Mega Thread 2020 Off-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi Everyone

As we head into the proper off-season, we are changing the idea of this thread slightly. We want a thread that is completely open-slather to discuss anything and everything. The Freo BF board is its own little community and we want everyone to remain connected. Feel free to post anything that comes to mind so long as it is within the normal board rules
Can we still have a ‘non-Freo’ thread, so we can talk about finals, other sports etc? Split the one thread into two?

Can we still have a ‘non-Freo’ thread, so we can talk about finals, other sports etc? Split the one thread into two?
I'll make a finals discussion thread and if the discussion on other sports gets big enough we can start a thread for them as well. Main idea is to have a thread where you can bring up anything you want

I can actually see the E Shed out the window from where I live now. Does that make my opinion even more valid? (despite the fact I grew up playing footy in the Claremont catchment and followed the Tigers).

I reckon the Freo Council are doing a pretty good job balancing all the crazy factions and starting to put some life back into the place. There are some great little places opening up again and the inner city redevelopment is going well.

We just had Hidden Treasure music Festival which is one of the jewels in the crown of WA live music these days and Yardstock was on the week before.
I love Freo Oval and that we still have the WAFL there. Having the GF there is absolutely perfect. Freo was going off yesterday.

At the same time I think it made perfect sense to take the club out of town and start with a greenfields location.

I'll make a finals discussion thread and if the discussion on other sports gets big enough we can start a thread for them as well. Main idea is to have a thread where you can bring up anything you want
So as long as we’re polite, we can rip the piss out of anyone who isn’t a Souths fan, is that right? And I get to bang on about the Australian Women’s Cricket Team while everyone ignores it?
Ok cool, I can do that. 👍🏽

It’s actually unique now. What other team, in the world, is named Dockers.

Yeah it's grown on me now for that reason. I didn't like it at first (would also have liked Sharks) but now I'm starting to think of it as a unique identifier like the Packers in the NFL.

At the moment it still has some negative connotations due to our less than sterling history, but I feel the word itself is fairly strong sounding and would carry a bit of weight and power if we ever become successful.

Mariners? Old day mariners were made of tough stuff.

Wharfies are wharfies, not dockers.

Ah but then - Painters and Dockers Union.

I’m surprised the name wasn’t changed to Stevedores when Harris and Rosich ran the joint.

Dockers was a dumb name from the start - its a Victorian term (we say wharfies) and Levi's had the voting trademark on it which meant we couldn't use the word on clothing.

It was only when we had the re-brand, that we reached an agreement with Levi's to use the name.

I do like its uniqueness but always felt they could have picked something better.

Dockers was a dumb name from the start - its a Victorian term (we say wharfies) and Levi's had the voting trademark on it which meant we couldn't use the word on clothing.

It was only when we had the re-brand, that we reached an agreement with Levi's to use the name.

I do like its uniqueness but always felt they could have picked something better.

I don't mind 'Dockers'. Not sure if I like the ring to 'Fremantle Wharfies'.

I do miss the anchor though. When (If) we win a premiership, I would love us to be wearing the original anchor jumper - a homage to the originals. The psychology about it weighing us down (the ladder) is garbage.

I've never liked it much either and swear it's used waay more by people that don't go for the club than supporters. I'd actually be happy if hey ditched it all together and we didn't have a nickname other than Freo.

Would love to live down the road in Mosman Park one day but I'm still about $1.2M short of the $1.5M it would cost to buy a house there.
I had grandparents who used to drink at places now owned by Notre Dame. they worked on the wharf. they didn't even call themselves wharfies let alone dockers. I think 'Dockers' is a term I use when I think of guys like Shaun McManus and the early 2000s... Dockers to me is about charisma.

Your opinion is never valid.
South Fremantle is not 4 Ks from Fremantle Oval. stop fibbing.

you ever had family play for Souths? probably not lad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had grandparents who used to drink at places now owned by Notre Dame. they worked on the wharf. they didn't even call themselves wharfies let alone dockers.
Not sure about this. My Dad worked on the wharfs in the 60's & 70's. He was a Foreman/Stevedore and I remember him using the term wharfy (I think, he died a long time ago). I do remember he called some of them "Lumpers" presumably the guys who were lumping the stuff on and off the boats when they still did it by hand. There were tally clerks too. Those terms I definitely remember.
That and the fact a lot of the new things we acquired around the house "fell of the back of trucks".
Some of my happiest memories as a child were going down the wharf with him on payday and him picking up his pay envelope and we'd go for a ride on a forklift along the wharf. Then inevitably end up in one of the West End workers clubs playing snooker or billiards while he had a few with the boys.

