Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know much about Bruhn but I would take McDonald and Hollands over Rankine and Luko.
Faaark me.. where do you come up with this s**t Muzza?..

Hollands is recovering from an ACL, has proven absolutely nothing at AFL level, is being touted as a mid when he’s not yet, hes a forward/mid. and hasnt actually proven he can be an elite fulltime mid at any level yet..

And Mcdonald hasnt proven anything at AFL level either. Hes a strong looking forward playing in a dominate team in a state league.. does that instantly translate to AFL success?...

94B5BDCD-5334-4F9E-A312-512EC2E0DCAB.gif

This is on par with your “We should trade fog” s**t the other day becuase you think he’s a bust..

Luko and Rankine are going to be guns.. Luko’s field passing to team mates is beyond elite.. its mesmerising how good it is.. in a couple of years from now when hes fully developed he is undoubtably going to be an absolute weapon..

As for Rankine.. if you are that blind you cant see what he brings.. i cant help you.

Faaark me.. where do you come up with this sh*t Muzza?..

Hollands is recovering from an ACL, has proven absolutely nothing at AFL level, is being touted as a mid when he’s not yet, hes a forward/mid. and hasnt actually proven he can be an elite fulltime mid at any level yet..

And Mcdonald hasnt proven anything at AFL level either. Hes a strong looking forward playing in a dominate team in a state league.. does that instantly translate to AFL success?...

View attachment 957777

This is on par with your “We should trade fog” sh*t the other day becuase you think he’s a bust..

Luko and Rankine are going to be guns.. Luko’s field passing to team mates is beyond elite.. its mesmerising how good it is.. in a couple of years from now when hes fully developed he is undoubtably going to be an absolute weapon..

As for Rankine.. if you are that blind you cant see what he brings.. i cant help you.

Just to pull you up on one part of that, McDonald isn’t playing in a dominant team, Perth are likely to miss finals again having not made them in 20 odd years. He’s looked super impressive despite shoddy delivery and a forward structure I witnessed on Sat in person that was Crows beginning of the seasonesque. IMO He’s legit*

*But I agree, unproven at AFL level

Just to pull you up on one part of that, McDonald isn’t playing in a dominant team, Perth are likely to miss finals again having not made them in 20 odd years. He’s looked super impressive despite shoddy delivery and a forward structure I witnessed on Sat in person that was Crows beginning of the seasonesque. IMO He’s legit*

*But I agree, unproven at AFL level
All draft picks are unproven at AFL level. Was a stupid comment by an idiot.

I agree with you - but we need to be much harsher with our list cuts. There should be zero chance of Crocker staying, for example.

Agreed on Crocker. Liked what I saw in preseason, but hasn’t really carried on as hoped. Keays was the opposite, looked bog average early, but really picked up.

FWIW I wouldn’t persist with Crocker, but it wouldn’t surprise if the club did.

Could we go;
OUT: GWS pick (12), pick 20
IN: Caldwell, Hately, pick 30

Or even;

OUT: GWS Pick (12), Hartigan
IN: Caldwell, Hately

I'd be happy with either. The second option would be my preference, as I think we could still get a good player at 20 (and well before any bids on our players).
GWS lose two players that are in a younger age bracket, but aren't in their best team, but gain another top end talent (through pick 12), and defender depth to cover for guys like Davis who are always injured.

Caldwell and Hately would be great additions to our squad when you look at their best positions, ceilings and age profiles.

Could we go;
OUT: GWS pick (12), pick 20
IN: Caldwell, Hately, pick 30

Or even;

OUT: GWS Pick (12), Hartigan
IN: Caldwell, Hately

I'd be happy with either. The second option would be my preference, as I think we could still get a good player at 20 (and well before any bids on our players).
GWS lose two players that are in a younger age bracket, but aren't in their best team, but gain another top end talent (through pick 12), and defender depth to cover for guys like Davis who are always injured.

