MMA-UFC UFC 253 - Adesanya vs Costa

Dale_Thomas

Senior List
Apr 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Poor showing by Costa , didn't even test izzy , stood back and got picked apart
Cant stand Adesanya , hope someone knocks him out, doubt there is anyone in his devision that can tho.
Agree. I want nothing more than to see his lights get turned out, but can't see it happening.
Maybe Chimaev is our best chance at this point. But he's not even ranked in the divison yet.

Rocco sifreddi

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm guessing he was hoping to bank some early rounds with some kicks and save his gas tank for later. I think that's the real f’ed dilemma for anyone facing Adesanya, do you want into his counter or be patient?
Whittaker walked him down and got stomped.
Agree with that game plan but when you're leg is getting smashed , surely you have to change
Your strategy, costa gave him nothing to think about by standing there.

that gyno right? there is no other explanation...
Unless he’s finally going through puberty but no it’s a massive sign of juice wrestlers get it all the time

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Good co-main. Main...what a flop. You just scratch ya head sometimes. Costa disappointing... I'll be looking forward to see what he has to say.
Congrats to Adesanya on a clean, dominant performance.
What's the point of having a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu if you don't actually use the skills in your fight, especially against a guy who isn't anywhere near the level on the ground. So dumb from the Costa camp.

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Costa literally just stood at the perfect distance for Izzy to chop his legs and use his range.
Didn’t mix anything up. Never looked like even faking to shoot for a take down.

Some of the worst fight tactics I can remember in such a high profile event.

Sorry, but I can’t agree with your comments. You have incorrectly implied that there were ‘tactics’ by Costa.

He played a very solid game of statues.

the PILL

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
VICTORIA
AFL Club
Essendon
Izzy has achieved that level where his opponents are beaten before the fight even starts reservered for only a few MMA champions/fighters we've seen over the journey...

He's good and what's scary is i don't think he's peaked yet.

I reckon eventually a wrestler will get a hold of him but it might take a while...

Izzy to paulo’s corner after the fight

“I wrap my dick around my waist it’s a black belt”

Cejudo’s manager said there coming for volk Izzy replies “I’m gunna cum on your face”

Seems like Izzy is either embracing the homosexual innuendo in the build up or he’s actually bi

Great fighter people will pay to see him

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
What's the point of having a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu if you don't actually use the skills in your fight, especially against a guy who isn't anywhere near the level on the ground. So dumb from the Costa camp.
Haha, his take down attempts stays the same. Zero.

I believe you looked at the fight a little too much on paper, the black belt is significant but Paulo is a stand up fighter versing a better stand up fighter.
He doesn't really have wrestling credentials, I see the idea but its not his game.

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Costa literally just stood at the perfect distance for Izzy to chop his legs and use his range.
Didn’t mix anything up. Never looked like even faking to shoot for a take down.

Saw a comment somewhere that said the closest Costa got to finishing Izzy was when he was getting humped after the fight.

Last edited:

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
185 is such a weak division, as is 205. Colby should call out Izzy, Usman (but wont) should move up. Easy title shots if theyre loud enough

Meanwhile Izzy should call out Jan. Beating Cannonier does nothing, does anyone think hes that good? Izzy could be double champ by February.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
185 is such a weak division, as is 205. Colby should call out Izzy, Usman (but wont) should move up. Easy title shots if theyre loud enough

Meanwhile Izzy should call out Jan. Beating Cannonier does nothing, does anyone think hes that good? Izzy could be double champ by February.

I know Izzy has said he's fought heavy weight kick boxers before but The big pole is a different level of Power.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know Izzy has said he's fought heavy weight kick boxers before but The big pole is a different level of Power.
Id pretty confidently pick Izzy over Jan. Faster, better cardio, higher output, higher level striker, better feints and kicks, better with his range and timing. He would pick him off me thinks

Better fight than cannonier so hope it happens

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Id pretty confidently pick Izzy over Jan. Faster, better cardio, higher output, higher level striker, better feints and kicks, better with his range and timing. He would pick him off me thinks

Better fight than cannonier so hope it happens
You could say all of those things about Max Holloway and Francis Ngannou.

Not saying that Izzy couldn't but he ain't ever faced power like that in octagon.
Look at the ******* bruise on Reyes from that leg kick

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
You could say all of those things about Max Holloway and Francis Ngannou.

Not saying that Izzy couldn't but he ain't ever faced power like that in octagon.
Look at the ******* bruise on Reyes from that leg kick
I think Issy would comfortably deal with Jan. He is powerful but it’s just a different world.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think Issy would comfortably deal with Jan. He is powerful but it’s just a different world.
Bad example because both Chins have probably gone but look at what happened to the former champions in Weideman and Rockhold at 205. Both got flattened by the contenders. Blachowitz broke Rockholds jaw. It's a different level of power.

Bad example because both Chins have probably gone but look at what happened to the former champions in Weideman and Rockhold at 205. Both got flattened by the contenders. Blachowitz broke Rockholds jaw. It's a different level of power.

He craps on about being the goat a lot and i don't think you can be in the discussion anymore as a 1 division champ.

He's 6'4" and lanky as * already so no way he can go down, if he wants to be the goat he needs to go for it.

Back