Opinion 2020 Draft picks 1/9/22/23/40/56/66/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, 4th, Haw 4th)

which mythological creature you think would win in a fight, Bigfoot or Santa?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Crows Draft Hand Tweet

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates​

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Last edited:
I just want to see us fu** up everyone’s plans on draft night.

Bid on everyone. Please.
Haggis normally does... unless Reid has already blackmailed them for picks...

Now we can take it to the next level with pick #1...

Parfitt and 11 would work for me, tbh.
Yep I'd live with that and then really try and bundle up 11 and 20 to get a single digit pick. Would then use pick 28 bulldogs 2nd for Hately so we could end up with picks 1, 8 + another single digit pick, Parfitt, Hately and then our NGA / F/S picks

So could end up being Hollands, Thilthorpe and another mid + the rest above..it would represent a huge draft / trade period for us

Thoughts on this idea?

Pick 1: Crows bid. WB match. Crows select Phillips. Get a tough nut midfielder, competitor and leader.
Pick 2: Trade to Swans for 2021 first rounder and swap of 2021 later picks. Swans select Hollands
Pick 3: North Melbourne pick Thilthorpe as Ben brown cover
Pick 4: Crows pick McDonald. Best pure forward in the draft.

Pick 8: Crows select Archie Perkins. Class player.

Phillips, McDonald and Perkins. Nice mix. :D

Can we cancel the rest of the season already and just get on with the trades and draft??
"Pick 2: Trade to Swans for 2021 first rounder and swap of 2021 later picks. Swans select Hollands"

I get the feeling you're trolling us. we all want hollands lol.

3 first round picks?!?
No way
Three very late picks for a top 3 pick?

Those two late Geelong picks have the most value if you use them early in matching a bid.

If Geelong uses them to draft with, they slip out to 24 and 25.

There's very little chance they become stars but pick 3 could.

Works a LOT better than Sydney trading a top five pick next year to get one this year. Just won't happen. They're not trading their 2021 pick.

Definitely possible, however, my trade offers them an elite key forward along with their Academy player.
The other trade offers them players at 15 and 16 in a very difficult draft to make those types of picks, plus their own pick in 2021.

I guess it would depend on how highly they rate the pick 1 talent this year versus what they think they could get at their own pick next year.
No, you had them trading their pick next year to have two selections this year - McDonald and Campbell.

I had them trading DOWN this year, still getting Campbell, and keeping their top five selection and ANOTHER early selection in a better draft next year.

I just can't see people gifting picks in a much better draft next year.

That would actually be a decent scenario for both teams. We trade pick 21 or 30 for Parfitt, they use the extra cap space to bump Brad up to Band 1. Pick 2 and Parfitt for 21/30 and Crouch. And they effectively trade Parfitt for Crouch and 21 or 30.
LOVE IT.

No, you had them trading their pick next year to have two selections this year - McDonald and Campbell.

I had them trading DOWN this year, still getting Campbell, and keeping their top five selection and ANOTHER early selection in a better draft next year.

I just can't see people gifting picks in a much better draft next year.
As I said though, it depends on how highly they rate McDonald/Thilthorpe. If they think they are elite forwards, then it might be worth it for them.

What's the point of doing that?

Just seems like a waste of everyone's time to do pointless dick swinging.
So all clubs should let Essendon be absolute pricks when you are trying to trade a player in from them, but act fairly when they want one of your players. Yeh that sounds like a good idea...

Maybe I've been watching a different last 6w to you. Differential stats from these games (TC = total clearances, CC = centre clearances, SC = stoppage clearances)

Rd 18 (Rich): TC+1 (CC-4, SC+5)
Rd 17 (Carl): TC-2 (-3,+1)
Rd 16 (GWS): TC+10 (+6,+4)
Rd 15 (Haw): TC+3 (+4, -1)
Rd 14 (Geel): TC -5 (0, -5)

That's not terrible. We were a disgrace earlier in the year, but that is by no means the disaster you make it out to be.

Brad was # 1, but I like what we can do with a new stoppage coach who doesn't just rely on natural ability, but a system

Brad: 8, 3, 4, 8
Matt: 3, 4, 3, 5
Laird: 2, 11, 4, 3
Sloane: 5, 3,1, 5

No doubt the last six weeks were better but we are going down a path that removes the number 1 guy. That alone wipes all of that improvement out.

Then you are dealing with another elephant in the room that Sloane next year is going to be older and quite likely worse. Keays can probably fill that void, however, though your trading leadership for ability by then. If you don't target it in trades, your banking on kids improving without any hiccups, which is a very dangerous gamble seeing how random development can be.

Systems are great and can cause teams to over perform relative to ability. You still need some ability to execute however and we could easily be at the point we're asking for miracles without Brad.

Didn't we win clearances for the last month or so?

Yup, and we are about to lose one of the key reasons we did so...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it’s interesting reading supporters views at this early stage in what are for us unchartered depths in the off season with the picks and assets we have. Personally I feel the Crows have a genuine mulligan this year to make up for our 2018 draft, which promised so much and ended up being such a disappointment. it’s not often in life that this happens so this becomes absolutely the most important off season in the clubs history. Here are a couple of my thoughts for what they are worth.