I've never liked it much either and swear it's used waay more by people that don't go for the club than supporters. I'd actually be happy if hey ditched it all together and we didn't have a nickname other than Freo.

Would love to live down the road in Mosman Park one day but I'm still about $1.2M short of the $1.5M it would cost to buy a house there.
you have 300 grand in the bank? aren't you a builder? I reckon you're a loser for using bigfooty but have a sneaking suspicion we'd get on well on a Monday in the heat on a site.

Not sure about this. My Dad worked on the wharfs in the 60's & 70's. He was a Foreman/Stevedore and I remember him using the term wharfy (I think, he died a long time ago). I do remember he called some of them "Lumpers" presumably the guys who were lumping the stuff on and off the boats when they still did it by hand. There were tally clerks too. Those terms I definitely remember.
That and the fact a lot of the new things we acquired around the house "fell of the back of trucks".
Some of my happiest memories as a child were going down the wharf with him on payday and him picking up his pay envelope and we'd go for a ride on a forklift along the wharf. Then inevitably end up in one of the West End workers clubs playing snooker or billiards while he had a few with the boys.
they were wharfies, my point was they saw themselves as just workers. lots of scabs in those days too. lots of scabs.

I like your memories though, very quaint.

my family arrived in Fremantle in the 1880s; my family were mostly in the wool classing industry down South Terrace.

other members of my family played for South Fremantle in the 70s but not much, but have some very impressive stats online. they worked o the wharf too. it's a shame Fremantle is losing the port. I'm as proud of this town as I am this club. at the end of the day, no matter what people here say, ultimately I want to feel vindication for this club, this town, and my family. it means more to me than you guys know. it's like my kid is Benny Cousins: I knwo what he was, what he could have been, and why he's an idiot.

I had grandparents who used to drink at places now owned by Notre Dame. they worked on the wharf. they didn't even call themselves wharfies let alone dockers. I think 'Dockers' is a term I use when I think of guys like Shaun McManus and the early 2000s... Dockers to me is about charisma.

South Fremantle is not 4 Ks from Fremantle Oval. stop fibbing.

you ever had family play for Souths? probably not lad.
Hahahahaha I’m a middle-aged woman you big ego young whipper snapper.

I moved. I’m now 1.6km from my previous home two doors down from the Davilak. Oh, I’m sorry that I neglected to change my location, therefore leading you on a merry dance of the mystery of locating IP. I’m about 1.5km from South Beach, which is 2.5km from Freo Oval. Beaconsfield is such a let-down after living in South Fremantle... 🙄

Let’s see - You’re right, I haven’t had a direct relative play for South Freo, but my cousin has been married to one of the 1980 premiership players for 40 years. I was about 10 when they were married, and very excited to be talking and mingling with half the players from that side that night. Ah the sweet memories of childhood. (As an aside, he was the coach at Aquinas who dropped a cheeky young upstart by the name of Nat Fyfe from the first XVIII when he was in year 11.)

My mother was the daughter of a Spearwood market gardener, and grew up with John Gerovich, the Grljusich clan, and was great mates with John Todd. I grew up with Allen Jakovich, and Peter Sumich’s sisters and cousins, and my sister’s best friend (since they were 4, they’re now 47) was the daughter of South Fremantle legend Fred Seinor - whose brother Fred jr was married to one of the aforementioned Sumich sisters.

In primary school I was best friends with the daughter of Tom Bottrell, long time trainer at Souths. They used to take me to the footy every week, and her brother (Tommy we called him when he was little) later played over 200 games for Souths. Each home game was spent in the club rooms after the matches, or running around kicking the footy out on the oval (that would be Freo Oval) till it was too dark too see it anymore. Then once the players had cleared out, Mr Bottrell would drive me home.

Oh yeah - my dad went to teachers college, and was best mates, with Cicco. You do know who Cicco is, don’t you? Try to keep up champ. Cicco still had time for a quick chat when I’d see him around Freo right up until he retired.

On the other side of my family - my great grandfather was an inaugural student in the late 1800s at the old Beaconsfield Primary School. He and my great grandmother were married in St Paul’s Church on Hampton Rd in the early 1900s. My great-great grandfather worked on the wharf in the 1800s, and his brother was killed when he fell off the roof of the old post office in Hampton Rd. Oh and you know that Hampton Rd - and Wood St - are both named for my ancestors? No I didn’t think you did.

