List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s actually pretty distressing for the club that we struggle / are unable to secure big time free agents.

Would be really interesting to know what our pitch is based around because whatever it is clearly isn’t working

Players generally want to move teams for three main reasons:

1. Culture of excellence and sustained success;
2. Lifestyle/family reasons
3. Money

Of these, No.1 is by far the biggest lure.

Collingwood presently doesn’t tick any of those boxes for most top echelon players.

We think we’re a powerhouse team but with only two Premierships in 60-odd years, I doubt many professional players see us in that light.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Should it be a concern that he can't take Day's spot? He's hardly a world beater
No he’s not a world beater by any stretch. I think it’s team balance tbh. Day is more mobile and physical I think Wright is the better footballer tbh, but Day simply compliments King better. He lacked continuity this year too, half the scratch matches he sat out because he was the match day emergency.

And you know this..... how?
But, but buck wants to win a premiership, how could he.
There is some nonsense going on tonight.
My guess is they want draft picks to reload the list, via the draft

But, but buck wants to win a premiership, how could he.
There is some nonsense going on tonight.
My guess is they want draft picks to reload the list, via the draft
The crazy thing is, that if Treloar does leave we’ll potentially be in a position to both recruit for now and load up at the draft. We can literally have the best of both worlds if we play it right.

2MP isn’t competing with sexton for a spot, he’s competing with Day and King.
Never competing with king. Maybe day, who l don’t rate that much either.
Talent wise yes, mentally l just don’t think he wants it enough

Call it Lyon, call it Clarko, call it whoever. Eddie’s best bet to continue as president (if we go backwards next season) is to bring in a big name. I’m desperate to get rid of Eddie, almost as desperate as he is to hold on to his last semblance of relevance.

I’m not anti Eddie actually a fan he’s self made

but surely we have supporters that heavy hitters eddies the most well known pres but other clubs have blokes you have never heard of who are absolute heavy weights in the business world like isn’t the saints pres the owner of SEEK for example

Never competing with king. Maybe day, who l don’t rate that much either.
Talent wise yes, mentally l just don’t think he wants it enough
Positionally, yes he’s competing with King. The suns run a 2 tall forward setup so those are the guys he’s up against. As I said in an earlier post, I feel like he’s the victim of team balance. Day is more mobile and aggressive, but Wright is the better footballer overall. Day just compliments King better imo.

Geelolingwood.

Collingwood, just lost a bet.

I thought you were a Cats supporter liking all our post, I had you locked away in the memory bank for late Saturday haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So when Geelong get belted on Saturday night are they going to have a thread with a massive whingefest going on?

I bet they do and it will be about how they are old and all washed up.

So when Geelong get belted on Saturday night are they going to have a thread with a massive whingefest going on?

I bet they do and it will be about how they are old and all washed up.

At least they will have Cameron to look forward to.

3. Money

Collingwood presently doesn’t tick any of those boxes for most top echelon players.

We think we’re a powerhouse team but with only two Premierships in 60-odd years, I doubt many professional players see us in that light.

A KPF would be silly to choose us. We'll expect him to be a saviour.

From the link Dave posted.

Adam Treloar is a beautiful misser.
He doesn’t shank set shots like Levi Casboult in the bad old days, he doesn’t kick the kind of finger-breaking floaters to leading forwards that put Matthew Richardson in a wild rage.

But as Collingwood bemoans another missed chance in a premiership window that won’t stay open forever, it will be doing a deep level of forensic examination into its strengths and weaknesses.

Of the 234 players who had 100 kicks in the 2020 season, Treloar had the third-worst kick rating.

That minus 7.8 kick rating takes in the degree of difficulty and every circumstance, and yet he was ahead of only David Swallow and Brad Ebert on that score.

Add in a single goal from 10 games and it is hard to build the case that Treloar hurts the opposition enough.

Despite elite ball winning, elite contested work and elite clearance work he is part of the problem in a Collingwood side with a midfield-forward connection issue.

On face value, it is hard to countenance the Pies offering one of footy’s most popular characters and all-round good guys just so they can keep bad boy Jordan De Goey.

As Jason Dunstall told Fox Footy on Friday night, if Collingwood is to officially put Treloar up for trade they need to treat him with respect by telling him instead of allowing an escalating whispering campaign.

Yet Collingwood is saddled with five more seasons of Treloar’s contract at a price tag that rises due to a back-ended deal just when they have other more pressing priorities.

Collingwood hasn’t had a key forward kick 40 goals since the dominant days of Travis Cloke way back in 2013.

Collingwood’s key forwards kicked the seventh-most goals in the competition this year (47) and ranked 11th last season (11), up from 14th in the Grand Final season of 2018.

It is why they have been linked to a series of key position forwards including Jeremy Cameron, Jack Gunston, Ben Brown and even West Coast’s Josh Kennedy.

