List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Treloar Collingwood situation looking bad.
Gold Coast would be stupid to invest in him

Awkward asf if true

Recruiting midfielders who can't kick never ends well. Generally if you're trading in a high-price mid, it's to elevate your midfield. If they can't kick, then you're actually going the opposite direction.

GWS laughed to the bank in the Shiel and Treloar trades! Getting 4 first rounders for two blokes who can’t kick!

He has attributes that none of our current midfielders have can break lines with pace.

Collingwood are pushing him out make it happy Harley.

He can't kick. That's the one attribute all our current midfielders have.

Edit: Actually that's unfair to Hewett, Blakey & Rowbottom.

Originally in another board, but I this is the best argument for trading pick 3 to improve next year.

On the topic of Dusty, I think he is a cautionary tale on how to develop players, and what to expect of them at certain times in their career. (I've insulted the use of Brownlows, and I'm only using them as a metric since I can't remember dustys season at all from 2014-2016)

Dusty at 23 is stock standard imo, doesn't really feature on the Brownlows.
24 he gets his first pretty good year and gets 7th.
25 he's shown glimpses but hasn't put it together. Tallys 3rd in the votes, behind Parker, but is probably less consistent with higher highs.
26 he explodes on to the scene and has an incredible year.

27, 28, 29, imo doesn't remain as consistent in the home and away, but is the best player currently in finals.

Isaac Heeney is 24 and was never given a chance to have this year, Mills is 23, these two blokes still haven't fully developed, and although I'm pretty confident they won't be dusty, the fact that we are judging them as worthy/not worthy already is laughable.

It also shows, that even though I think we are closer to the top than a lot of others think, we also have to wait for a lot of our blokes to reach that 24-26 mark before they can consistently impact games.
Expecting Blakey to put it all together next year and be the player he can is only setting yourself up for disappointment.

IMO pick 3 will only set us back longer, having another part of our future team be 6-8 years from reaching their peak.

If we really want to be better next year we have to hit the trade table, but if all we get next year is pick 3, Campbell, and Gulden, we are going to be struggling to get close to the 8 next year.
Trading pick 3 gives some people nightmares about Warren McKenzie.

IMO it's having to take two relatively highly ranked players from the Academy in the one draft that is in some ways holding us back. it gives little flexibility in our recruitment strategy and the recruiters will have to be extremely creative during the trade period and draft to improve the overall list.

I support having the Academy and the Club has to draft the players of AFL standard who graduate from it. Otherwise there's no point to it. But there's no control over when the highly talented players come through, and if its success grows, the Club may have to let other clubs draft some of the players.

Perhaps the Club might find that there is an error in Campbell or Gulden's birth certificate and one of them is too young to be eligible for this year's draft?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS laughed to the bank in the Shiel and Treloar trades! Getting 4 first rounders for two blokes who can’t kick!

Hardly call Caldwell (left them), Sam Taylor (who they got in return for Matthew Kennedy was their original pick), Himmelberg, Matthew Flynn and Toranto laughing all the way for the bank considering they had to give away the picks that gave Fremantle Logue and Darcy and Brisbane McCluggage and Berry so they could move up to get Toranto. You can include Ash as well (I won't) but they had to spend 3 first round picks to trade up to get him and that just creates its own trade tree. They were kind of lucky in trading away players like Bugg and McCartney who were busts and traded above value for them.

Collingwood however would be happy with the picks they got, turning their picks into Tom Phillips and Sier as they can still return more value than what they drafted them at.

Proves drafts picks are overrated.

What we really need is to know is how many players there will be on the list next year and how much we can pay them.

We still don't.

In this article is says that some clubs, I would think us very much one of them considering how we have only announced limited list changes to this point,"have held off on list management calls in the hope they know before the Trade Period what the number would be".

Why are clubs "hoping" to know what size the list will be before the trade period starts? How can clubs be going in to the trade people not knowing such a fundamental limitation on their list structure for next season? It is just crazy.

The current list sizes and player payments are linked to the CBA and it’s perfectly acceptable that the AFLPA are fighting really hard to see as minimal changes to playing lists to protect their membership.

The only way the AFL can set a lower number is if the AFLPA agree and they change the current CBA.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Add Hawthorn and O'Meara to that list, albeit from a different club.

Jack Bowes and Sam Flanders for O'Meara seems a steep price, but Gold Coast did give away Liam Ryan and Brodie Kemp via Brayden Crossley to get to Sam Flanders in the end......

Just for reference.. Gould 191cm 98kg. Melican 195cm 98kg. Not much shorter than Melican and same weight.

4 cm is a fair bit - but also (vaguely at some point) looking at them I'd reckon Melican has far more reach advantage over Gould. Both can be effective for sure using different strengths, but...that height and reach counts for punches etc. We need 3-4 options 195 cm and over at a minimum IMO.

If Having the older McCartin On the list helps the resigning of the younger during’21, for the sake of category a or whatever it will be called than do it I say. Would have thought there’s a few in front of Fox and Melican before they are moved on...both had break out years and will be even better next year, imo..
Conversely getting him and then cutting him cause he sucks might help us lose the good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back