Changes v. Suns - Jetta, Bennell, Weid, OMac IN / Spuds Out

Remove this Banner Ad

Brayshaw is averaging 16 disposals... This is supposed to be the third best kid of his age in the country
I agree that he's in bad form, but where do you get off with your 'statistical analysis'? You're all over every other thread telling us how stats are effectively a useless metric, particularly disposals, but now this is a measure of how s**t Brayshaw is?

Lackluster interpretation of how draft picks work too. Pick 3 =/= the 3rd best career in the draft. There's a whole lot more factors involved than that, and we both know that. Was Brayshaw worth pick three? At this point you'd say no. Is he in the best 10 players from his draft class? Probably, I'd have to look at the group.

You're also falling for the Derwayne Russell trick of 'THIS IS THE LOWEST SCORING HALF ADELAIDE HAS HAD FOR A DECADE!'. Well, yeah, games are about 25% shorter so of course you're going to see less disposals and less scoring.

Dropping Viney for Sparrow is stupid.

Sparrow is Viney-lite. He's not going to bring anything that Viney doesn't.
It'S a stAtEMent. Bring in someonne who gives a stufff!

You literally couldn't find a player who cares more than Jack Viney. Nor could you find a guy with less intuition on the field. He needs coachinng and direction. They all do, but none of them are getting it.

Fantastic stuff when youre playing for nothing more than to avoid the embarrassment of norf getting the first overall pick.

Like I said on page one, who cares at this point honestly? Discussing changes likes it's going to make some sort of difference.
IMO none of it will make a difference until Goodwin and co are out the door. At this point, I look at footy as something to look forward to on a week to week basis. I'm not looking for a flag, I'm looking for a sign of who will develop into the core of the side under our next coach.

Unpopular opinion time.... Joel Smith, the obvious clangers aside, actually showed some devleopment IMO and some good defensive pressure/spoils at times. I think it was his best game this year, although the bar was fairly low there.

Also - Pickett isn't doing enough yet. Yes he is extremely exciting, but dropped a simple chest mark (did the same Rd 1) and also completely wasted that chance heading I50, as well as having limited touches of the ball.

I've long advocated Hunt and Fritsch over Hannan, but happy to be wrong here and say he completely showed them both up on the weekend. I also still maintain that we cannot maintain these 3, plus Melksham, in our forward line. We need a proper tall. It shows how far TMac has slipped that yesterday's game was the best he's played this year, yet he still barely had an impact.

Harmes needs to be in the guts, he is absolutely wasted down back. Had an instant impact in the final quarter.

For mine:

IN - Brown/Weid, Jones, Bennell, Jetta

OUT - Tomlinson, Pickett, Hunt, Brayshaw
Pickett needs to be played. Similar to Bennell and Weideman. All three guys need to be in the side. There are some guys like Hunt who, as much as I have liked him in the past and still have him as borderline best 22, have pretty much run their race. We know what they bring, and it isn't much. A good group of coaches would be playing the likes of these three with hardened bodies around them. There's also no point bringing Jones in unless you'll play him in the guts most of the game, the only thing he's ever been great at and something he's still good at, and if you're doing that then you probably need to drop at least two of Brayshaw, Viney and Harmes.

IMO none of it will make a difference until Goodwin and co are out the door. At this point, I look at footy as something to look forward to on a week to week basis. I'm not looking for a flag, I'm looking for a sign of who will develop into the core of the side under our next coach.

The fact we don't even have a first round pick makes me wanna vomit.

#prayforAFLhandout

The fact we don't even have a first round pick makes me wanna vomit.

#prayforAFLhandout
The only handout I want is enough cash to sack the coach. We're one club that you can confidently say is well run in most areas other than the head coach and potentially the CEO.

The only handout I want is enough cash to sack the coach. We're one club that you can confidently say is well run in most areas other than the head coach and potentially the CEO.

Our president is a *******. I don't trust any board who signs off on Pert and Goodwin either. The only time we got it right is when the AFL sent an SOS to Jacko on behalf us. Absolute Embarrassment.

Had a look at the 2014 draft.