Caldwell and Hately would be great additions to our squad when you look at their best positions, ceilings and age profiles.
I would rather use the GWS pick to try and move further up the draft order. package it with pick 20 and try to get a pick in the 5-10 range. We already have our 2nd which is pick 20 and then the WB pick at 30ish. Happy to give up pick 20 if it means we get another high pick.

Edit -I would still like to get in Hately or Caldwell or both but without using the GWS pick. I think you are right though we may need to give it up to get both.

Last edited:
Firstly I like to say I'm not sold on trading for Hately.
I'll admit I haven't seen a lot of him but I immediately noticed he is not blessed with great pace and so that lumps him into the same category as a lot of our mids.
That being said if they do trade for Hately then I really hope that Hollands is still high on our list.
As Bearded Clam pointed out "He's touted as a mid but is a forward/mid," but this is one of our greatest needs.
Hately can be that extra mid and Hollands can ply his trade in the forward line before eventually moving into a midfield role.
This is an area we need are in dire need of. Quite simply we need a quality consistent goal kicker.
Hollands would be a major upgrade working in tandem with McAdam and Stengle and a headache for defenders.

I just love the balance and clean skills Holland exhibits; at pace some of his pick ups at his feet are superb .
He is just so decisive in his ball use and looks good one on one when marking.
There is absolutely no hesitation in his decision making, his kick is long and penetrating and he kicks both feet.
His handballs clear the area and are to advantage.

I'm really impressed with Campbell as a midfielder and would bid on him but if Hately is signed in that role then IMO Hollands is the forward / mid we need to grab to upgrade our forward line.

Firstly I like to say I'm not sold on trading for Hately.
I'll admit I haven't seen a lot of him but I immediately noticed he is not blessed with great pace and so that lumps him into the same category as a lot of our mids.
That being said if they do trade for Hately then I really hope that Hollands is still high on our list.
As Bearded Clam pointed out "He's touted as a mid but is a forward/mid," but this is one of our greatest needs.
Hately can be that extra mid and Hollands can ply his trade in the forward line before eventually moving into a midfield role.
This is an area we need are in dire need of. Quite simply we need a quality consistent goal kicker.
Hollands would be a major upgrade working in tandem with McAdam and Stengle and a headache for defenders.

I just love the balance and clean skills Holland exhibits; at pace some of his pick ups at his feet are superb .
He is just so decisive in his ball use and looks good one on one when marking.
There is absolutely no hesitation in his decision making, his kick is long and penetrating and he kicks both feet.
His handballs clear the area and are to advantage.

I'm really impressed with Campbell as a midfielder and would bid on him but if Hately is signed in that role then IMO Hollands is the forward / mid we need to grab to upgrade our forward line.

You need to check out Archie Perkins pronto

No mucking around with this lad elite decision making and gets the ball moving on in a blink.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Road to the Draft podcast with McDonald

Couple of things - has a lot of self belief , played in Country WA senior teams at 14/15 , loves Pendlebury , emulated his early games on him , had a growth spurt and was put forward, still believes the midfield is an area he can run through

Loves loves loves Collingwood and I thought he came very very close to saying '' I hope I go to Collingwood'' but he stopped himself and gave the standard '' play anywhere''

I personally feel he is a flight risk

Rates Reiwoldt, the King bros and

Lukosius

Road to the Draft podcast with McDonald

Couple of things - has a lot of self belief , played in Country WA senior teams at 14/15 , loves Pendlebury , emulated his early games on him , had a growth spurt and was put forward, still believes the midfield is an area he can run through

Loves loves loves Collingwood and I thought he came very very close to saying '' I hope I go to Collingwood'' but he stopped himself and gave the standard '' play anywhere''

I personally feel he is a flight risk

Rates Reiwoldt, the King bros and

Lukosius
Sounds a switched on guy. Took a different take that he seems happy to go anywhere. Does seem confident which I like. Our young group would be ideal for him with the likes of Hamill, Doedee, Worrell, McAsey, Butts, Stengle, McAdam, Sholl, Schoenberg, O'Connor, Jones, Gollant. Would be easy for him to buy in with a group on the rise who are roughly the same age. He will get games straight away with us as well which I am sure he would like. Want to see him in the All Star game but he would be one of two or three we would be looking at.

