Autopsy Roos lose to the Dogs - Round 5, 2020

Go_Roos!

May 2, 2017
Think he dud his fitness test running with mick Nolan. Shaw is starting to make some bad bad calls

It better be or Shaw/Rawlings will be in the gun.
Hall for one should never play again - is soft and invisible
The same as he was when he played for Gold Coast, that's how he plays, what did we expect?

sutcliffe's hotel

Premium Platinum
Oct 30, 2005
Brisbanistan
I saw a play in the 3rd 1/4 that said it all to me. North player just bombs a ball into our forward line to a 4 Dogs versus 2 North players. Doggies mark the ball, takes a few steps back and then kicks out of the 50 and hits a doggies player on the chest with no less than 3 North players within 5-10 metres of him. Not one of the North players made any attempt to make a contest, with all of them pointing at each other wondering why they weren't manning up. And while this is going on the ball is moved quickly down the other end to finish with a Doggies forward being hit on the chest and kicks a goal.

Then rinse/repeat.

Dunno what's up with Higgins at the moment but he's way off it. The alarm bells started chiming a few weeks ago when, in a half time interview, he was using the "hopefully" language again. It's something I hadn't heard since the Bradbot days really.

Something's not right in our overall attitude as a group and it's sticking out like dogs balls. At the minute he's a fair reflection of the team as a whole.

Flat, uninvested and a little half arsed.

Reactive as opposed to proactive and lacking positivity.

We aren't hunting the ball, we aren't hunting the man, we're just going through the motions and I know it's already been pointed out, but we have about 5 maybe 6 blokes tops who are giving their all week after week.

Massive cull coming up at seasons end.

Dirty_11

Jan 28, 2014
Beneath the Blue & White
Shinboners
Dunno what's up with Higgins at the moment but he's way off it. The alarm bells started chiming a few weeks ago when, in a half time interview, he was using the "hopefully" language again. It's something I hadn't heard since the Bradbot days really.

Something's not right in our overall attitude as a group and it's sticking out like dogs balls. At the minute he's a fair reflection of the team as a whole.

We aren't hunting the ball, we aren't hunting the man, we're just going through the motions and I know it's already been pointed out, but we have about 5 maybe 6 blokes tops who are giving their all week after week.

I think they believed the media hype after round 2 and started drinking their own bath water.

Tarryn's giggling on the bench in the second half s**t me no end as well. That needs to be addressed straight away. Terrible look when you have the faithful sitting at home hurting more than the players.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think they believed the media hype after round 2 and started drinking their own bath water.

Tarryn's giggling on the bench in the second half sh*t me no end as well. That needs to be addressed straight away. Terrible look when you have the faithful sitting at home hurting more than the players.

You could be right, so no argument from me on that.

Here's an alternate take:

The senior group who were nutured under the ethos of never getting ahead of yourselves, the careful careful mantra, automatically go into their shells when things are looking really good. They basically kill their own momentum with their mindset and then the performances follow, as do the average results.

That's some pretty deep rooted self doubt and one that isn't really curable.

It has to be cut out like a cancer.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
It’s not hard to scout our team when Cunners is injured, just tag Higgins out of the game he’s our best user by foot and knows how to get the pill. Straight away our effective influence halves.

This also takes away any resemblance of a precision game and our midfield then they revert to hack-it-forward footy, which in-turn puts BBB immediately under the pump.

Couple that with just a 10% drop in our intensity and skilled teams just slice us to shreds.

Im not blaming Shaw, we have a list problem. Yes he shouldn’t have picked Cunners this week (looks like a Rookie mistake), but in the big scheme of things he’s trying to do open heart surgery with a hammer and a butter knife, we don’t have the elite cattle and until we do these severe ups and downs will continue unfortunately.

The talk about reducing list sizes next year might work in our favour as we could cut a large chunk of list cloggers without having to justify it.

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
Atlanta Falcons
Anyone potting Mahoney needs to re evaluate. He at least bled for the jumper and tried to create

10 blokes shouldn't of even bothered showering after last night's showing...

Higgo mailing it in after a contract extension looking more dubious each week.

There is not one player that is untouchable on the list imo

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Moti

Mar 4, 2001
The problem is rebuilding doesn't always equal success either. If we go down the play the kids path and go into full rebuild we can not afford to fu** it up. Carlton/Melbourne levels of prolonged shitness will end this club.