Picks 1 (McCartin) and 4 (J.Pickett) aren't on AFL lists. De Goey and Marchbank at 5 and 6 are good players. Ahern and Wright at 7 and 8 are struggling. Moore at 9 was F/S and Heeney was academy. Then you have Cockatoo, Duggan, C.Ellis, L.Weller, Lever, Garlett, Durdin, K.Langford, Boekhorst, Laverde, Goddard, D.McKenzie and Pat McKennna before you get to another good player in Jack Steele.

Last edited:
Had a look at the 2014 draft.

Picks 1 (McCartin) and 4 (J.Pickett) aren't on AFL lists. De Goey and Marchbank at 5 and 6 are good players. Ahern and Wright at 7 and 8 are struggling. Moore at 9 was F/S and Heeney was academy. Then you have Cockatoo, Duggan, C.Ellis, L.Weller, Lever, Garlett, Durdin, K.Langdon, Boekhorst, Laverde, Goddard, D.McKenzie and Pat McKennna before you get to another good player in Jack Steele.
Yuck. Shame about McCartin's head, but that is a very ordinary top 20.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I agree that he's in bad form, but where do you get off with your 'statistical analysis'? You're all over every other thread telling us how stats are effectively a useless metric, particularly disposals, but now this is a measure of how sh*t Brayshaw is?

Lackluster interpretation of how draft picks work too. Pick 3 =/= the 3rd best career in the draft. There's a whole lot more factors involved than that, and we both know that. Was Brayshaw worth pick three? At this point you'd say no. Is he in the best 10 players from his draft class? Probably, I'd have to look at the group.

You're also falling for the Derwayne Russell trick of 'THIS IS THE LOWEST SCORING HALF ADELAIDE HAS HAD FOR A DECADE!'. Well, yeah, games are about 25% shorter so of course you're going to see less disposals and less scoring.

Except with our mids excluding Petracca you can compare disposals because that's currently all they do. Brayshaw isn't tagging, or hitting lace out targets, getting behind the footy and marking or going forward and winning one on ones.
He just collects the ball and gives it to someone else same as Viney and Oliver except he does less of then they do. He's slower than both aswell. I don't see his role in the side for next week let alone the next 5 years of Viney and Oliver's career.

I'll give ya the draft pick argument that was pretty weak, that's more so a reflection of how one dimensional I think he is for a bloke taken so high in the draft.

Yuck. Shame about McCartin's head, but that is a very ordinary top 20.
Wasn't much chop before the injuries if truth be told. Certainly not pick 1 material. Compare him to Max King - there's a rockstar of a young KPF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm not going to watch the game again but I wasn't too angry about Brayshaw's game. If he tackles, takes some marks and doesn't f his kicks i am fine with him getting 15-20 possessions. Really sick of Viney and Clarry's games though. They butcher every kick, run backwards into opposition when we have runners going forward, constant hospital handballs.

Goodwin doesn't care about disposal efficiency otherwise they would have learned to take better options. They aren't going to be dropped, but at least give them some roles to focus on. Get Viney to tag, play Clarry in the F50 and make him focus on tackling, as he let multiple tackles slip.

Jon Ralph reports the 9 include Preuss, Baker and Wagner x2. Assume it also includes the injured KK, Hore, Nietschke, and Petty. Not sure on the 9th.
Probably Harley :rainbow:

I'll go with:

In: Weid, Bennell, OMac, Jetta
Out: Melksham, Hunt, Smith, Lockhart

Mostly like for like - we need a 2nd tall and Melksham has offered next to nothing as part of our 'medium forward line' (genuinely surprised he got 2 goals yesterday, one was Joe the Goose, when was the other?), so he goes. Hunt also invisible unfortunately. About the only thing that might save him is having Langdon mistaken for him (as BT did on more than one occasion). Smith had a 'mare, and with GC having King and Day up there we need someone taller than 191cm to cover. I'm a fan of Lockhart in defence and happy to keep persisting, but he felt a bit invisible yesterday and I'm confident Nev will be better than that.

AVB on notice.

Last edited:

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
"Disgraceful that Fritsch gets whacked on the half time siren and nobody does anything"

This is why Jones needs to return, notwithstanding that he is not best 22 anymore.

He will remonstrate with the opposition. He loves having a wrestle

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Out Goodwin and his entire coaching mud. in Ross the Toss and whoever the * can coach

Out Goodwin and his entire coaching mud. in Ross the Toss and whoever the fu** can coach

Bring back George Stone, Macca and Jennings with him if so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back