List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don’t get how Geelong, Richmond get these players. It's becoming more obvious to me, we are not a destination club, despite the vision of grandeur from Ed's mouth!!
Geelong have missed the 8 once in the past 14 years. Playing in their 5th GF in 14 years this week (3 Premierships); 6 Preliminary Finals; 3 Semi Finals. They have a handful of decent players (who are not over-paid) and a lot of second and 3rd tier players who are happy for the chance to consistently play in finals. They have a President who is rarely seen or heard and they play at their home ground 8 times per year.

Richmond are playing in their 3rd GF in 4 years (possibly their 3rd Premiership), made the PF in 2018. Has the biggest membership in the AFL and generating huge profits. Has a great President who has turned the club around from a basket case to a cash mine. Gale likely to be the next CEO of the AFL

I just want us to be bold and try something. We can't roll out the same list next year and expect a different result.

Id happily take the punt on Wright...or make a play for both polec and Ben Brown. Push for Hogan maybe. If De Goey is demanding too much, let him walk. I dont want to tie ourselves to even more high priced contracts as it only kills us in future trade periods as well.

Whatever happens, I dont want to see us turn up to round 1 next year with the same 22 that has got us close but not close enough for 3 years now and has had barely any change.

Credit to list management for keeping the side together...but it seems we have offered some very large contracts to existing players and forfeited a genuine play at some big name players.

If Geelong land Cameron, higgins and crouch, they are going to smash us next year. Need to try and keep pace with them.

I agree completely that there is nothing wrong with changing the list to improve our chances of winning a grand final, but what I can't stand is half the people on here acting like we have a loser/failure culture like the one's that have been established at North Melbourne or Essendon.

Over the past 20 years, Collingwood has made 5 grand finals (6 if you include the draw). That is the equal most grand final appearances with Hawthorn (5) and Geelong (5 including 2020). Adding to those 5 grand final appearances, we have 4 more preliminary final appearances. That is 9/20 years we have finished right up the top of the competition. Yes we have only come away with one flag, but the reality is anything can happen in these types of games, if things went our way we could have ended up with 3 premierships over this period, or even none at all.

We are a proud, successful club and we will continue to be moving forward. I will continue to have faith that our club will put us in positions to taste the ultimate success again.

the only two things the club is great at is not being able to win flags due to terrible club decisions and by not being able to build powerful lists to dominate teams, the play tiddlywinks....secondly, the club has magical powers capable of duping 98% fans all of the time....out of those grand finals we actually played for the cup only 4 times because to count 2 grand finals in 2010 as separate grand finals is getting desperate to praise the club....out of those 4 grand finals our team was not in the same stratosphere as the lions when it came to skill, power, and speed for 02 and 03....we had a powerful young team in 2010 and nearly lost that grand final before winning the replay easily....2018 was pure fluke, things clicked and despite the usual injuries to important players our young brigade stood up, am talking WHE, stephenson, de goey, sier, and probably others.....the list now is full of low skilled hacks, it can only win a flag steve bradbury style and yet nearly all here believe gunston and cameron are the missing link and the flag is ours lol....4 flags in 80 years for a big wealthy club with a huge fan base is far from a proud history....30 of those years has become more professional by adding more clubs, but the 50 years before that the pies were competing with few clubs and many small clubs and still couldn't win flags lol...people here praise hine and look at the list he built, Dustin Martin is a great player because he only needs a few possessions to do pinpoint great things, we have players getting 20-40 possessions who do nothing with the ball, mostly our players get the ball then eventually give the ball back lol....it is tiring ugly footy and even with cameron and gunston will not win a flag....many here believe guys like cameron will come to our proud club, but the fact is we only get players to come by giving them lengthy contracts and pay them well overs....gunston would be keen to come to the collingwood retirement home so he can ease off his workload and retire at the club on good money, after his amazing career where he has put his body through years of intense winning footy his body will start packing it in at the pies....to pry him out we will probably give 4 years at 700, while hawks pay the champ about 600 lol....cameron will not come because he knows he will have to carry the team week in and out....we over rely on too few all the time....daicos, buckley, cloke, pendles, swan etc....if it were a proud club with genuine intent to win flags then we would have big players wanting to come to the club....i mean playing at the mcg with huge crowds and passionate fans but players know the club cannot build lists and isn't after flags....the club is only about showboating and big talking....

Could we talk about Matt Rowell also, he'd fit well with the Bont

you lost me at Cam McCarthy

I don't really want him either but if we're a bit short on tall forwards (pardon the pun) then a cheap as chips deal for McCarthy wouldn't be the end of the world.

If there was another DFA out there worth looking at or a potential overlooked draftee (perhaps a state league mature ager) worth throwing a rookie pick at then throw their name in there instead.

Do Geelong have a Salary Cap?

Geelong have the mentality that the captain earns the most, then everyone is on less.
Jelwood 800k but vet money, Danger likely 800k and then Hawkins 1 year deals so would only be on like 600k ish and then nobody on their list springs to mind as earning a heap. Maybe Duncan?

But they have a ton of guys who would play for success and in the right culture for less money.... Menegola Guthrie Stewart Duncan Blicavs Dahl tuohy spring straight to mind, plus the other guys they have. Henry, Miers, O'Connor etc

They'll lose Gaz and Taylor off the books this year, Hawkins will take less and the show goes on. Jezza 900k, Crouch 500-600k but will be willed over by a properly managed team with real success in it's recent history, Higgins will cross for a flag and not money.. and there you have it. Not one player is bigger than the club....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown,
And things seem hard or tough,
And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft,
And you feel that you've had quite eno-o-o-o-o-ough

I simply just check out the Management thread and then I don't feel so bad.

I’m not swayed either way really but I actually think 2021 could be bucks last one. I think without a ruthless off season and change up players and off field next year could be very meh

2mp cannot beat out sexton ( l don’t rate) at Gold Coast, macdonald, except briefly is a terrible forward, and l rather develop Keane at fullback long term.
Getting them is not even a short term fix, little own long term
2MP isn’t competing with sexton for a spot, he’s competing with Day and King.

Geelong have the mentality that the captain earns the most, then everyone is on less.
Jelwood 800k but vet money, Danger likely 800k and then Hawkins 1 year deals so would only be on like 600k ish and then nobody on their list springs to mind as earning a heap. Maybe Duncan?

But they have a ton of guys who would play for success and in the right culture for less money.... Menegola Guthrie Stewart Duncan Blicavs Dahl tuohy spring straight to mind, plus the other guys they have. Henry, Miers, O'Connor etc

They'll lose Gaz and Taylor off the books this year, Hawkins will take less and the show goes on. Jezza 900k, Crouch 500-600k but will be willed over by a properly managed team with real success in it's recent history, Higgins will cross for a flag and not money.. and there you have it. Not one player is bigger than the club....

Funny how players cross to the cats or other clubs ‘for a flag’ but won’t cross to us for a flag. Last players i can recall might have been Ball and Jolly but they prob got a paid a packet so weren’t officially doing it ‘for a flag’. Even Wells was at the arse end of his career and was well remunerated.

2MP isn’t competing with sexton for a spot, he’s competing with Day and King.

2MP - Peter Wright, is that correct?

Nah I hate the Ross Lyon style of defensive footy. I want us to go all out and make Al Clarkson our next coach.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Call it Lyon, call it Clarko, call it whoever. Eddie’s best bet to continue as president (if we go backwards next season) is to bring in a big name. I’m desperate to get rid of Eddie, almost as desperate as he is to hold on to his last semblance of relevance.

2MP - Peter Wright, is that correct?
Yes. It’s also an AM radio station. I’m referring to the latter :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back