To me it isn’t rebuilding, it is having a plan. Identify the issues then make decisions to correct. Maybe Hayden is one already. Slow, ineffective HB. Slot Hayden to learn alongside experience. Then add another etc.

The midfield is slow and far from dynamic, introduce this. How the likes of Bonar and Ahern haven’t been given slabs of time in there is bewildering.

shimaburnsgrieg

Apr 1, 2017
Brady knows the list is poor.
Does he have a mandate to restructure it? Is the Board prepared to bottom out?

This requires a minimum 3 year rebuild just to get us back into finals contention - let alone thinking about success at the pointy end.

We are in this dire position because of previous short cuts, a 'topping up' mentality, a mass over estimating of the ability of our players and an unwillingness to make unpopular decisions.

Brady seems like the guy who can fix this - but he is going to need a mandate to

(i) cut deep into the list over a 3 year period - only around 10 current players should still be there in 3 years time
(ii) make trades of senior players if we get offered overs
(iii) invest heavily in the draft - 5 picks inside 35 for 3 years straight

My guess is that we wont do the above - the Board wont have the stomach for it.

I made this same post 3 years ago and look where we are today - exactly the same position we were then.

And my guess is that we will do what we did 3 years ago - top up, aim to finish middle of the ladder and 'talk' about our 5th flag without making any hard decisions to actually achieve it.

Passmore

May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
Norf
Shaw has spoke about defensive grit and hardness and all that. I'd love a focus on skill and football talent.
Problem is you can't make soufle with horse s**t. Grit and hardness is the only way we can compete at the moment.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
St Johnstone
Actually a pretty positive night for mine.

Goldie and Tarrant marked strongly.

Then it got really interesting. A microbiologist, several phycisists, astrobiologost, astrophysicist and psychogist amongst others working through experiments and conversation around the world to answer some big questions.

Note: I switched over to a Netflix doco at halftime

Jul 27, 2006
adelaide
I would bet my dick that 90% of Anderson’s turnovers came from having to attempt a 15% kick because our forward line was littered with Dogs defenders.

We were outworked at both ends and our clearances (apart from the first two in the final quarter) gave us nothing to work with.

Once they break our lines at half back (which was too easy for them as we sat off them at the stoppages) they can draw a defender a handball / chip over the top and end up with a no pressure inside 50 kick.

If Anderson gets that sort of space, and our forwards have that sort of space to work into, he’ll hit targets.

His role in and around the stoppages is what he should be looking at.

But I’d be far more worried about the concentration /work ethic of Polec, Hall and whoever else is playing a ‘second line’ role at stoppages.

i reckon he’s being asked to take a back seat to see where we really are at in the midfield.

no cunners and he’s being asked to play half forward and wing. You can see it in his body language, I don’t think he’s comfortable playing second banana to Simpkin - but I don’t understand why they don’t just plonk him in there along with Simpkin when we actually need it.

Our midfield is that s**t atm the only thing I can think is they are trying to setup structurally for when LDU comes back in, it doesn’t make sense otherwise.

we were getting bullocked in the midfield and at the contest, yet we have Simpkin hall and Anderson on ball at the centre bounce with higgo on the wing.

I said it in the game day thread, he chased west down on the wing after he disposed of it, put him to the ground then shoved an elbow in the back of his neck. Not the sign of someone who is happy and leading atm

Royal Flush

Feb 14, 2008
Actually a pretty positive night for mine.

Goldie and Tarrant marked strongly.

Then it got really interesting. A microbiologist, several phycisists, astrobiologost, astrophysicist and psychogist amongst others working through experiments and conversation around the world to answer some big questions.

Note: I switched over to a Netflix doco at halftime
Simpkin to zurhaar to goal.
Kept me slightly interested in an unlikely comeback

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Benj7

NMK🦘4 x 🏆
Sep 20, 2014
I think all we can say as supports is we have lots of room for improvement. Takes a few tweaks and we could have won every game this year. Ball use inside 50 is terrible. Think BB should be instructed to flick the ball out the back in marking contests where he can’t mark it. Have Hall, Thomas, Mahoney & Scott run onto it see what can be done thqt way. As good as jed’s been with pressure the kicking is a joke. I could confidently say he kicks like we would if we played.

Moti

Mar 4, 2001
He’s scared of his own shadow at the moment.

I don’t think it is that. He is way scrappier than I thought he would be. He is like that kid in your team that has no talent but would just fight like crazy to get the Val and get clear despite weighing 35kg dripping wet