Autopsy Roos lose to the Dogs - Round 5, 2020

Tiberius

Generational Talent
Sep 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can anyone tell me what our game plan is?
Apparently it's this...

images.jpeg.jpg

Another big issue.

We can’t retain the ball in our forward 50.

That’s when your half backs look dangerous.

When you maintain territorial advantage they have time to setup and defensive kicks are generally rushed and more easily mopped up.

That’s when Jasper and others start to get going, when they can setup 80 metres out and attack quickly.

Bulldogs worked it out too easily, mightily assisted by some ****ed non-calls from Ray Ray and the Frog *ers.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Another big issue.

We can’t retain the ball in our forward 50.

That’s when your half backs look dangerous.

When you maintain territorial advantage they have time to setup and defensive kicks are generally rushed and more easily mopped up.

That’s when Jasper and others start to get going, when they can setup 80 metres out and attack quickly.

Bulldogs worked it out too easily, mightily assisted by some f’ed non-calls from Ray Ray and the Frog f***ers.
Xerri, Brown and Hall offer nothing defensively. Liking Mahoney but he isn't quick or known for his defensive pressure - he's the cherry on top of a front 5 that can compensate for his deficiencies.

Taylor tries to lay defensive pressure but can't do it on his own. Thomas usually good in this regard but wasn't great tonight.

Hard to retain the ball in the forward half when it's waltzed out under no pressure. We are crying our for quality pressure forwards and good users off half back...

Our issues are are between the arcs. Have been for years and still we don’t address them.
Robbie Tarrant is our best kick coming out of defensive fifty. Our FB. That is a disastrous situation to find ourselves in.
How can our number 1 stopper also be our best avenue out of defence?

I believe there is a spot in the team team for Marley but only as a lockdown defender. He must never kick the ball. Ever.
Luke as well as shown a bit but those two are the only negating types I want.

Atley, Pittard and JMac all need to be moved on in some way or another. I can’t stress how dumbstruck I am that we have the worse users of the football in the league at half back. How does this mess happen? Who ticks it off?

The midfield needs to be worked on further and I believe LDU and the draft this year will help but I’d like to we some smart trading if we can ever do it successfully.

The forward line is a shambles. We need more players who can lay tackles and apply pressure as our skills going forward are atrocious and yet we play slow types in attack. I don’t get it. There is no one who consistently locks the ball in and on top of that we are playing two blokes over 200cm down there. It just isn’t the way.
We have always let the ball waltz out of there and I hope we address this by playing and trying different options next week and going forward. What do we have to lose after all?

I think Rhyce is learning what it takes to be an AFL coach. Three weeks running we’ve seen Horse park Lloyd, Clarko park Sicily and Beveridge use Wood as the spare man next to Brown.
We kick it long and their spare cuts it off and then they’re off to the races.
It is so easy to beat us right now we need to change it up. The * and Tigers are going to cut us to bits with our current set up.

We need to bring in some youth and change the mix.
I have ruled a line through a dozen senior players but I hope Brady is up for the ruthless challenge that is heading his way. The list is bottom 6 and it’s showing.

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
Our issues are are between the arcs. Have been for years and still we don’t address them.
Robbie Tarrant is our best kick coming out of defensive fifty. Our FB. That is a disastrous situation to find ourselves in.
How can our number 1 stopper also be our best avenue out of defence?

I believe there is a spot in the team team for Marley but only as a lockdown defender. He must never kick the ball. Ever.
Luke as well as shown a bit but those two are the only negating types I want.

Atley, Pittard and JMac all need to be moved on in some way or another. I can’t stress how dumbstruck I am that we have the worse users of the football in the league at half back. How does this mess happen? Who ticks it off?

The midfield needs to be worked on further and I believe LDU and the draft this year will help but I’d like to we some smart trading if we can ever do it successfully.

The forward line is a shambles. We nees more players who can lay pressure and lock the ball in and playing two blokes over 200cm down there isn’t the way.
We have always let the ball waltz out of there and I hope we address this by playing and trying different options.

I think Rhyce is learning what it takes to be an AFL coach. Three weeks running we’ve seen Horse park Lloyd, Clarko park Sicily and Beveridge use Wood as the spare man next to Brown.
We kick it long and their spare cuts it off and then they’re off to the races.
It is so easy to beat us right now we need to change it up. The * and Tigers are going to cut us to bits with our current set up.

We need to bring in some youth and change the mix.
I have ruled a line through a dozen senior players but I hope Brady is up for the ruthless challenge that is heading his way. The list is bottom 6 and it’s showing.
Brady knows the list is poor.

A very dirty night but we aren’t this bad. Something is awry structurally and psychologically. It can turn.