Brad Crouch. I have heard of interest from Port, Essendon, Geelong, Sydney, Saints and North. If this is true then we absolutely will end up with pick 2 as this much competition is exactly what we need. I would think in fact, from the language coming from him and our club, that this is already happening.

Rory Atkins. Obviously already has a great contract in front of him so getting pick 21 at least seems assured.

Talia. Wonderful club man and player and it pains me to do it, but if we can get pick 7 from Essendon, then at this stage of our list management and with the really good young options in the wings, we would be mad not to do it.

Matt Crouch. No idea what the interest is but if we could get a 2021 1st for him from North say, even if we give up a 2nd or 3rd next year, then this is also a no brainer. Matt tries his heart out but his kicking is just killing the development of our Young forwards.

not sure why we would be looking at Hately to Graham tbh. We didn’t want Hately 2 years ago when we could get him and he has underachieved since then, and Graham is brave and a great leader but his production just isn’t there. The draft this year is really good, especially some of the SA kids, so we should put all our eggs in that basket.

contrary to some opinions there absolutely is a deal with the Bulldogs to be done. If we give them an upgrade on the points for pick 14ish and promise not to bid on 1 and 2 then they would be mad not to do it. In fact at present they don’t have enough points with all their picks combined to match a bid at pick 1 So it is probably them banging our door down.

a deal with Geelong to move up must also be a possibility if Tanner Bruhn is still on the board at 7 or 9, as they aparently love him. 12 and 17 for 7/9 seems high but with 4 high picks this year and list sizes shrinking I could see them doing it.

with all the above I can honestly see us going to the draft with 7 picks in the top 21 (1, 2, 7, 12, 17, 21 and 22), and 2 high picks and salary cap room next year to get amongst the Murley and Hornes of next year, as well as maybe have a go at a Rankine or Daniel. we can honestly build a fantastic team long term with this approach when you think of the brilliant young talent we have already.

as for the draft, as much as I love Tillthorpe, the amazing development of Himmelberg means that McDonald is the obvious option. With JJ and Gov gone , Tex and Lynch nearly finished and the question marks over Fog, a key forward is a must and if you really look, he is the only real option. Also an 18yo KPP being chosen in a league comps team of the year is Simply amazing. Not sure that would have ever been achieved before and we actually have the chance to get him, I can’t believe it. Holland’s is the other one who could be anything, 2 sided, balanced, skillfull with a brilliant kick and a great size. Wow. I would love to see us end up with:

1. McDonald
2. Hollands
7. Phillips/Macrae
12. Brayden Cook
17. Tom Powell
21. Caleb Poulter
22. Kaine Baldwin
later. Borlase, Edwards and Newchurch.

great key forwards and the makings of one of the best midfields in the comp with Schoenberg and Laird added.

as i’ve said i would only trade talia is deal is pick 6 and we can get davis back from gws who isn’t happy for a reasonable pick. davis can be the general and teach our young talls. i know it’s fantasy but that’s only way i would do it

Dont think Talia is worth much. 29 this year. If it meant Thilthorp and they were willing to upgrade our GWS pick. 8 and Talia for 6. Maybe they throw a late pick that we can use on NGAs.

I don’t think we can have the mentality that any player who turns 29 this year is a must keep. Im not keen on Davis. I don’t trust Nicks to play and develop our young players. Like I said was so disappointed last round that Butts was dropped even though both Talia and Hartigan were in the side. I would like to lose one of those three that played just to force the selectors hand. Obviously Talia is the only top player from that trio, but given his age....

Dont think Talia is worth much. 29 this year. If it meant Thilthorp and they were willing to upgrade our GWS pick. 8 and Talia for 6. Maybe they throw a late pick that we can use on NGAs.

I don’t think we can have the mentality that any player who turns 29 this year is a must keep. Im not keen on Davis. I don’t trust Nicks to play and develop our young players. Like I said was so disappointed last round that Butts was dropped even though both Talia and Hartigan were in the side. I would like to lose one of those three that played just to force the selectors hand. Obviously Talia is the only top player from that trio, but given his age....

The one thing I will add that if losing Talia gave us a decent hand at the draft, I would be OK with it. Your suggestion of Pick 6 is very enticing. I wouldnt do it for a 2nd rounder though.

Been reflecting on this a bit, those days of 100pt demoralising bashings, "appear" to be over given the shorter quarters and the diabolical set shots of forwards, not to mention game plans that can be designed to mitigate these kinds of losses in todays game, which can really destroy a Club. I still remember the good old days, when the Blues were getting routinely bashed and torn apart on Friday nights by 100pts and that kind of bashing stays with a Club for a long time. I mean they are still an AFL and VFL joke.

But if we end up with say McDonald, Hollands and Thilthorp, but lose Brouch and Talia, we will be way way ahead in our rebuild schedule. Hell we could even get an older delisted mature defender cheaply for a year as backup even or rookie list, just as a precaution.

Our list needed to be gutted. To get this opportunity to replenish it with high draft picks increases our chances significantly of doing this successfully.

Not found
Yep I'd live with that and then really try and bundle up 11 and 20 to get a single digit pick. Would then use pick 28 bulldogs 2nd for Hately so we could end up with picks 1, 8 + another single digit pick, Parfitt, Hately and then our NGA / F/S picks

So could end up being Hollands, Thilthorpe and another mid + the rest above..it would represent a huge draft / trade period for us
Can’t wait to hear geelong say every single player is off the table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back