Free Agency Brad Crouch [joins St Kilda as a RFA for pick 23]

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a question..why would the crows be worse off if they matched the bid?
Can someone explain what the issue is with Adelaide saying they will match any offer under 700k that is what RFA was designed to do

Let the player get maximum value for himself but also let the club have first rights if they wish to reward the player

That's not an issue, of course they could match the offer if they want the player and can afford him. The fact is they didn't re-sign him, and now they would only match in order to trade him immediately, it's a crappy move... firstly it's not a good look. Secondly the Crows would then be holding a disgruntled player against his will on a 5 year contract but need to offload him... if they're looking to win a trade then they are completely misguided, no other clubs would be interested and they won't get any better than the free pick 19 compensation they are set to receive.

If they work something out and get pick 2 that's great. If they match only to trade but not to keep, I don't think it will work out better for them.

That's not an issue, of course they could match the offer if they want the player and can afford him. The fact is they didn't re-sign him, and now they would only match in order to trade him immediately, it's a crappy move... firstly it's not a good look. Secondly the Crows would then be holding a disgruntled player against his will on a 5 year contract but need to offload him... if they're looking to win a trade then they are completely misguided, no other clubs would be interested and they won't get any better than the free pick 19 compensation they are set to receive.

If they work something out and get pick 2 that's great. If they match only to trade but not to keep, I don't think it will work out better for them.
Gary Winter was pushed by Rowe and Bickley on 5AA yesterday on that exact issue and winter's comment was that Brad is a professional and knows how RFA works and will remain an Adelaide player. He loves the club and it would appear if he can't get the move for big money he will stay rather than look at the national draft etc. This is almost the polar opposite of the Saad situation at Essendon..it is a bit unusual

the talk in SA since last year has been that Crouch would prefer to stay and is chasing the $ which he initiated by approaching GC. If the dollars aren't coming the idea that staying in Adelaide on the maximum he can currently get is some kind of nightmare scenario for either him or the club is far fetched.

Gary Winter was pushed by Rowe and Bickley on 5AA yesterday on that exact issue and winter's comment was that Brad is a professional and knows how RFA works and will remain an Adelaide player. He loves the club and it would appear if he can't get the move for big money he will stay rather than look at the national draft etc. This is almost the polar opposite of the Saad situation at Essendon..it is a bit unusual

Yeah I just read that. It contradicts what the man Crouch actually said. They're playing sides against each other. He's got the money from St Kilda, he accepted that offer. Honestly I wouldn't mind him staying at the Crows as it doesn't sound like he's really bought into moving to Melbourne.

Yeah I just read that. It contradicts what the man Crouch actually said. They're playing sides against each other. He's got the money from St Kilda, he accepted that offer. Honestly I wouldn't mind him staying at the Crows as it doesn't sound like he's really bought into moving to Melbourne.

He's recently said he's looking forward to the Melb move and only shortly prior to that said he wants to stay in Adelaide. I honestly believe he's really just chasing money and if that happens to be at St Kilda or Adelaide he'll be ok with that. Maybe Adelaide's original offer was 500K and he shot for the maximum, came up short and now he manages to get 600K by either club depending how this pans out. That's a win for him either way.

From the Winter interview, I got the impression that Crouch's preference in an ideal world would be to stay at Adelaide with a five year deal, but Adelaide haven't been interested in offering that many years. If Adelaide do match, what's to stop Crouch from just accepting the offer and staying?

From the Winter interview, I got the impression that Crouch's preference in an ideal world would be to stay at Adelaide with a five year deal, but Adelaide haven't been interested in offering that many years. If Adelaide do match, what's to stop Crouch from just accepting the offer and staying?

I think that's a very real possibility and not the end of the world for the club or Brad. He started this ball rolling 12 months ago on the back of a B&F winning season and went out to try and drive his price up. Club has said if you think you can get that go, we'll be compensated with pick 2 if you get what you think you're worth. He's actually been pretty open with all of this during the season for those who've followed the SA media coverage of it.

absolutely nothing..it will be interesting because the supporter base will be fine with it, but it won't be the clubs preferred option if they have been reluctant to offer up 5 years previously. Having said that, if it ends up being 5 years on $600K, that is actually fairly cheap for the club to retain its best mid coming into his prime years as a player and is likely a lot less than what they were thinking they might have had to stump up with what Crouch was looking for.

Oppo supporters really don't understand free agency. It's not whether a player is worth a certain pick, it's the band.

I understand the band.
However I can’t see how the poster above said most crowd fans will be happy to keep crouch if pick 2 is off the table...