Last edited:
A question

If we get pick 2 as Crouch compo - can we trade it?

Should we?

I have a thought - scratch that - Collingwood have nothing
We can trade it. Should we ??? If it nets us a great first rounder in next year's draft you'd consider it

We can trade it. Should we ??? If it nets us a great first rounder in next year's draft you'd consider it
This is already the perfect scenario.
Pick 1 and 2 gives us so much flexibility not only to bid but we can strengthen our key position/s and or midfield in one swoop.
The selected player also has a year of development, why defer that?
Time to cash in our chips and worry about next years draft.... next year.

I hate to say it, but would you consider swapping Smith for Hately + Caldwell (plus your usual swapsies at the back end to even things out).

I love Smith as much as the next guy, he's been one of my favourites for a very long time. But there was a small rumour he may want out and I dont know, Smith just doesn't strike as one guy who will benefit from the route we are heading down and the way we are going to playing with developing kids. He has been pretty average this year to be brutally honest.

He's that icing on the cake type of player that may struggle to be super effective in games when he has a young midfield getting dominated too often and not feeding him clean outside ball in space (which we've seen a lot of this year already, its not going to get any easier and by the the time it does he will be 30+).

It's a big sacrifice to make, but if means we can net those 2, plus keep that GWS pick that would be huge imo. Gotta give up something to get something. Just whether or not GWS would be keen.

Maybe Seedsman may be of some appeal to them also if Perryman is looking like taking the coin somewhere else? Gives them 2 ready made, elite metres gained players to keep them challenging at the top.

Last edited:
All draft picks are unproven at AFL level. Was a stupid comment by an idiot.
Wait a sec Muzza, so you're saying.. if given the choice right now... you’d rather take two totally unproven at AFL level, interstate draftees from this years draft instead of two young South Australians in Luko and Rankine, lads that grew up supporting the crows and thus love the club, who are without doubt guns in the making and who have already shown us that they are gonna be top class players for the next decade at AFL level...

and you’re calling me an idiot?...

I hate to say it, but would you consider swapping Smith for Hately + Caldwell (plus your usual swapsies at the back end to even things out).

I love Smith as much as the next guy, he's been one of my favourites for a very long time. But there was a small rumour he may want out and I dont know, Smith just doesn't strike as one guy who will benefit from the route we are heading down and the way we are going to playing with developing kids. He has been pretty average this year to be brutally honest.

He's that icing on the cake type of player that may struggle to be super effective in games when he has a young midfield getting dominated too often and not feeding him clean outside ball in space (which we've seen a lot of this year already, its not going to get any easier and by the the time it does he will be 30+).

It's a big sacrifice to make, but if means we can net those 2, plus keep that GWS pick that would be huge imo. Gotta give up something to get something. Just whether or not GWS would be keen.

Maybe Seedsman may be of some appeal to them also if Perryman is looking like taking the coin somewhere else? Gives them 2 ready made, elite metres gained players to keep them challenging at the top.

Start the car!

Wait a sec Muzza, so you're saying.. if given the choice right now... you’d rather take two totally unproven at AFL level, interstate draftees from this years draft instead of two young South Australians in Luko and Rankine, lads that grew up supporting the crows and thus love the club, who are without doubt guns in the making and who have already shown us that they are gonna be top class players for the next decade at AFL level...

and you’re calling me an idiot?...

Original post was:

"Don't know much about Bruhn but I would take McDonald and Hollands over Rankine and Luko."

Your misrepresenting what I meant. If I had the choice of these 4 players in a hypothetical draft I would take McDonald and Hollands over Rankine and Luko as our needs currently are an elite mid and KPF.
Maybe partially my fault for not explaining the point but could have asked.

I rate Rankine and wouldn't be adverse to taking him at a later date but he has quite a lot of development to reach his full potential.

Luko is a good player but no I wouldn't be paying the farm for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back