For the moment, however, our midfield is well out of whack. Our forward entries suck. Our aerial game is rubbish and we are moving it atrociously off half back. Also have crucial players injured or out of form.
But apart from that we look good;):'(:mad::poo:

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Brady knows the list is poor.
The only silver lining is that it’s not our young players are the issue, it’s middle of the road experienced players.

We might be in for some pain for a few years, but there is definitely the foundations there in some of our young talent.

We need to find another up and coming key defender for when Robbie retires (Durdin and McKay just aren’t it), a small pressure forward, a good rebounding defender (Williams from GWS would be perfect).

There are players to build around, we just need to clear the deadwood.

I hope I mellow out overnight because right now I can’t think of a worse effort from the club.

Because the more I reflect the more I feel as though we had a majority of players not putting in the required effort tonight.

And I don’t normally say these things.

At one stage I grabbed my abacus and noted that the starting midfield was Ando, Simpkin, Dumont and Hall . That right there is not AFL standard .
Then Xerri , Zurhaar Anderson and Simpkin .

So while it seems many of you are furious, the truth is we ain’t any good.
This also isn’t Shaw’s fault ! Remember that please .
Agreed. Shaw has inherited a number of players that have been Scotted. :stern look

Pittard may have had a poor couple of weeks but to move him on is just a ludicrous call.
Understand this DR, he is not a poor footballer he is just a poor half back flanker.
Something our team can ill afford.
It’s murder out there at the moment with how the balls exiting our defensive fifty.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Let’s recognise we have an issue then try players to fix it. That’s is all I ask. For so long we have lacked explosiveness out of the middle and we just never tried played who have that skill set. It has killed Atleys career, hopefully we don’t do it to more.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The only silver lining is that it’s not our young players are the issue, it’s middle of the road experienced players.

We might be in for some pain for a few years, but there is definitely the foundations there in some of our young talent.

We need to find another up and coming key defender for when Robbie retires (Durdin and McKay just aren’t it), a small pressure forward, a good rebounding defender (Williams from GWS would be perfect).

There are players to build around, we just need to clear the deadwood.

The young talent we have is good enough to make the pain worthwhile ala Brisbane coming good quick because of their talent.

We'll be s**t for a while, but not for long considering we have some really good young players waiting to come in or are developing.

Hayden, Scott, LDU, Taylor, Zurhaar, Simpkin, Mahoney, Comben, Perez, TT, Xerri, Larkey.

That's not a bad base to build off of.

I suppose I'm gonna repeat what many have posted but that was a disappointing performance. Probably the second worst under Shaw. The worst being that 1 goal outing at Baked Potatoe Stadium.

Baffled by the Cunnington selection. Dead Set Amateur Hour playing him. Bring back the Silver Fox. :stern look

Positives for mine were Taylor and Hayden. Simpkin continues to play well in the midfield. Goldy is having a very good year thus far. Lukey Mac on the Bont was a good move.

Would've liked to have seen The Bull given a go in the midfield sooner. Kicked a nice goal late after some Simpkin Magic. But we need more from him. Has been down since the GWS game.

Xerri has had a taste but he struggled tonight. We do miss Larkey who arguably is one of our best contested marks. Xerri just hasn't been able to take that big grab in his two games played.

Plenty of ordinary performances. Atley laid a great tackle but that was his highlight for the game. JMac's long kicks and one on one efforts were rubbish for the large part. Jed tries but struggles to hit the target. Higgins had a poor one. Couldn't get into the game. Dumont was sub par. Polec was just so. Too many guys down and it showed on the scoreboard.

The previous 2 close losses glossed over our faults but the Dogs highlighted them to all in Sunbury with that effort.

It is Mirror time for some of these blokes. Because if some of them don't pull out the finger soon they wont be at the club next year. :stern look

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We’ve had different mids over the last 10 years yet still been consistently killed with run and spread. We are suffering some terrible meat grinder hangover. We are all filler, no killer.
I think a lot of our midfield issues will be sorted out as soon as some of these young kids start emerging.

Just look at Simpkin. His work in the midfield is becoming sublime. He has the talent to work himself into space, not just grab and hack.

Get him along with a fit and firing LDU, Cunnington still has plenty of good years in him and the possibility of Thomas moving in there and all of a sudden that midfield starts to look very good.

We really need to nail the next few drafts. If we get those right we have the foundation to build upon.

showusyacunningt

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2010
doghouse
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Haleing goals
I don't think we're that far away. Certainly not a long rebuild, years of pain type of thing. If we can find a couple of users off HB and a lively small forward we'd see almost immediate results. I think our list is pretty good outside of our weaknesses and it's where our weaknesses are that compound the rest of our problems. We still have Goldy, our spine is very good and Simpkin's developed into one of the best centre square mids around.

Back