List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Because he's a good footballer?

and that is something a lot of people on this board seem to forget. Sure he isn't Bolton, Richards, Barry or Grundy, but he is a pretty good defender, and now we don't have Maibaum on our list our options for tall defenders is only Aliir, Melican and McCartin, and to be honest I would prefer McCartin up forward. Losing Aliir would stretch our already thin defensive stocks to breaking point.

and that is something a lot of people on this board seem to forget. Sure he isn't Bolton, Richards, Barry or Grundy, but he is a pretty good defender, and now we don't have Maibaum on our list our options for tall defenders is only Aliir, Melican and McCartin, and to be honest I would prefer McCartin up forward. Losing Aliir would stretch our already thin defensive stocks to breaking point.

I am not convinced our defensive stocks are that bad, particularly as I like McCartin as a defender. But I still think Aliir has the potential to be better than all of those mentioned. Which is not a knock on them, more an indication of how good I think he can be.

Allir is better when he doesn't have a opponent to worry about.

Melican, McCartin and Brand (and Rampe) can take the bigger defenders (throw Fox in there too). Aliir has never really played this role (and when he has it hasn’t been particularly successful).

He is your third defender and is probably competing with Rampe (If the above was to take the best two forwards), Mills or even Fox.

Gould has also been recruited and O’Connor is cooking in the background too.

I think Aliir is expendable for the right trade where it strengthens a weakness in another area (as I think we have enough cover in defence for Aliir).

Why do they want him so badly?

I watched a fair bit of Port this year. Mainly trying to see where their improvement came from.

They have solid tall KPD's but rather immobile and have little intercept run. They would throw Brad Ebert back (sometimes forward too) for that role and whilst good mark and below the knees, he was not an ideal 7th loose defender slowish on his retirement year.

AA makes some sense to me.
But as stated by others, if it is not for Hayes or a tall (or AA behavioral issues?/ request for opportunity$) then forget it .
It seems they have initiated but maybe Swans put it out there .
Make it GOOD offer Port! the window wont last beyond Dixon /Boak

Last edited:
Melican, McCartin and Brand (and Rampe) can take the bigger defenders (throw Fox in there too). Aliir has never really played this role (and when he has it hasn’t been particularly successful).

He is your third defender and is probably competing with Rampe (If the above was to take the best two forwards), Mills or even Fox.

Gould has also been recruited and O’Connor is cooking in the background too.

I think Aliir is expendable for the right trade where it strengthens a weakness in another area (as I think we have enough cover in defence for Aliir).
For the right price!! Not giving him up for a packet of chicken chips.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Aliir is going to be more effective for a side that can pin the ball in the opponents defensive 50. He offers unpredictability in attack and has less defensive responsibility.

I think he is more likely to struggle when we are under constant pressure and facing repeat inside 50s.

So I feel like we will benefit from him as we become more of a mid table team.

I watched a fair bit of Port this year. Mainly trying to see where their improvement came from.

They have solid tall KPD's but rather immobile and have little intercept run. They would throw Brad Ebert back (sometimes forward too) for that role and whilst good mark and below the knees, he was not an ideal 7th loose defender slowish on his retirement year.

AA makes some sense to me.
But as stated by others, if it is not for Hayes or a tall (or AA behavioral issues?/ request for opportunity$) then forget it .
It seems they have initiated but maybe Swans put it out there .
Make it GOOD offer Port! the window wont last beyond Dixon /Boak
Ebert retired.

I also don't really want to have a massive thread with just these posts being argued about.

All we disagree on is the effect that the injured players out have on our team. That's fine, we can disagree on that. Ultimately will see who's right next year, and for the record, I would LOVE for you to be right.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing Buddy tear up the competition, for Heeney to be back to his best, for Naismith to come back strong, to see our team take a massive step as a group.

I just don't want to be dissapointed again.
Yep.. I guess we disagree that the effects of having all tall forwards, rucks and defenders (so that only McLean is left) + 2 of 3 captains + Heeney + Hewett + Ronke (why not) has on a young developing team.
Just to be clear, IMO Injuries to all those players makes winning very hard. You think differently?

I dont think anyone is expecting Buddy to 'tear up the competition' next year, but his presence on the field is huge for the players around him.
Why wouldn't Heeney be at his best next year?
Naismith isn't coming back, but when him and Sinclare were injured ,, things were pretty s**t.

The other thing we disagree on is that you think we should be trading p3 for an elite mid, where as I think we should take p3 to the draft and start seriously trading 2021-22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back