Oh yeah - and my great grandfather, the Beacy PS one? He and his siblings were all born in the old family home on Lilly St in South Freo. I dare say some of my ancestors had a bevy or two in the old pubs down around the West End, as did my grandfather in the 50s/60s (a stock auctioneer at Dalgetty’s down the end of South Tce - it wasn’t always posh apartments and houses there you know), my parents in the 70s, and as did I sneaking in at 16-17 in the late 80s. Were you born then young fella?

And I remember the annual Lumpers Picnics - they were fun.

So please, don’t question my credentials as a Fremantle / South Fremantle person. Not at least until you start shaving. And even then I wouldn’t owe you a single breath of explanation, but here you are, the whole story, free of charge.

Now do me a favour and crawl back into your cubby house.

My grand parents had a place on Parmelia St, mum and dad were married at St Pauls and my dads first job was at the post office.
We’re probably related. 🤩 Parmelia Park is just up the road from my previous house. We used to take the kids there all the time. Friday afternoon with Buster the Fun Bus were especially exciting for them!

Hahahahaha I’m a middle-aged woman you big ego young whipper snapper.

I moved. I’m now 1.6km from my previous home two doors down from the Davilak. Oh, I’m sorry that I neglected to change my location, therefore leading you on a merry dance of the mystery of locating IP. I’m about 1.5km from South Beach, which is 2.5km from Freo Oval. Beaconsfield is such a let-down after living in South Fremantle... 🙄

Let’s see - You’re right, I haven’t had a direct relative play for South Freo, but my cousin has been married to one of the 1980 premiership players for 40 years. I was about 10 when they were married, and very excited to be talking and mingling with half the players from that side that night. Ah the sweet memories of childhood. (As an aside, he was the coach at Aquinas who dropped a cheeky young upstart by the name of Nat Fyfe from the first XVIII when he was in year 11.)

My mother was the daughter of a Spearwood market gardener, and grew up with John Gerovich, the Grljusich clan, and was great mates with John Todd. I grew up with Allen Jakovich, and Peter Sumich’s sisters and cousins, and my sister’s best friend (since they were 4, they’re now 47) was the daughter of South Fremantle legend Fred Seinor - whose brother Fred jr was married to one of the aforementioned Sumich sisters.

In primary school I was best friends with the daughter of Tom Bottrell, long time trainer at Souths. They used to take me to the footy every week, and her brother (Tommy we called him when he was little) later played over 200 games for Souths. Each home game was spent in the club rooms after the matches, or running around kicking the footy out on the oval (that would be Freo Oval) till it was too dark too see it anymore. Then once the players had cleared out, Mr Bottrell would drive me home.

Oh yeah - my dad went to teachers college, and was best mates, with Cicco. You do know who Cicco is, don’t you? Try to keep up champ. Cicco still had time for a quick chat when I’d see him around Freo right up until he retired.

On the other side of my family - my great grandfather was an inaugural student in the late 1800s at the old Beaconsfield Primary School. He and my great grandmother were married in St Paul’s Church on Hampton Rd in the early 1900s. My great-great grandfather worked on the wharf in the 1800s, and his brother was killed when he fell off the roof of the old post office in Hampton Rd. Oh and you know that Hampton Rd - and Wood St - are both named for my ancestors? No I didn’t think you did.

Oh yeah - and my great grandfather, the Beacy PS one? He and his siblings were all born in the old family home on Lilly St in South Freo. I dare say some of my ancestors had a bevy or two in the old pubs down around the West End, as did my grandfather in the 50s/60s (a stock auctioneer at Dalgetty’s down the end of South Tce - it wasn’t always posh apartments and houses there you know), my parents in the 70s, and as did I sneaking in at 16-17 in the late 80s. Were you born then young fella?

And I remember the annual Lumpers Picnics - they were fun.

So please, don’t question my credentials as a Fremantle / South Fremantle person. Not at least until you start shaving. And even then I wouldn’t owe you a single breath of explanation, but here you are, the whole story, free of charge.

Now do me a favour and crawl back into your cubby house.
My grandfather played with Jack Sheedy and won a flag for Old Easts in '43. Kicked 60 goals from 30 games between '43 and '45. Legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back