Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

If Rhyce can sort out his issues and come back in time then I still want him to see through 2021 or take up his defensive coach role again.

If the issues are not dissipating then he needs to step away from football for a longer period of time, and I would hope that in the fullness of time. that he could return to Arden Street in some coaching capacity.

If Rhyce can sort out his issues and come back in time then I still want him to see through 2021 or take up his defensive coach role again.

If the issues are not dissipating then he needs to step away from football for a longer period of time, and I would hope that in the fullness of time. that he could return to Arden Street in some coaching capacity.
Yeah his life has revolved around footy and he clearly loves the game, and is very good at what he does. I would hope he comes back.

The job must go to an assistant who has had an active role in team with a reputation of winning.

Needs to be someone that a team wants to keep desperately and feels pain when he walks to us.

No ex-VFL coaches
No new-starters
No almost have beens
No caretaker coaches

That leaves us with these organisations

- Geelong
- Richmond
- West Coast
- Hawthorn

Love Shaw to bits, but I would be looking for a permanent replacement and have him do his time as an assistant at North.

A 38 year old coach, who had his supporting assistants marched out the door, senior players traded, club budget slashed in the midst of CoVID is too much.....

Simpson or Clarkson would make the AFL world really freak out and build momentum for us but it’s a .000001% chance at best.
I really think we need an experienced and mature person in charge. Let’s face it the spirit and camaraderie at the club is broken. Fractures, rumours, instability everywhere. It’s not a pleasant place to be at the moment unfortunately. We need someone that has been there, done that, understands footy club culture, can instantly garner respect from the players and has the necessary ‘footy life’ experience to know what needs to be done, make the right decisions and stick with them. The closest person out there currently is Mark Williams. Him and Blakey would be a good combo for our club as it cu stands. I like his enthusiasm, he’s a footy nut and I reckon he would relish the challenge in getting a club back on it’s feet.

Let's put our coaching selection hats on and make a list. Select your five best candidates for the senior coaching role:

Coaches

Andy Collins, Adrian Fletcher, Peter Sumich, Dean Solomon, Michael Voss*, Scott Burns, Nathan Bassett, Michael Prior, Robert Harvey, Gary Ayres*, Adam Kingsley, Blake Caracella, Marc Webb, Jarrad Schofield, Sam Mitchell, Ben Hart, Marty Mattner, David Noble, Darren Glass, Matthew Knights*, Brenton Sanderson*, Mark Williams*, Craig Jennings, Paul Roos*, John Worsfold*, Don Pyke*, Peter German, Anthony Rock, Leigh Adams, John Barker, Ross Lyon*.

* Denotes senior coaching experience

How AFL clubs pick coaches: The hidden process

Assuming no current coach is poached and Rhyce doesn't return in the same capacity.

1. Sam Mitchell
2. Jarrad Schofield
3. Adam Kingsley
4. David Noble
5. Nathan Bassett

Obviously I have no idea but that's how I have it from some quick reading.

So much depends on how we structure things.

We could go Noble as coach but he'd need some help. Caracella or Jennings for the football brains. Would be a Fagan style path.

Alternatively we go with Mitchell and have Roos there with him.

Either way the experience is needed in our case.

I like Mark Williams but his time at Port Adelaide ended way back in 2010. Pagan left Carlton in 2007. I think there's better experience out there if we were to go down this path.

Last edited:
She actually did. I just watched it again.

Her exact words were "I can confirm that I reckon"

Can't make this sh*t up
So can you confirm or do you reckon?

I haven't watched it, and won't but there is a quote that simply says "I can confirm" then some crap I can't remember somewhere upthread.

That is great if she said it. We can get it on Twitter and all you twits can flood whatever crap show she is on's Twitter feed with it every time she says anything.

I would forget she existed if I wasn't a member here.

Simpson or Clarkson would make the AFL world really freak out and build momentum for us but it’s a .000001% chance at best.
I really think we need an experienced and mature person in charge. Let’s face it the spirit and camaraderie at the club is broken. Fractures, rumours, instability everywhere. It’s not a pleasant place to be at the moment unfortunately. We need someone that has been there, done that, understands footy club culture, can instantly garner respect from the players and has the necessary ‘footy life’ experience to know what needs to be done, make the right decisions and stick with them. The closest person out there currently is Mark Williams. Him and Blakey would be a good combo for our club as it cu stands. I like his enthusiasm, he’s a footy nut and I reckon he would relish the challenge in getting a club back on it’s feet.

North was never known to be a place to have spirits and camaraderie’s broken, most resilient club.

Love to see how we respond post season and post coaching changes (should there be more)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming no current coach is poached and Rhyce doesn't return in the same capacity.

1. Sam Mitchell
2. Jarrad Schofield
3. Adam Kingsley
4. David Noble
5. Nathan Bassett

Obviously I have no idea but that's how I have it from some quick reading.

So much depends on how we structure things.

We could go Noble as coach but he'd need some help. Caracella or Jennings for the football brains. Would be a Fagan style path.

Alternatively we go with Mitchell and have Roos there with him.

Either way the experience is needed in our case.

I like Mark Williams but his time at Port Adelaide ended way back in 2010. Pagan left Carlton in 2007. I think there's better experience out there if we were to go down this path.
Just throwing another name in the mix "Sumich" has stood down from WA state development coach, was an assistant with Freo.
Definitely a solid coach for a young building team.

Just throwing another name in the mix "Sumich" has stood down from WA state development coach, was an assistant with Freo.
Definitely a solid coach for a young building team.
Every time i hear his name mentioned, i get a mental picture of Danny Southern putting the Sleeper Hold on him to great effect.

Apparently Choco is even more out there these days. Can't see us having the risk appetite. I presume those advocating Sumich have never heard him speak.

I'd give Caracella a call. Would be interested in what Hawthorn's plans for Clarko/Mitchell are, especially with Dictator Jeff there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back