Time to land the next big fish

Hamsatma

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Great analysis mate. :thumbsu:

The bolded line is my issue with trading a lot away to get into a top pick, so tough to line them up this year with no junior footy to go on, but I'll back our judgement if there is someone we are keen on.

Seems like a known commodity is the far safer play.
With the lack of juniors it could be a good year to have a late first/2r pick. Much more likely that a high-end talent, especially a late developer, could slip through

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I am dead against giving away picks. I don't want to go down the Swans, Hawks, Geelong road of topping up. I want a continual refresh while at the same time keeping an eye out for free talent via Free Agency.

Nobody really comes to mind as far as Free Agents go. The best of them of look to me like Jeremy Cameron, Zac Williams and Isaac Smith. Certainly, Smith would be a bit quicker on the wing than Josh Caddy but, really, I'm not too enthused. I thought Nick Haynes was going to be available but he must have re-signed.

Given the emergence of Noah recently, we wouldn't have needed Haynes anyway.

We are better resourced than most clubs, so, in a compromised year (both draft/academy/father-son and virus-wise) we should be better equipped than others to find some good talent.

69vintage

Premiership Player
Jan 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Unfortunately I think the end for Cotchin may Sadly be closer than most think. Once your hamstrings start going on you reoccurringly it’s a pretty bad sign.
I hope I’m wrong. I love the blokes game.
I think Cotch 's future is as a small forward with the occasional run on the ball . The role Bolton was playing last year .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

jc12

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Where is tiger71 did anyone hear any inside info from.him regarding a big body mid, we need one now legit, or one of our youngsters to suddenly break out

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I think Cotch 's future is as a small forward with the occasional run on the ball . The role Bolton was playing last year .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hmm that’s being creative , not sure I see cotch being effective in that role. He spends bugger all time forward

Where is tiger71 did anyone hear any inside info from.him regarding a big body mid, we need one now legit, or one of our youngsters to suddenly break out

He said recently we're into a Crouch deal with Adelaide. Perhaps a swap of some depth players to inject Tiger DNA and immediate depth into their playing group, to speed up their rebuild. They'd pay a fair chunk of his wages.

SO given that lists are supposed to be reduced this year that means that we would have to lose AFL quality players anyway. We can probably 'overpay' in terms of player that would help Adelaide hugely, whilst not really damaging us. If it works we get a guy to win that inside ball and extend Cotch and Sheddas careers, and we still have the Rance $ for a FA/trade.

He also said that Dimma is in love with Toby Greene, but not rumours of trade. However, GWS is in diabolical trouble salary cap wise. SO there might be something there.

We'l see. The Adelaide trade makes sense for everyone, as long as Crouch wants success more than $. GWS, we'll see. I reckon it'll only happen if they really cannot make their salary cap work, and so have to trade out someone good. If one of their players wanted a title and thought we're the best bet then we might get an amazing return this year. But all the ducks would have to line up.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Unfortunately I think the end for Cotchin may Sadly be closer than most think. Once your hamstrings start going on you reoccurringly it’s a pretty bad sign.
I hope I’m wrong. I love the blokes game.
Just play Cotch in finals from next year on.

getthefooty

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Still not sure we have the cap space to afford another out and out gun. We probably need another inside mid but we need to get a bit creative I think.

Recruiters should be on the look out for someone that fits into our game style. For mine a Brad Couch type, whilst a prolific inside ball winner doesn't have the defensive attributes or pace to play in our team. I would be looking for someone who can win their own ball and is also quick and hard - they don't necessarily have to be the classiest user by foot (a lot of inside players aren't anyway, unless they are legitimate inside/outside guns like a Kelly or Pendles who cost too much) or have too many tricks.

I guess a Jack Steven or Touk Miller type is what I have in mind (not them, players like them).

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Chol is one if he continues an upward trajectory could break into top 5 - 10 big men in the comp.

His ruckwork is a bit average, I'd be interested to see how he goes as a permanent forward if Riewoldt or Lynch are out for a game
Def forward ruck for mine, good for a chop out and better rucking around ground than cbd,,he’s adding to his trick bag with experience, has much talent to work with , must be played ea week

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Perhaps not top 5 but his performances are looking good against other highly touted young talls
Hes in his 5th year now, not exactly young.

Drafted same time as weitering, weideman, curnow, doedee etc and a year before logue, marshall, english, sean Darcy, ratugolea etc etc.

Hes going okay. Does some special things, just needs to stay involved.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
I'd love to try and get Angus Brayshaw from Melbourne as he's clearly being played out of position, or Cerra from Freo would be great too.
Freo may want to pair up the Brayshaw brothers plus the 3rd at West Coast. Wonder if we could get Cerra as a part of that player movement

axel2cotch2lids

All Australian
Aug 3, 2008
Lounge Room
AFL Club
Richmond
I really think we need to moneyball again and find another Grigg or Houli - Fiorini (GCS)

We need a another Key Back and Big Mid - i am assuming we have some Rance money spare.

I would shake the tree at Freo regarding Alex Pearce - he is exactly the type of player we need back there to compliment Grimes/Balta/Astbury

If our medical team believe they can get him right.

We will need some semi-decent picks to accumulate points for Maurice Rioli Jr

Then throw the sink at look at trading for a more established player Tom Greene, Zak Williams

I have ignored Brad Crouch as he wanted crazy money from GCS last year.

Perfect off-season for me -:

Fiorini, Pearce, Rioli Jr, Greene + 2 draft picks

Back