Cameron is off to Geelong and Gunston is seemingly going nowhere but it won’t stop Collingwood’s chase for key forward tall timber.

As Nathan Buckley said in his final press conference, the Pies don’t need a single focal point, but the club’s key priority seems to be a hybrid forward to partner with Brody Mihocek.

This year Mihocek kicked 25 goals after last year’s 36-goal haul.

While 2018 brought a dynamic array of mid-sized goalkickers like De Goey, Josh Thomas and Will Hoskin-Elliott, Darcy Moore was the leading key position goalkicker in 2017 (25) and 2016 (24).

It is hard to think of many clubs which would be prepared to accept Treloar’s significant salary impost but, for Collingwood, it’s a matter of cap space.

Especially given what they have coming.

And the part you all want to know.

As veteran list builder Chris Pelchen told the Herald Sun on Monday, the Pies have Josh Daicos stepping into the breach and then his brother Nick in the 2021 draft.

Daicos is already seen as the No.1 pick in that draft, so if Treloar’s cap space could be turned into room for a bona fide key forward the deal begins to make sense.

“Josh has clearly had an outstanding season but the expectations for Nick are even greater. He has a bigger body and probably an even greater scope to play as a taller midfielder than Josh,” he said.

“No one would expect Nick to come in and play a similar role to Adam in 2022, but the long term prospects for Nick are outstanding. They might need to take what could be a step backwards in that particular position for the short term for long-term benefit.

“Especially if they can secure a premier forward in the competition.”

The only way I can see us still “winning” during free agency period is if we get a new forward line coach (we won’t because it’s Buckley’s best mate)
Get a new midfield coach (we won’t because Harvey’s the Senior assistant coach and Buckley’s mate)

Somehow keep Treloar and sign a new elite Mid.
Sign Ben Brown.

Change the game plan to suit Ben Browns and De Goeys strong leads.

Quite clearly it’s not as much a player problem because obviously they do have talent but their teachers, the coaches don’t have Plan Bs when we need to implement them.

3. Money

i’m tipping neither Lynch or Cameron looked at our 60 year flag history and rejected us.

Last edited:
Sorry, I just dont understand how any Collingwood supporter can accept mediocrity, on and off the field, the way you do.
Hey Doc... We must all be gluttons for punishment and be accepting of mediocrity to some degree (2 Premierships in 62 years) otherwise, we would have as many supporters as ..... North Melbourne

But seriously, why would they?
We are the biggest choke artists known to man, nothing has changed in 60 years.
We literally have the Colliwobbles name tag for a reason ....
We definitely had a run of grand final chokes. But in the last 43 years we have only finished on top (thus been the best home and away team) twice. 2010-2011. We won one of those flags and came up against another very hot, finals ready team in 2011. We haven't really choked in a fair while. If anything, the fact that we have made GF's while not being the best is an achievement. ie 2002,2003, 2018. I do think we the supporters and the club over rates our list often which could be to our detriment.

Hi Unplugged, really great effort. Below is some info you can find by simply Googling AFL Collective Barg

Hi Unplugged , great effort. Below is some more detailed info for you. If you like it’s on the AFL website the Collective bargaining agreement ( 124 page PDF )

2020 TPP and ASA ( Additional services agreement and sits outside the soft cap ) for clarity the ASA is optional to all clubs if they can afford to pay it. It’s basically club sponsors using players with the players being able to be paid for their services. Think Treloar with fox footy.
TPP is $13,013,257
ASA is $1,159,763
Total = $14,173,020.

TPP = $13,273,522
ASA = $1,194,555
Total = $14,468,077.

All players can also licence of use their “ Tools of the trade “ This is for Boots, Glove or headgear . This must be a min Cash payment of $20k . Dusty gets $100k for his boots sponsor. You can imagine the club ensuring Key players have this so it sits outside the Caps.

Licensing is a big spinner now ( Dusty made over $350k after last years GF )

AFL Ambassador’s is $1.7m across selected players ( Grundy gets some of this I believe)

interesting is the injury payment the AFL pays every year to the AFLPA $4.2m. This is to cover career ending injuries whilst still under contract ( Eg Langdon / Beams ) This may not come out of our cap.

senior base payment outside of Draftees / Rookies for 2021 is $110k PA and $5k per senior game or hold over emergency .

Just re Stevenson estimates of $200k I think your about $125k light. As per payments of 2018 his first year made over $213k as his base was $95k, $4k match Payment x 26 games and $12k games bonus plus $2.5k for top 10 pick.

2019 base of $130k $5k Match payments x 14 and $12k Games bonus.

really good job.

Very interesting. Makes me realise how important it would be for a list manager to really know the ins and outs.

Hell of a lot of sooking in here. We didn’t get Cameron move along next target. I don’t think People realise Gunston is only 1 and a half years older than Cameron.

Gunston isn't a KPF though. Mihochek already fills his role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back