficient, strong win and I will believe that little bit more. I haven't believed properly since the Sydney SCG game in 2014.

Yeah, you want to believe, but there's been too many false dawns with this mob to be anything other than cautiously optimistic. I note that all of the teams we have easily beat this year we easily beat last year too. A win this week would be a big step forward.

I am going with an "one week at a time" approach. That's my horizon.

I have joined BF in 2017. In my first two seasons following footy, I have witnessed our Final loss v. Eagles and the 11-4 debacle.

No expectations result in no disappointments. I may reassess this later on, but, now, I am just enjoying the ride.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port to start strongly, lead by 10 points at qtr time.
Lions blitz us 7 goals to 1 in 2nd qtr. Martin tears us apart again as usual in the ruck.
Port fight on, but margin to great - Lions by 11 points.
B 13g 10b def PA 11g 11b.
Butters and Marshall 3 each, Gray 2.
Best: Butters, Jonas, DBJ, Amon, Rocky.
Reports: Lycett for tripping Neale.
Inj: Boak hammy.

Good be a GF preview especially if the majority of the season is played in Queensland.

They match up well on us. Very even in the midfield. Both forward lines have aerial threats and quick smalls. Their defence looks a bit top heavy and slow to me.

McBaggage, Neil, Little Charlie and Hipster are their main treats while we have Lycett, Boak, Big Charlie and Gray as our trumps. But I don’t expect the match to be won by these guys.

Teams are so even, I’m expecting it to be decided by the last 6 players on the list, not the first 6. Whichever side gets the most out of their fringe players will win.

Still my favourite non-finals game I've been at. From euphoria to incandescent with rage the following week against the Swans. 2004 should have been our 2nd flag in a row. Gaaa.

Wrong year that game was 02 , we lost to that annoying pies team a week later

Wrong year that game was 02 , we lost to that annoying pies team a week later
Unfortunately I was at that finals as well. :( Living in Melbourne at the time I couldn't get to all our finals games at Footy Park. Until 2004 I got seeing our 3 losses in week 1 in 2001, 2002 and 2003. At least 2004 I got to see the win against Geelong at FP (and the GF at the MCG).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back