I mean he has opted to take a rivals offer over yours which from all reports is almost identical.

absolutely nothing..it will be interesting because the supporter base will be fine with it, but it won't be the clubs preferred option if they have been reluctant to offer up 5 years previously. Having said that, if it ends up being 5 years on $600K, that is actually fairly cheap for the club to retain its best mid coming into his prime years as a player and is likely a lot less than what they were thinking they might have had to stump up with what Crouch was looking for.
It seems a bit like the whole situation has gotten to this point by both Adelaide and Crouch thinking that the offers from external club would be massive. Once it gets to this point though, it'd be highly unusual for the player to end up staying. I think the clubs will work it out and he'll end up at St Kilda. It is a strange situation though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the band.
However I can’t see how the poster above said most crowd fans will be happy to keep crouch if pick 2 is off the table...

I mean he has opted to take a rivals offer over yours which from all reports is almost identical.
where has it been reported the crows have already formalised an offer for Brad? I thought this whole process has been to find out what sort of offers there are and Crouch has got one he likes from St Kilda. I thought now it is the time for the crows to decide whether to make an identical offer or to allow him to go and take a compo pick, which they hope will be band 1

I can't see how it wouldn't be pick 2. St.Kilda are obviously going to offer more than market so the Crows won't match and they can keep pick 15. I suspect the Crows will then take an overpaid saints player outside of the best 25 back in return for a late pick.

I.E
Option 1 - Saints offer Brad $600k, Crows match, they lose pick 15 - Crouch $600k and overpaid Saints player $400k = $1m
Option 2 - Saints offer Brad $750k, Crows get pick 2 compo, saints draft kid with pick 15, trade overpaid non-best 25 player - Crouch $750k and Saints first round draftee $150k = $900k.

Saints are taking option 2 everyday of the week. I suspect it will be pick 2 compo for the Crows.

It seems a bit like the whole situation has gotten to this point by both Adelaide and Crouch thinking that the offers from external club would be massive. Once it gets to this point though, it'd be highly unusual for the player to end up staying. I think the clubs will work it out and he'll end up at St Kilda. It is a strange situation though.
I agree and there is no doubt a lot of posturing going on and by Winter yesterday. He is a very clever man and will no doubt end up getting the best deal for his client and the clubs will sort it out

where has it been reported the crows have already formalised an offer for Brad? I thought this whole process has been to find out what sort of offers there are and Crouch has got one he likes from St Kilda. I thought now it is the time for the crows to decide whether to make an identical offer or to allow him to go and take a compo pick, which they hope will be band 1

lol so you’re telling me the crows have not made any pitch or offer to Crouch?
They’re just going to do that in the 72 hour window of “matching or not”?
You can’t believe what you’re writing can you?

Champ, these guys are professionals. You don’t think Crouch’s manager would’ve gone to the Crows & said we’ve got this offer, match it, or we go public stating intention to seek trade to St Kilda? Brad & the Crows have moved on from one another.

lol so you’re telling me the crows have not made any pitch or offer to Crouch?
They’re just going to do that in the 72 hour window of “matching or not”?
You can’t believe what you’re writing can you?
What??..this is the process and now the offer has been made by the saints the crows can decide whether to match or accept compo..you do understand that don't you?

What??..this is the process and now the offer has been made by the saints the crows can decide whether to match or accept compo..you do understand that don't you?

Of course they can choose to match or not.
However do you think the crows have not made any offer to crouch in the lead up to this?

Well there it is on radio, trade of this type declared outside the rules. Good dream while it lasted.

Heard club legend Malcolm Blight is making a playing comeback so you can fix your issues and actually name a medal after a real Adelaide player.

Why is it a crappy move to ensure the best result for your club

Is it crappy move st Kilda accept monies from other clubs who work hard to earn it under the equalisation fund it is just the way the AFL have set up the league

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Champ, these guys are professionals. You don’t think Crouch’s manager would’ve gone to the Crows & said we’ve got this offer, match it, or we go public stating intention to seek trade to St Kilda? Brad & the Crows have moved on from one another.
I reckon Gary winter knows exactly how to play it and being a solicitor it will well within the guidelines

The system let's him gain maximum $ by playing off both clubs against each other

Crouch simply wants tbe most money, is there any problem with that

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, I know what you're saying. There's zero chance the Saints give up their first round pick to get free agent Crouch though, that's just not going to happen. If the Crows match they'll be stuck with a disgruntled Crouch for 5 years on big bucks, unless the Saints bail them out with a worse pick than 19!

Will Webster and Dunstan get a game at the Crows? I think they would. I don't think the Crows would be doing the Saints any favours there, the Saints aren't in any cap trouble and can hang on to them for another year.

It's all about the Crows though, how desperately they want to upgrade their FREE pick from 19 to 2, and how much they want to gamble with the AFL.
I’m not stoked to be throwing away Webster for free we still lack speed and foot skills something he has when fit his still best 18 for us I believe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back